Capmpground b/w Pensacola and Tallahassee?

jsmla

DIS Veteran
Y'all have been so helpful so far but I do have another question.

I'm trying to convince hubby to make our 700 mile trip in two parts. We'd probably leave Baton Rouge around 2:00 PM. It takes me around four hours to get to Pensacola in the car so I'm thinking we can get further. Tallahassee is around 6 1/2 hours.

Anyone know of a good stop between the two that's not too far from I10? We would need a decent bath house. Our camper is old and it's a pain to hook up the water and sewer, especially in the dark. We don't use the fresh water holding tank ever. Years and years ago we used to overnight in Lake City but that's definitely too far for this trip.

If no campground does anyone know of a hotel where we could park the camper overnight in the lot?

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Jennifer,

We came through that way last summer, and stopped at the Chatahoochee KOA. It's about 30 miles west of Talahassee, and from what I remember, it took us about 5 hours from there to the Fort(including a stop at a Walmart along the way to buy shorts from my daughter since we left all hers back in Michigan). Easy pull through spots, pool, good showers, and they were even cooking pancake breakfast for $3 the morning we left....Plus its only about a mile off of I-10, on the same road as the exit from the highway.

There were some other ones closer to and a little east of Talahassee that we considered, but after a long day driving, we chose the first one we could get to...

We would stay there again if our travel plans have us ending in that area again after a day of driving. Hopefully the summer of 2012.....

We are coming from Slidell, La. We've only camped once at FW, but we are returning at the end of May. The first time we just stopped at a Holiday Inn Express. It wasn't any trouble to park the TT. This time we are looking for a campground. Hopefully easy in and easy out. I've seen this one mentioned http://www.bigoakrvpark.com/. Do you usually need to make a reservation for these campgrounds? I'd like to get as far as I can.

I graduated from Slidell High!

Thanks for the campgrounds. Back in the 90s we'd actually leave from my parents' house in Slidell and make it to the In and Out campground in Lake City but that's too far if we leave after lunch.

Jennifer

On our way home from DW, we stayed at the Arrowhead Camp Resort in Marianna, FL, right off of I10. It seemed run down to us. The playground was kind of falling apart, and the dump station was a hole in the ground right next to the playground, surrounded by caution tape! Maybe they were in the middle of fixing things up, or maybe the place is a dump. I couldn't tell you.

They apparently have great fishing there. The campground check in is a little work area in the corner of a gas station, surrounded by newspaper clippings about fishing in the area. We just stopped for the night, so we didn't get to do any fishing, but they have a nice pier and access.

It was alright for a quick stop overnight, but I wouldn't vacation there.

Not the best of help, I know, but I thought I'd give you the info to do what you will with it :)

We stopped at the Chattahoochee KOA last year after leaving WDW. I seemed like a nice place and we settled in for the night. Couldn't get the power to work. Found out we were in the middle of a power failure for the whole area. Massive storm had just gone through. They were nice and lots of people were congregated on the porch of the office building talking about the weather. Since we had small children on medical equipment we made the decision to move on. We moved on another 300 hundred miles or so to Mobile to our daughter's house. What an evening.

We stay at the Chattahoochee KOA. The owners/operators offer a food menu at check-in with delivery to your site. The CG is about 1 mile south of I-10 at exit 166 (please double check me on the exit number but I think I'm correct). The KOA signs at the I-10 exit were being replaced/updated the last time we stayed but the CG is operating. Nice place and great hosts.

We live in East Texas (about 45 miles SW of Shreveport). We leave here about 7am, meet my parents in Lafayette, LA about 11am to drop off the dog and head toward WDW. Before we camped we usually stayed in Tallahassee or Lake City. Last year was our first year taking the RV and we made reservations ahead of time and stayed at O'Leno State Park. We got the only pull-thru in the place- we made it there about 10pm... pulled in, hooked up, had a snack and hit the sack. It was so nice and peaceful out there. We had a great stay and headed out about 10 the next morning. At $18 a night you can't beat it!

I will be making reservations to stay there again this December.

JE

Hi Jennifer,
small world....My sister graduated from Slidell High in '83. I graduated from Northshore in '89. I leave May 24. Students have 1/2 day on the 21st, but teachers have to work on the 24th. I'm leaving as soon as I can. Not sure how far I can make it. Have a great trip!

Hello! You might want to check out the Tallahassee RV Park. Its on the SE side of Tally. There is a Publix Grocery Store/gas station/Subway Restaurant nearby and, if you like cars, its close to the Antique Car Museum which is pretty cool. There is some road construction on Mahan right now but it shouldn't be a big deal.

We're big state park advocates.

Falling Waters is a nice stop along the way. We stayed there a few years ago in a tent. I can't remember the bath houses but we had to have used them extensively with being in a tent. Its a beautiful campground with lots of trees. Plus you can't beat $18/night! And at 360 miles from Baton Rouge it puts you pretty darned close to the half way point.

We didn't camp at Falling Waters, but we stopped for a picnic once. The bathroom was extremely clean. We didn't use the shower. The area we were in was very clean..trash cans empty, etc. I love the Florida State Parks.

We have stayed at big oak rv park in Tallahassee. It is nice and easy in and out.
I can't tell you about the restrooms because we didn't use them.
The rv park is about 4 miles north of the interstate and easy to reach.
If you arrive late they will have somebody there for you to guide you to your
site.
It is not a super fancy place but works great to stops and short visits to Tallahassee.
Happy travel.

I've stayed at the Chattahoochee KOA and it was fine for an overnight. There is also a KOA in Milton, FL, just east of Pensacola. It is a really nice KOA. We lived there during the summer of 2008 while we were between houses. It has really big pull thru sites. Amenities include a large pool, really nice playground, mini golf, game room, camp store, dump station, great bath houses, and they even have a dog park with agility equipment! It is just off the interstate, too.

I live about a mile and a half from the KOA in Milton. It is nice. We've hosted some of our end of year baseball parties there and purchased day passes. The kids love it. And it is literally right next to the I 10 off ramp so you don't have detour off the interstate very far.

Like Figmentfan1, We also live in East Texas and have made the trip many times down I10. One time we stayed at the Milton KOA. For me it was perfect. You can literally see it from the highway. They have nice level pull through sites and a nice camp store. All KOAs have nice bathhouses. I highly recommend the Milton KOA. I think from there its about 6 or 7 more hours to the Fort. Have a great trip!

We have stayed at Falling Waters state park, it would be a nice quiet place to stop. With a hiking trail to the falling waters waterfall, you might like after a day of driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter