• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can't ride ____ with a cast

dr&momto2boys

DIS Veteran
My six year old just broke her arm. As long as the ortho doc says it's fine to go on rides, which rides may not let her on due to restraints etc.?
The cast starts above her elbow and goes over her wrist. So I'm guessing if there is an overhead restraint, she may not be able to go on...even though she's little and it may not actually prevent closing it properly.
Anyone have experience with this?

People have already suggested we try to get the waterproof cast material/liner for sweating and swimming purposes. We'll see tomorrow if that's an option when she gets her real cast on. Otherwise we'll try to find a good waterproof cover so she can go in the pool and on water rides.

Thanks!

My six year old just broke her arm. As long as the ortho doc says it's fine to go on rides, which rides may not let her on due to restraints etc.?
The cast starts above her elbow and goes over her wrist. So I'm guessing if there is an overhead restraint, she may not be able to go on...even though she's little and it may not actually prevent closing it properly.
Anyone have experience with this?

People have already suggested we try to get the waterproof cast material/liner for sweating and swimming purposes. We'll see tomorrow if that's an option when she gets her real cast on. Otherwise we'll try to find a good waterproof cover so she can go in the pool and on water rides.

Thanks!

I haven't had any experience with this personally but have seen it. She herself does not have to put the restraint down - you can do it for her.

Disney World will not stop any child (or adult) from boarding a ride because of a cast. They will check to make sure everyone - not just the child or adult with a cast - is safely bucked in - and then you are fine.

Having traveled with my father in a wheelchair with limited mobility, my stepmother would help him into a ride vehicle (anyone else was forbidden - my dad was such a cuss!) and then strap him down and things would be checked like normal and he'd be happy. I think an arm cast would be easy.

My son had a castfrom wrist to above his elbow with pins and was allowed on everything. The characters gave him extra attention and even signed his cast!

We just returned in August and I had my arm in a cast. I just got it taken off Monday. I rode everything except Splash just because of the water.

Oh, that's great to hear! She's s excited to ride the things she's just now tall enough for... RnR, Everest. It gives her some hope!

Great! We were hoping characters would sign her cast!

Before you leave, ask the doctor how the cast will be cut off. Have him/her mark on the cast where the cut marks will be. Then, have the characters sign in between the marks so a signature won't be cut in two.

I went with a fractured humerus in just a sling. The break was too high for a cast. None of the rides were a problem.

Man, what a cool idea to have the cast signed!! I'm sure that'll definitely make that broken arm feel better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter