Captains Grill refurb

Nohal

DIS Veteran
According to another site Captains grill is being refurbished and closed from May to the end of September. I don't see this info on any other site. Seems like it will be closed for a long time. The site says you can eat at Ariels Grotto which I have no idea where this is. Does anyone have any info on this?

Ariel's is at the Beach Club, so not far away. It used to be their "upscale" restaurant, until it closed in the late 90s. (Three sit-downs was enough for BC/YC.) I never got to eat there, so I'm thinking about booking Captain's Grill for our September trip just to get the opportunity.

The long downtime is because the place is getting a major makeover as part of the significant convention center upgrades at the YC. It will be interesting to see what it's like when it re-opens.

Ariel's is at the Beach Club, so not far away. It used to be their "upscale" restaurant, until it closed in the late 90s. (Three sit-downs was enough for BC/YC.) I never got to eat there, so I'm thinking about booking Captain's Grill for our September trip just to get the opportunity.

The long downtime is because the place is getting a major makeover as part of the significant convention center upgrades at the YC. It will be interesting to see what it's like when it re-opens.
Do you have any idea if the menu will be the same? I really like the crab cakes that they have at the Captains Grill.

Do you have any idea if the menu will be the same? I really like the crab cakes that they have at the Captains Grill.
I'm interested in the same question.
No inside info, but my guess is that it will be the same, or largely so. The present kitchen staff will probably be relocated, but I'm assuming that the actual kitchen will be different. (I think the CG shares a kitchen with the Yachtsman, but Ariel's is presumably far enough a way that it and Cape May have their own kitchen.) So I would guess they'll make the same food.
If the refurbished Captain's Grill will also be getting a new menu, it wouldn't be a surprise if the "CG in Exile" transitions to the new menu at some point.
All this is just my attempt at speculation informed by a little logic. I could be entirely wrong.

ETA - one thing that might inform us is the rehab that the Grand Floridian Cafe went through back around 2010, when they were temporarily moved to Citricos for breakfast and lunch. If I remember correctly, they were called "Citricos", but the menu was that of the GFC.

This is from an email I received from Disney regarding my upcoming stay. Menu specifics aren't being shared.

Additionally, the table-service restaurant, Captain’s Grille, will be temporarily relocated to Ariel’s due to refurbishment. During this time, breakfast, lunch and dinner will continue to be served out of this location, but please note that the breakfast buffet will no longer be available. Quick-service dining options will also be available to you at the Market at Ale and Compass Marketplace.

Is it the same menu that it used to be?

As stated in the posts above yours, nobody knows this for sure yet.
I had read that the menu would be the same, minus the breakfast buffet as noted above.
But at this point it is all speculation on posters part. Until it moves and there are first hand reports I doubt we will know for sure.

We are just going with it! DH and I love the Captain's Grille, and are going to WDW by ourselves in May. The way we look at it, we love Captain's Grille, and have never eaten inside Ariel's before...what have we got to lose? :) Ariel is also my favorite princess, so it seems like it's worth a try!

We are just going with it! DH and I love the Captain's Grille, and are going to WDW by ourselves in May. The way we look at it, we love Captain's Grille, and have never eaten inside Ariel's before...what have we got to lose? :) Ariel is also my favorite princess, so it seems like it's worth a try!

We're eating there because of Ariel too! She is my favorite princess! We're also staying BC so it's easy.

According to another site Captains grill is being refurbished and closed from May to the end of September. I don't see this info on any other site. Seems like it will be closed for a long time. The site says you can eat at Ariels Grotto which I have no idea where this is. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks for the heads up, my sister will be in WDW in June and she just made a reservation for breakfast at Captain's Grill (I suggested the restaurant to her). I wonder why Disney Dining allowed her to make the reservation since the restaurant is going down for a refurb during her stay.

So I'm guessing sometime between now and the reservation, she'll get some sort of a note saying "hey, be sure you go to Ariel's instead of Captain's Grill!" Right now the CG web page says right up front "we're moving for a while", and even emphasizing the under the sea theme of the temporary location.

Today was my ADR day:cool1:. I wasn't able to make a reservation for dinner in September. Web site said no available times the day I wanted to go. I'm wondering if they aren't opening anything this far out as the refurb says till the end of September. I'll keep checking as the time gets closer but for now I made an ADR at another restaurant.

Last edited:
@Nohal, I was doing some tinkering and found that reservations were offered up through 8/31, which is late in the period of the refurb, and then nothing. It doesn't explain why, could just be another of those "not loaded into the system yet" things.

I was trying for Breakfast in September and was getting no times Available also.
Probably too close to the CG re opening!

The only reason I booked this ADR for the first week of July is that I've always been dying to go into Ariel's. Never been to Captain's Grille before. Excited to give it a try!

Does anyone know if the refurbishments has started yet? If so has anyone been to the temp location?

I am thinking about making a breakfast reservation for middle of May.

Does anyone know if the refurbishments has started yet? If so has anyone been to the temp location?

I am thinking about making a breakfast reservation for middle of May.

WDW site says mid-May. We'll have to wait for an on-site report.

Temporary Location at Ariel’s
Join us at our temporary home right next door at Disney's Beach Club Resort from mid-May to fall 2017. While the restaurant is undergoing refurbishments, Captain's Grille will be relocated to Ariel's. You can access this restaurant via the Resort lobby.

After seeing the way they decimated the menu at Flying Fish, I wouldn't count on the menu being the same after any restaurant renovation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter