Car Hire from Tampa Airport - Your Experiences

Floridaaddict

Earning My Ears
Hi

We're travelling into TPA via Toronto in August. First time hiring in Florida anywhere other than Orlando and would appreciate any experiences and recommendations of the major car hire companies at Tampa Airport.

• Hard sell on upgrades?
  • Queues?
  • Good availability?
:car:

Thanks

Have done Tampa Airport 3 times now and used Budget (via US Rentacar) each time. In answer to your questions:

Hard sell on upgrades - don't remember any sell at all but there was probably something - I didn't buy anything.

Queues - 1 or 2 people only, but only one person serving there as well who was doing everything so it did take a few minutes.

Availability - not sure what you're after. We've had 2 x 7 seater minivans and a 7 seater 4x4. The 4x4 had flat tyres and warning lights on in the dash so they just changed it. There weren't loads of vehicles on site to choose from though.

I would thoroughly recommend Tampa - very relaxed and low stress. All the hire companies offices are close and the cars are opposite in the multi storey car park. Takes about 90 minutes to get to Orlando and it's an easy drive.

Just been to Tampa once, last August.
Use Budget booked thru Usrentacar with free upgrade from Intermediate to Full size.
We did indirect, arriving at about 9pm, maybe busier in the afternoon when the BA flight arrives but at 9pm there was just 1 agent working, 1 person in front of me who was done in a couple of mins.
Was told no upgrade available, no hard sell at all. Gave me keys we went out and DS could not get his legs in back seat, went back to desk and asked if anything else, explained it was 3rd rental with them within the last few months, other 2 at MCO with upgrades no problem. She found us a full size which was great.
I have heard before Miami and Tampa don't have as good success rate with free upgrades as MCO does.

Thanks for the information guys.

Have got to say thanks to Wayne for posting the thread a while back about the Air Canada Executive First flights offer for August, which we booked!!!

We are flying Heathrow to Tampa via Toronto and are scheduled to arrive in Tampa at 1.00pm.

I think we wil probably book with Usrentacar again, but book a Full Size and see if we get the upgrade to the Premium.

Good to know its an easy drive up to Orlando.

Had a good service from Budget last year, very helpful when DH decided to take the car keys for a swim in Aquatica!!!!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the information guys.

Have got to say thanks to Wayne for posting the thread a while back about the Air Canada Executive First flights offer for August, which we booked!!!

I almost booked those flights, glad we waited though, got Delta buisness Elite for similar price. No idea how the services compare but Delta are from Manchester, far easier than London for us. Will be even better if they get their new layflat seats installed before we go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter