• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car crash!

_Athena_

n00b!
I have been on a happy/sad roller coaster this past two weeks!

I was in a car wreck last Monday- the other driver was at fault. I'm fine after a week but my poor 2001 RAV4 did not make it! Now I don't have a truck to tow my trailer so DH and I are in a pickle! The other driver's insurance still has not accepted liability and they are dragging their feet! Grrrrr! This is my first accident and I am amazed at how unorganized the whole process is turning out to be.

I have a rental but of course I can't tow anything with the rental and I can't fit our tent poles (2 7' 4x4s) in the silly rental car! So it came down to spending waaaaay too much for a hotel room on site or camping in a 4person tent for a week. No way I'm spending my disneymoon sleeping on the ground! I decided to go ahead and purchase a new 1010 RAV4 and because I'm 30 and I plan to drive it until it dies I wanted my dream SUV- a specific color with some upgrades. Lucky me the dealer called around and one was being made in Canada! Before it went into production I was able to have them add the upgrades- heated leather seats (a must in cold Ohio!) and an ipod docking station. But now I'm in a pickle. I don't know if the car will clear customs in Chicago in time to take it to uhaul and have the hitch installed. So I called up Disney and got our dates pushed back by a few days. No problems- except for the dining. My dinner reservation at the Crystal Palace is now a lunch reservation- a real bummer for DH and I.

Its going to come down to the wire if we make it in on the 12th- or if I have to push back our trip by a few more days. I just hope FW has room for us if we have to push our Disneymoon back to the week of the 25th! Not exactly how I wanted my Dec to go but any trip is better than none!

WELCOME to the boards !

Bummer ! But I say, "Keep the faith", and may some of that pixie dust at Disney get caught in the winds and land on you, :thumbsup2

Okay...first.....WeLcOmE to the Board!

Let's look at this from a different perspective....

You were not seriously hurt....BIG PLUS! That could have negated your trip altogether.

The accident was the other guy's fault! Another big plus.

You've got a new car on the way and may only have to delay your trip a few days.

Your new car has heated seats! :woohoo:(My DH's car has A/C's seats - which is very nice when you live in Florida)

YOU WERE NOT SERIOUSLY INJURED!!!

YOU WILL BE COMING TO THE FORT!!

Life could be worse! Be thankful for the positive stuff, and enjoy FtW!!

By the way....this may be a long-shot - but if you end up having to get an attorney to settle this, make sure the attorney knows about having to change or possibly cancelling your vacation plans. It might be worth something.

You need to talk to the rental company and the insurance agency. I do believe they are required to rent you a vehicle equivalent to the one that was wrecked. When my mom was hit driving her Astro, they wanted to rent her a car. She refused. They were gonna rent her a minivan. She refused. They wound up renting her a Safari. They should rent you a midsize SUV at least, since that is what you were driving. Not sure if you can tow with a rental, I doubt they would have a hitch. Maybe they will rent you a truck that does have a hitch. I know I have seen rental trucks for towing.

What kind of trailer do you have? With a Rav4, I can't imagine it is that big, so I am sure they should be able to get you a rental that can tow it.

Also, if you do get a room, when you settle your claim, include the increase in price of your vacation in it. Not sure if they will do it, but it is worth a shot.

Glad you are OK. Hope it all works out for you.

Sorry to hear about the accident but happy everyone is fine and not hurt. Give 'em a hard time and get them to settle quick.

My BIL was in an accident when he was still a teenager. The insurance company for the other driver (who was at fault) kept denying responsibility and kept claiming that it was his fault because he was the inexperienced driver. He did not need the car for work at the time, so it sat in the driveway for weeks (months I think) before it went to court. The judge took a look at the photos of both cars, read the police report, and went after the other insurance company because it was so obvious from the photos. Even made them pay $15 per day for the storage of the car while the claim was being challenged (similar to what a local garage or auto body shop would be allowed to charge while waiting for a settlement).

Thanks ya'll for the pixie dust! I am in a HHR which is NO small suv, but it is the same rough size. Unfortunatly neither Hertz or Enterprise has cars/suv's that can tow. The last thing I want to do is rent a truck from UHAUL- i'm not made of money for the gas! Don't giggle- I currently tow a very small trailer- made for a harley cruizer! But I will have the abillity to tow 3,000lbs with the new truck.

I went to the car dealership today and it looks like they are going to hot ship my car from Chiciago- should be here on the 10th! Unfortunatly the Army decided to cut my DH's leave short so I have to push back (yet again) and try to trade in our MVMCP tickets for the 13th to the 15th. This will cause our CA Grill reservation to be dropped (no openings for thurs or fri) but I guess we can just find another place to eat. Hard to get ADR's at the last min!

I will get to the Fort! I will get to the Fort! I will get to the Fort!

YAY!!! on the car.

Boo on his leave getting shortened.

Have fun!!!

Unfortunatly the Army decided to cut my DH's leave short so I have to push back (yet again) and try to trade in our MVMCP tickets for the 13th to the 15th.

Will this give you time to get the hitch installed? I was wondering if you'd need to call U-Haul and make an appointment ahead of time (before the car even arrived). I'd hate for you to have too small of a window once the car arrived - and you were able to get an appointment with U-Haul.

Will this give you time to get the hitch installed? I was wondering if you'd need to call U-Haul and make an appointment ahead of time (before the car even arrived). I'd hate for you to have too small of a window once the car arrived - and you were able to get an appointment with U-Haul.

All ready ahead of ya! I have my reservation with the nice folks at Uhaul for Friday. So hitch on friday & pack the truck, roll out on Saturday to husband, pick him up in NC. Sleep in car and arrive in FL sometime around 1ish on Sunday!

All ready ahead of ya! I have my reservation with the nice folks at Uhaul for Friday. So hitch on friday & pack the truck, roll out on Saturday to husband, pick him up in NC. Sleep in car and arrive in FL sometime around 1ish on Sunday!

Good planning! We should be arriving Saturday also!

ARGH!!!!!! So now DH's pass paperwork was denied for dates so we had to move our vacation AGAIN! So now we are going the 18th-24th.

First off, let me say Thank You for your husband's service and for your sacrifices that allow him to serve our Country.

Secondly, your flexibility and positive attitude throughout this is inspiring. i would have probably given up on the trip by now...but you and your DH are undoubtedly going to have a great Disneymoon once everything falls into place.

Third and Finally....you are going during a magical time of year. Have a GREAT trip! I hope the pixie dust works its magic and you get everything you wish for on this vacation together.

Welcome :) and Thank you from my family to yours. Don't worry, you'll get there and it will be the BEST disneymoon evah! Have fun

Thanks ya'll for all the warm fuzzies :) I will admit I am coming close to throwing in the towel- on the vacation and on DH but that's another story!

So just after I changed our reservations I realized that we had tickets to MVMCP on the 17th! So, I changed our reservation again because MVMCP on the 18th is SOLD OUT! I think this is like change 5 now? Idk. So back on the reservations line I go! Now we are 17th-23rd. I'll drive from OH to NC on the 15th, spend the night at DH's apartment and we can leave on the 16th. The plan is to spend the night somewhere in GA and sleep in! I figure we can roll in around noon on the 17th, set up the tent, relax (cause it's vacation!) and go to the party on the 17th!

HOLY COW! My DH is retired Navy. I miss a lot about our military life, but not the up in the air planning. That drove me nuts. You are doing good, and I'm glad your ressies have been available.

Just wanted to suggest the Hawthorne Suites in Savannah, GA to stop for the night. It's a nice place, and offers a great military discount. My kids call it the "shiny floor hotel".:rotfl: When we aren't towing the camper that is our stop the night before we roll into the World. Have a wonderful trip and Merry Christmas!:santa:

Welcome to the boards, sorry about your car accident, sorry about your crummy car rental, glad to hear your new suv will be ready, sorry your ressies keep having to be moved, glad you're still making it to MVMCP, have a magical trip, happy disneymoon, congrats on your wedding and huge thank you to both you and your hubby for your service to our great country!!! WHEW!!! I need a nap now! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter