Car activities for a 2 year old?

MrsTink04

DIS Veteran
We are driving to WDW from Atlanta (approx 7 -8 hours) We are leaving at nap time and taking a DVD player with movies. I don't think that's near enough to keep my 2 year old DS happy. Please give me your ideas! Thanks!!! :flower3:

I have a 5year old and 3 year old. Our drive will be similar in July. We are staying over night in TN and then finishing our drive.

I planned coloring books with crayons from the dollar store.
Dvd player with new DVD (wall-E)
Stickers of mickey and princesses for coloring book.

Placemat of US with stickers on locations we will drive thur.

Bubbles for rest stops

MP3 player for five year old with High school musical music.

two new toys from the dollar store.

I have another stuff planned but can't think and watch TV at the same time.

Mariah

A travel MagnaDoodle was great for my son, but he had never used one before the trip and I kept it hidden until I "needed" it.

We have travelled quite a bit with our daughter both in the car and extended plan trips. As another poster indicated give things that your child has not played with before or at least remove for several weeks so it has "new" excitement.

Color Wonder Coloring Books - a lot less messy with a young child
Sticker books
Books - lots of touch and feel or move the flap type books
Light Up Spinning Toy - don't know what you call it, but totally occupied our
daughter at random times in the car and in her stroller
Finger puppets
Travel Doodle Pro
Bendable People, party favor type toys
Alphabooks - these are the best small alphabet books (26 small picture books)
Magnet Books

* be prepared to clean the floor of the car at stops but these items can occupy. Also we have a great travel desk so small items can be placed in front of our daughter like a table and she can color and stuff better.

I know there are tons of other things that I am not thinking of. I keep a bin in the closet and add to it.

Check out the Party Store - good disney theme color books, stickers

wrap everything in disney themed paper. the thrill of opening a cheap toy is often a distraction enough!

I love these ideas. I will be traveling with a 20month old in July. We have about a 13hr. drive that we are doing in 2 days. I love taking bubbles to the rest stops. What a great idea!

Keep them coming!

how about a lap tray, to play on. Play dough. window clings. i always make little packages for every so often with a cheap toy (car, little doll, ect.) a drink box and a snack(not always a healthy one suckers seem to make my kids very happy;) ) We dont do fast food but I play off the Happy meal idea.
Soothing music or happy kid music. Hope you have a nice trip.

My kids love Wiki Sticks. They're like pipe cleaners in that you can bend them and make things out of them, but no sharp end. They are pieces of string covered with colorful wax. I always have some in my purse for times when we wait at restaurants, dr. office, etc.

We will be driving to Oralndo next month with my DD4 who is ADHD and I got her princess and mickey mouse window clings from the dollar store, ordered 2 disney CDs one with lullabys and one with fun songs, a Mr. Potato head with a suitcase full of parts(consignment sale find), Ccoloring books and crayons, her portable DVD player, her little einstein laptop, and lots of snacks(she loves to snack) and last but not least benadryl

I have an 18month old and live in Georgia as well! We go to florida a lot and honestly, she doesn't need much for the trip. I usually get her a new small toy to play with or new book to read. We also bring a couple of movies to watch. She's pretty content with that and alternates sleeping and playing. She's wonderful on trips because we go so much! Or maybe she was just blessed with my ability to always sleep in the car.

This thread is exactly what I needed. I'm heading down with a 6, 3 and 2 year old....thank you!

Our Magna Doodle was priceless in the car when the kids were that age. Depending on how close to three, we also relied on the Leap Pad that is made for toddlers. (My First Leap pad???) You may be able to find one used on ebay, etc.

At home we limit the kid's tv watching, but have come to the point that our DVD player in the car is a LIFESAVER (and sanity saver :scared1: ) on long trips. We live 8 hours from family and do that trip a couple of times a year so I speak from experience here. You can find some inexpensive DVD players that go on the back of the head rest. Wait to get it out until she is bored with everything else.

Have a great trip!

I got him a MagnaDoodle and a "Cars" Color Wonder packet, along with a new DVD. I love the idea of wrapping the toys because he has been asking for presents almost every day since Christmas. ;) I will also be taking a stash of Matchbox cars and books.

Luckily, my girl friend had an extra back-of-the-seat portable DVD player that she was glad to loan us.

I really appreciate your help. The DIS is the BEST!! :thumbsup2

We drive all over the place! We've done 15 hour drives straight through. I agree with many of the suggestions! One I would add is finger food! Cheerios, gerber treats, fruit snacks, lolly pops, etc. (but watch the sugar highs, though).

Also, I put all the toys in a large tote bag that has come with us on all of our trips. I call it "Mommy's bag of tricks." When they get a little stir crazy I pull out the bag of tricks with something new to do. Kush balls are lots of fun to toss around a minivan!!! :rotfl:

Have fun and don't stress about it too much. It'll be fine!

I have been trying to think of things myself. This is our first long road trip with my DS (9) and DD (1 1/2). I got some nick nack toys and crafty wooden magnets to color. but I love the idea of color wonder and bubbbles. thanks for the ideas.

:cheer2:

We're leaving tomorrow for a 17 hour drive with our 2 year old :scared1:

I'm a bit worried, but not so much--I have a box of little toys to surprise him with underneath his seat, little candies, DVDs and, most importantly, teenagers to play with him.

I think he'll do okay--we'll see!

Take advantage of rest stops an take a ball an play for 10 to 15 mins Out away from the crowd of course.

Stop at fast food resturants with a play area let the kids play while you eat then let them eat after you back on the road they'd rather play than eat anyway usually.

OR pack a lunch an eat at rest stop let the kids play then

I never was much for letting little ones eat in car but made exceptions when traveling they was able to get rid of some energy while I ate an had something to do for a few mins after we was back on the road. We planned to stop at next rest stop to clean up the food mess usually their wasn't any.

Take the lap trays they great for coloring an eating both.

For those of you that have lap trays...which ones do you recommend? They have such a big price range...

My kids love Wiki Sticks. They're like pipe cleaners in that you can bend them and make things out of them, but no sharp end. They are pieces of string covered with colorful wax. I always have some in my purse for times when we wait at restaurants, dr. office, etc.

We love these too!!

I also second the wrapping little gifts. - We've driven to my dad's ever since DS was small, and I always fill the same special bag with little things I've picked up; he gets to pick one out every so many miles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter