Can't we all just get along?

Weedy

DIS Veteran
I have noticed in the last few months people are so much more snarky on these boards. When I first joined people always tried to be helpful. Now more answers are curt and not helpful. A resent example is the person that posted about a picky eater. Here are two post from a while back to show the different tone of the same question.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3068352

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2935259

Let's all try and be postive and as our mother's told us "If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all"

I know those of us who read the boards a lot have hot button issues. So try and not read the ones that bug you and if you do please don't leave curt comment.

Thanks to all the Disboards people who answer the same questions again and again (PrincessShmoo - dresscode) with a positive attitude.

I completely do not see your point in the posts you put there. I found them helpful and had info I did not know in them and they are the same thread, by the way.

By the way, there was a recent long thread about the tone of the DIS recently. I for one feel that it is as it has always been and even better actually given the level of hard work the moderators do.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3133484&highlight=tone+dis

I have noticed in the last few months people are so much more snarky on these boards. When I first joined people always tried to be helpful. Now more answers are curt and not helpful. A resent example is the person that posted about a picky eater. Here are two post from a while back to show the different tone of the same question.

Let's all try and be postive and as our mother's told us "If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all"

I know those of us who read the boards a lot have hot button issues. So try and not read the ones that bug you and if you do please don't leave curt comment.

Thanks to all the Disboards people who answer the same questions again and again (PrincessShmoo - dresscode) with a positive attitude.

Thank you :blush:

Yes, when someone asks a question, just answer it. After all, that's what we're here for. To spread some pixie dust and be helpful to everyone.

Although, once answered, sometimes posters will turn the whole thread into a discussion of "why" (not just the responders, sometimes the original questioner also starts arguing back).

The links you posted are for the same thread but I get what you are saying. I did not comment on either of these threads because I have no first hand knowledge of what DCL will/will not do for picky eaters/allergies/sensory issues. I did however, read some of the recent picky eater thread and thought some of the answers where more rude/snarky than helpful.

Everyone has their own opinion and everyone has a right to post it on these boards without getting their heads bitten off. You will never know the answer if you don't ask the question. :goodvibes

I completely do not see your point in the posts you put there. I found them helpful and had info I did not know in them and they are the same thread, by the way.

By the way, there was a recent long thread about the tone of the DIS recently. I for one feel that it is as it has always been and even better actually given the level of hard work the moderators do.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3133484&highlight=tone+dis

I think the OP meant to post a different link.

I think the OP meant to post a different link.

Maybe that's a good thing. I don't see how making a thread and "calling out" the "snarky" poster will help. I agree with the premise of the thread, just not the attempt at showcasing a particular poster. Seems counter productive.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Maybe that's a good thing. I don't see how making a thread and "calling out" the "snarky" poster will help. I agree with the premise of the thread, just not the attempt at showcasing a particular poster. Seems counter productive.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I was showing the threads were people were helpful.

Just blue-skying here...

Since the same questions keep getting asked over and over (e.g. formal night, shorts in the dining room, tipping), perhaps the mods may want to consider consolidating certain threads into a Cruising Disney 101 sticky. Given how passionate (obsessive?) many of the posters on the forum are, I would guess that this wouldn't be an overly onorous task.

In a perfect world, people new to the board would take 30 seconds to run a search before asking their question, but given how often certain questions are asked, it seems safe to say that a certain percentage of new members don't bother to do that.

Weedy, board rules require you to report violations of board rules to the administator where they will take appropriate action.

Mike

I agree it's a good idea to report any posts that are rude. I've done so in the past and they get deleted very quickly.

Just blue-skying here...

Since the same questions keep getting asked over and over (e.g. formal night, shorts in the dining room, tipping), perhaps the mods may want to consider consolidating certain threads into a Cruising Disney 101 sticky. Given how passionate (obsessive?) many of the posters on the forum are, I would guess that this wouldn't be an overly onorous task.

In a perfect world, people new to the board would take 30 seconds to run a search before asking their question, but given how often certain questions are asked, it seems safe to say that a certain percentage of new members don't bother to do that.

There is a great FAQ sticky here, with lots of pics but if someone suggests to a newbie that the answers may be found there, then the veteran gets their hands slapped for using a link instead of re-answering the question.

From a newbie perspective...I do search through the threads before asking a question and find them extremely helpful. However just reading threads of information takes away something from feeling a part of the dis community. Being an excited first time cruiser...it a joy to know people have taken time to answer my question and spread a bit of pixie dust. I am amazed by the helpfulness of people on here. I am conscious of asking a question which has been asked before (and be frowned upon) despite my searches...and minimal search skills. If I ever do ask a 'same old' question..I'd be grateful for someone to point to where the answer is in the usual polite and friendly dis way ;-)

From a newbie perspective...I do search through the threads before asking a question and find them extremely helpful. However just reading threads of information takes away something from feeling a part of the dis community. Being an excited first time cruiser...it a joy to know people have taken time to answer my question and spread a bit of pixie dust. I am amazed by the helpfulness of people on here. I am conscious of asking a question which has been asked before (and be frowned upon) despite my searches...and minimal search skills. If I ever do ask a 'same old' question..I'd be grateful for someone to point to where the answer is in the usual polite and friendly dis way ;-)

Ask away. That's the point of discussion board. The search function can be helpful, but can also be very frustrating.

Mike

and don't forget that there is a difference between snarky/rude and snarky/funny....not everyone can discern the difference. Of course, many don't have the command of the language to be able to properly convey satire/dry wit/comedic overtones....

that is why I try for irreverent. It confuses the heck out of most people.

as my Mom used to tell me: it takes a lot of bananas to make a bunch.

to which I might add: and some of them are just plain rotten....

also, if you ask for opinions, you cannot expect all sugary-sweet replies, either!

Just sayin'..

but thanks, OP, for serving as the posting police......see? snarky, and yet, funny while conveying a not so subtle message....

and don't forget that there is a difference between snarky/rude and snarky/funny....not everyone can discern the difference. Of course, many don't have the command of the language to be able to properly convey satire/dry wit/comedic overtones....

that is why I try for irreverent. It confuses the heck out of most people.

as my Mom used to tell me: it takes a lot of bananas to make a bunch.

to which I might add: and some of them are just plain rotten....

also, if you ask for opinions, you cannot expect all sugary-sweet replies, either!

Just sayin'..

but thanks, OP, for serving as the posting police......see? snarky, and yet, funny while conveying a not so subtle message....

I think that's why Disboards doesn't allow sarcasm at all.. More often than not it is interpreted in the wrong way.

I agree with the OP, I've almost been put off going on our 1st cruise by the 'arguements' and bad feeling there's been on the thread for the cruise. the mods did deal with it though - so Thank You to them for all their work - it must drive you mad:hug:

MND said:
Ask away. That's the point of discussion board. The search function can be helpful, but can also be very frustrating.

Mike

Couldn't agree more!! I say, if someone see's a post they do not like or they think the question is stupid, just don't respond.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

It's been going on for a few years now. It's the primary reason I hardly visit anymore. :( It's sad. I could just avoid the topics, buts somewhere they come out of nowhere. In thread that seem benign in subject matter. :( I can't let things roll off my back as easily as others, so my best course is to avoid all-together.

My first post on the Dis was a very innocent question asking for advice from people who had experienced my situation in the past. Oh dear Lord. It turned into a 10+ page debate over whether my choice was right or wrong. Anyway, I think people have been pretty nice since then.

You'll always have snarky or rude people when you have a large gathering of people. But for the most part, I think the majority of the crowd is nice and willing to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter