Can't remember Is the pool water cleaned/changed during the week?

Disneycrazymom

DIS Veteran
I know it is fresh water (a nice bonus) but do they clean the pool or drain it and put in fresh water during the week? I sort of remember the water being a little cloudy at the end of the week. Anyone know? I have a friend going and I just can't remember! Thanks

I think it depends which pool. The Mickey is emptied drained daily, and often more than that (with accidents). The others are definitely emptied at the end of each cruise, as the attendants are there cleaning, painting, and there is rope around the pool as used in caution.

One day it was emptied and cleaned twice due to some kid pooping in the pool..what a pain for all the rest of the kids!!! But as far as being a little cloudy by the end of the week...I would say by the end of each DAY it was cloudy and brownies gray and then clean the next morning so either they empty it or have good filters that work all night long.

I have seen it drained as kids did too much in the ool ( notice no P in mine), but they filled it up with very hot water and no one could get in again for a while.

Hi there :wave2:
It was my understanding from other cruises, they re fill the pools up every morning, the colour variation has to do with where you are in the ocean, somtimes it's dark, sometimes light.
Cheers :joker:

Yes, by the end of the day the Mickey pool gets murkey, if you are lucky enough to not have it closed down for some accident. Which is not always bad. At least it gets cleaned and refilled all nice and shiny new!

Not only is it lil peepee :rolleyes1 but also remember there is tons of sunscreen mixed in too! If you can't make out Mickey's face on the bottom clearly FROM DECK TEN, I would suggest wait until the morning ;) :grouphug: :grouphug:

T&E said:
It was my understanding from other cruises, they re fill the pools up every morning, the colour variation has to do with where you are in the ocean, somtimes it's dark, sometimes light.

That is when the ships fill theirs with straight sea water which Disney does not do.

In that case ... where does the water come from that Disney does use??????

T&E said:

DCL are the only ones I know of that use fresh water in their pools. They carry it with them on each ship. Every other cruise line pumps and filters water from the ocean.

DCL puts the sea water thru a filtration system onboard that takes out the salt. It is just more advanced than the other cruise line's systems since it does this step too.

It was "changed/cleaned" a few times one day on our cruise. :teeth: :confused3 hehehe

Yes - it is sea water, but filtered.

Princess also uses fresh water in their pools.

T&E said:
I was told the ship makes it's own water, I forget the process (either reverse osmosis or desalination). The cheif engineer also said that they also treat most of the (grey?) waste water onboard so that they can legally discharge it after processing.
(I forget the exact details as I really came to the meeting to find out about approaching hurricane Frances and our turnaround to return to castaway cay in order to evacuate the castmembers.
By the way the Captain said the ship can easily steer clear of storms and that the one of the worst places a ship can be during a big storm is at dock due to all the pounding)

DfromCA said:
By the way the Captain said the ship can easily steer clear of storms and that the one of the worst places a ship can be during a big storm is at dock due to all the pounding)

Off topic, but our waiter told us that the reason the port was so damaged in Cozumel was because a Carnival ship decided to stay docked there when Hurricane Wilma hit there last year.

Both the dock, and the ship sustained major damage.

Does DCL add any chlorine or other anti-bacterial chemical to the fresh pool water? It would be nice to know there is at least something extra in the water to take care of micro-organisms.... :stir:

cyberfilly said:
Does DCL add any chlorine or other anti-bacterial chemical to the fresh pool water? It would be nice to know there is at least something extra in the water to take care of micro-organisms.... :stir:
The U.S Center For Disease Control suggests public pools maintain chlorine levels between 1-3 parts per million, so I am sure Disney does do something (chlorine, bromine or light salination).
I don't think Disney has ever had the bacterial outbreaks you here about on other cruise line.
(Note when you go through the buffet lines they will hand you your plates and utensils.)
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/pdf/pool_operation.pdf

I have always wondered about the salt water in pools on other lines. Are there any chemical added (like to fresh water ) to kill the germs?????

Deb in IA said:
Off topic, but our waiter told us that the reason the port was so damaged in Cozumel was because a Carnival ship decided to stay docked there when Hurricane Wilma hit there last year.

Both the dock, and the ship sustained major damage.

Only the dock sustained damage - there were no cruise ships in Cozumel at the time of the hurricane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter