• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Capital One? anyone use them?

I once reported my card lost and when they sent the replacment card when I called the 800 to activated it I was told it was already activated. They sent an active card thru the mail!

I guess I don't really understand all the hate with Chase.
I didn't really research Credit Card companies before I got one..

I just did the teenager thing and applied..

Chase was the ONLY company that would give me a card. I figure it's because I had direct deposit paychecks of approx $500 biweekly going into the highest level bank account Chase offered, but I don't know. Do they look at things like that?

They gave me $1000 credit limit on a Disney Visa and I'd only been 18 for 4 months..

Never had any problems with them and will eventually work down my other cards (Like Capital One which I just got because my car needed repaired :-/ ) but will most definitely keep the Chase!!

I like my Cap1 Card and all.. ONLY credit card company that didn't charge me a "Finance Fee" for using it Abroad.. but it doesn't earn rewards! :-D

Shelly F - Ohio said:
I once reported my card lost and when they sent the replacment card when I called the 800 to activated it I was told it was already activated. They sent an active card thru the mail!

This is true as Cap1 also sent me an active replacement card in the mail. No tracking, no expedited service, just regular 1st class. I was shocked when I called to activate it and was told "it came activated, is there anything else I can help you with"

twinklebug said:
I'll disagree with the comment that Cap1 does not report payments. I paid off my Cap1 card and they reported it properly & promptly.

QUOTE]
They do report your payments. They don't report you credit limit.

we have them and i have had no issues
dh and I each have a card with them and its been easy and we pay online every month in full
its quick and easy

Here's what Clark Howard's saying about Capital One:

How to turn things around on Capital One

You’ve probably heard about the Capital One lawsuits going on. Clark has talked about the system Capital One has to damage your credit. Well, now Capital One has stubbornly refused to modify its position. What happens is Capital One does not report the credit limit on your card. Why? It lowers your credit score and therefore destroys your credit image with other potential credit card companies. So, you’re more likely not to get approved for another card and will continue to use the Capital One card. By not reporting your limit, the credit bureaus guess your limit and that makes you very risky.

Now a new lawsuit has been filed against the credit bureaus for reporting erroneous information on our reports. TransUnion, Equifax and Experian have some responsibility here, for sure. But it would be simple if Capital One just behaved itself. Clark has given Capital One the chance to come on air and talk about this, but they haven’t responded. So, you have to decide if you want to be their customer.

If you’re currently a customer and you want to stay with them, you should charge a bunch of stuff to the card and pay it off. Then, moving forward, the credit bureaus will see and use that credit limit, sending your score back up. Clark will keep trying to come up with ways to manipulate the system, but for now that’s the only way you can turn the situation around.

Chicago526 said:
No telemarketing phone calls and barely a whisper of junk mail (unlike some of my other cards... :mad: ).

I get mail from them DAILY. Unfortunately both my Husband and I are on their list and I get a Capital One credit card offer almost daily. I told my DH I would never use them because they must be milking their clients in order to pay for all these promotions.

Cmbar said:
I get mail from them DAILY. Unfortunately both my Husband and I are on their list and I get a Capital One credit card offer almost daily. I told my DH I would never use them because they must be milking their clients in order to pay for all these promotions.

Opting out will stop this and other solicitations from credit card companies.

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

Capital one was my first credit card when I was in college. I don't really use it much anymore becuase I have the reward cards. I haven't noticed it affecting my credit score I get a report every year and my score is still excellent and well above the average!

DH received the 0% introductory offer and haven't had any problems so far. It's isn't a rewards card though.

I had a very unpleasant experience with a capital one card. One month I accidentally sent a payment that was 50 cents short, and I didn't use the card for about a month after that, so I didn't look too closely at that month's bill. Imagine my surprise when I got the bill for the following month and saw that I was charged a $25 late fee for that .50 balance. I was pretty mad, but since it was technically my fault, I paid it (I sent the payment the same day I got the bill). Then the next bill came, and I got another late fee! I called their customer service line to complain b/c I know I sent the payment in plenty of time (how could I have sent it before I got the bill?) The girl on the phone got all snarky and said she couldn't imagine that it took that long for the payment to reach them. I told them I didn't think it did take that long and it wasn't my fault that they didn't process my payment in a timely fashion. I ended up having to speak with her manager to have the late fee removed. My mom used to have capital one too, and she had something similar happen. She was charged a late fee when she sent the payment three weeks before it was due and they were very reluctant to remove the late fee, claiming they hadn't gotten it in time.

I have both Chase and Capital One. Never had any porblems with them. My credit limit is pretty high with both, I charge everything, including McDonalds, to get rewards, then pay it off each month. I goofed up once, when I had computer problems paying, and they removed the charge, without a question.
Our credit report shows an excellent score..even with 6 open credit cards.

I have Capital One with a 7.9 fixed rate as well and NO annual fee. I've never had any problems with them. Love their website as it's very user friendly.

I have never had a problem with capital one....been with them about 9 years. I like their website as mentioned before, very user friendly.

jekjones1558 said:
I just closed my CapitalOne account after many years. We had a high limit and no problems but I do not like the changes they have made in their Miles One program, so I took the cash I had coming and dropped the card. I choose my credit cards based on the rewards program because I don't carry balances. I now use Chase for 5% on gas, groceries, drug stores ($300 max. rewards per year) and Disney Visa for 1% on everything else.

I agree with you 100%. The Mile One program was great but now it stinks. We are ready to drop them and like you will take the points we have as cash.

T. Lynn said:
I have Capital One with a 7.9 fixed rate as well and NO annual fee. I've never had any problems with them. Love their website as it's very user friendly.

I disagree with you on their website. For some unknown reason it will not let me in. I even called tech support and had them attempt it. After 1 hour on the phone they still could not get it to accept my screenname and password. Access denied! Told me to wait 24 hours and try again. No go. Again I called tech support and got another tech and still no luck. I sure would love to handle my account online but since I can not even enter the website that is a no go for me. It is now 10 months later and I still can not enter the website.

Webbie said:
I disagree with you on their website. For some unknown reason it will not let me in. I even called tech support and had them attempt it. After 1 hour on the phone they still could not get it to accept my screenname and password. Access denied! Told me to wait 24 hours and try again. No go. Again I called tech support and got another tech and still no luck. I sure would love to handle my account online but since I can not even enter the website that is a no go for me. It is now 10 months later and I still can not enter the website.
Check your internet options and make sure the website is in your allowed websites folder. I had to do this for a different company before. After I did that, I had no problems.

T. Lynn said:
Check your internet options and make sure the website is in your allowed websites folder. I had to do this for a different company before. After I did that, I had no problems.

I will recheck that just in case. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter