• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Capacity % increases over time, thoughts?

Orion Nebula

DIS Veteran
My wife and I are trying to decide when to re-book. She wants to look at the week after XMAS (hell week), but I am a bit on the fence due to capacity phases. I know WDW has not given a timeline on anything (and things aren't looking up) but I was curious how everyone else felt. My nightmare scenario is to book for the traditionally worst crowd week of the year based on the assumption that it will be running at 1/2 capacity. Only to have WDW open things up to higher capacity by the holidays.

Thoughts?

Truthfully, this is anybody's guess. Could they increase capacity? Yes. Will they increase capacity? No one knows. Not even them.

Ya I figured it was pointless to even ask, I guess just knowing how horrible the crowds are during that week is making me question the idea.

My nightmare scenario is to book for the traditionally worst crowd week of the year based on the assumption that it will be running at 1/2 capacity. Only to have WDW open things up to higher capacity by the holidays.
It really all depends on how the virus is trending. No one really knows but if your goal is to avoid crowds and to actually be allowed to get into a park then the further out you push your trip the better. They are already allowing booking of park reservations from opening until Sept 2021, so anyone who has booked for your desired time frame has a jump on getting into the parks during "hell" week.

Once they open up reservations again you could book and try to get tickets. If things fail that you can't book any park days cancel and keep those tickets for use at another time. I guess you have to go into it with a plan A and if plan A fails then cancel or have a Plan B.

So much is in question and with FL numbers rising, it is anyone's guess. If you don't mind being flexible and cancelling if conditions aren't to your liking, you can make the reservation whenever you are allowed to and cancel it if needed. I think anyone booking trips in 2020 (and maybe beyond) needs to be prepared for anything and everything. Things will not revert to normal until covid either goes away on its own (highly unlikely) or we have a vaccine. Next spring is about the earliest I would think things may be back to normal.

I would think that the increase in capacity over time is already factored into the park availability calendar. I say that because HS is already at capacity for the first week but not at all after that, and so far it is only confirmed resort guests. But, if you are a resort guest, you are probably like me and planning to spread your time across all the parks, not just HS. Since the resort capacity has not yet increased, the only way HS could reach capacity for the first week only is if the park capacity is increasing over time.

My wife and I are trying to decide when to re-book. She wants to look at the week after XMAS (hell week), but I am a bit on the fence due to capacity phases. I know WDW has not given a timeline on anything (and things aren't looking up) but I was curious how everyone else felt. My nightmare scenario is to book for the traditionally worst crowd week of the year based on the assumption that it will be running at 1/2 capacity. Only to have WDW open things up to higher capacity by the holidays.

Thoughts?

We already have a few nights booked that week and I went ahead and made park reservations yesterday. I'm going in with the expectation that they will increase capacity if they can and that it will be crowded. We've gone that week before so if it's anything less than what we've typically experienced, I'll be thrilled, LOL! I assume they are starting with a low capacity and then will increase if and when they can, but that's all speculation on my part. I have to say, after the initial glitches yesterday, it's been very easy to make park reservations (made some for Nov., Dec. and Feb. with zero issues), so it makes me wonder if capacity is really that low to begin with!

You were able to make reservations for FEB already?

Before they ended the ability to book resorts, you could call and book a room only reservation or a basic package (no tickets) for dates in 2021. I currently have a Jan 2021 reservation I need to add tickets to tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter