Can't guarantee a pet site even with a reservation?

Perhaps the people who've been adversely impacted simply don't post here.

It amazes me that you are willing to ruin a long awaited vacation of some sweet little camping family in a Non-pet Loop whose child may need to go to the hospital because your dog or cat is with you on a Non-pet Loop.

You honestly believe that something to complain about has happened at Fort Wilderness and its not on this board ? ANYWHERE ?

YEARS AGO, when the non-pet loops were actually kept non-pet friendly, I did complain, called the Outpost, when a camper showed up next to me and out popped a dog. While they were in the process of setting up, security showed up and they were moved to a pet loop. Years ago when dogs were not permitted outside of the pet loops I came across a person walking 2 large dogs. Again I called the Outpost and security showed up and they were spoken to.

Currently, my experiences have been that there are virtually no non-pet loops and very lenient rules regarding pets.

FW campers since 1980.

YEARS AGO, when the non-pet loops were actually kept non-pet friendly, I did complain, called the Outpost, when a camper showed up next to me and out popped a dog. While they were in the process of setting up, security showed up and they were moved to a pet loop. Years ago when dogs were not permitted outside of the pet loops I came across a person walking 2 large dogs. Again I called the Outpost and security showed up and they were spoken to.

Currently, my experiences have been that there are virtually no non-pet loops and very lenient rules regarding pets.

FW campers since 1980.

You called security because a dog popped out of a camper? Was it vicious? Was it barking? Was it dangerous? Did the owner not clean up after it? That dog may have been a very well trained and friendly dog that wouldn't have bothered anybody. I guess you aren't a dog person. I hope you like kids. I'd hate to see you call security and have some family kicked out of your loop because the kids were talking a little too loud when they passed your site! I hope I never end up in your loop!
LIGHTEN UP! IT'S DISNEY!

Don't worry about it. In all the years I have been going I have never heard a story of someone turned away or made to kennel pets. They always reserve the right to change a non pet loop into a pet loop, so that is what they do. If there are none when you check in, a non pet loop will get your pets :)

I would not avoid a trip to FW because of this.

We were in the 100 loop when two people came in with pets and security went to them and they had to make other arrangements for their dogs. The non-pet loops are for people that have some type of allergies or just prefer to not be around dogs for whatever reason and at least in the 100-200 loops they haven't been able to stay from what I saw and heard. Not sure about any of the other loops as we haven't camped there.

You don't say what year this happened in. Several years ago I saw Security approach a neighbor who had a dog in a non-pet loop..Turned out it was a service dog, so it stayed. We have also seen security in 100 and 200 loops when complaints were received about pets being walked through those loops. Nothing like this has been seen in recent years, and dogs are permitted in most areas of the Fort, except trading posts, marina, etc. They can travel in golf carts, but are not permitted to drive. Pets have pretty much taken over free reign at the Fort, but I have not heard many complaints about that. Live with it.

They can travel in golf carts, but are not permitted to drive.

WHAT?!? Oh man, now OUR vacation is ruined...he'll be so disappointed.

Actually, we don't use a cart, but we do use our bikes...our pup WILL be able to ride his bike by himself, won't he? With his helmet of course...

Sorry, couldn't resist adding a little levity to this thread! :rotfl:

Sorry, couldn't resist adding a little levity to this thread! :rotfl:
Thanks, it was starting to need it!:thumbsup2

There are a few issues on message boards that seem to cause emotions to rise, and it seems pets is one of those on this board. You have folks like me who would not leave home without a pet (OK, I'm leaving myself open for folks to say don't leave home) to others (through a reading of their past postings) would be happy if no pets were allowed.

There are a couple of problems I see which add fuel to the fire:

• Probably because FW is the only place that allows pets, the reservation system is not robust enough to regulate the stock of pet loop sites.
  • Disney cast-members are and have always been a little lax in the enforcement of rules

So what ends up happening is that at times pets are overbooked. Disney not wanting to disappoint "overflows" pets into lops that are normally not pet loops.

I was probably not clear enough in an earlier posting when I said I have never heard of Disney making folks move or kennel their pets. What I should have said is I have never heard of them making folks move or kennel their pets who had checked in with a pet. Yes, for those who sneak in a pet and don't let FW know, they do have action taken against them on a fairly regular basis.

We were in the 800 loop a few years ago which I don't believe is a pet loop. The folks across from us in a pop up had a dog. I didn't have a problem that they had a dog except for the fact that the dog barked constantly. I believe that someone complained (not us) because the day after we got there and had to listen to this dog and the owner yelling at it constantly we saw security show up and shortly thereafter the dog was gone.

We tried once to take our German Shepherd rescue dog camping. She was not a good camper. Since WE try to be good campers, we always made arrangements to board her at our vet. They loved her there and she loved them so everyone was happy and we knew she was well cared for.

I have no problem with pets on non-pet loops as long as they are not disruptive and the owners are responsible.

Yes we have a dog and yes Disney has placed us in a non-pet loop before. No problems at all. I think a lot of the reservations people do not work at Fort Wilderness, so they do not really know the Fort Wilderness rules. You will always be guaranteed a site for you and your pets if you have a reservation, even if the pet loop request is worded as a request only. There are tons of dog owners, the dog park is huge, and I see dogs being walked all over the place, even on the beach and around the boat dock. I think as long as your dogs are well behaved, Disney welcomes you.

You don't say what year this happened in. Several years ago I saw Security approach a neighbor who had a dog in a non-pet loop..Turned out it was a service dog, so it stayed. We have also seen security in 100 and 200 loops when complaints were received about pets being walked through those loops. Nothing like this has been seen in recent years, and dogs are permitted in most areas of the Fort, except trading posts, marina, etc. They can travel in golf carts, but are not permitted to drive. Pets have pretty much taken over free reign at the Fort, but I have not heard many complaints about that. Live with it.

These two were not service dogs (that I'll happily understand), but just as I accept the fact you have every right to your dog in a pet-loop, I also have every right without dogs in a non-pet loop. You are the ones that give a bad name to pet owners . They have pretty much taken over the Fort, but when I've been told I have a reservation in a non-pet loop that's what I'll get and no, I don't have to live with it :confused3 Where is your right greater than my right? I have no problem with you in the pet-loops, but you seem to have a problem with people that desire a non-pet loop. You seem to think you have the greater right, is that your issue?

These two were not service dogs (that I'll happily understand), but just as I accept the fact you have every right to your dog in a pet-loop, I also have every right without dogs in a non-pet loop. You are the ones that give a bad name to pet owners . They have pretty much taken over the Fort, but when I've been told I have a reservation in a non-pet loop that's what I'll get and no, I don't have to live with it :confused3 Where is your right greater than my right? I have no problem with you in the pet-loops, but you seem to have a problem with people that desire a non-pet loop. You seem to think you have the greater right, is that your issue?

Well said.

We were in the 200 loop this Thanksgiving 2011 and there were several dogs. We are always asked do we have any pets. Our reply is no and twice we were put in the 1600 loop. Both times there were large dogs running loose with very young children running behind the dog no adult in sight. We don't have any young children but this could be an accident waiting to happen.

If there is such a shortage of pet sites why give us one when we have no animals????

Just wondering.

If there is such a shortage of pet sites why give us one when we have no animals????

Just wondering.
Well for the 1600 loop all I can say is that you reserved a full hook up site. The only full hook up sites are the 1600 - 1900 loops, all of which are pet loops.

Now, for those folks who don;t have pets and end up in pet loops... all I can say is I think Disney's site reservation and site assignment systems suck. As you can see from this thread, some folks like pets and some don't. But, Disney can't seem to keep them apart.

Well for the 1600 loop all I can say is that you reserved a full hook up site. The only full hook up sites are the 1600 - 1900 loops, all of which are pet loops.

some folks "like" pets and some don't. But, Disney can't seem to keep them apart.

That is an oversimplified conclusion...Some people have good reasons for not wanting to vacation at Ft Wilderness in the middle of other people's dogs (or other pets). Many people have health issues brought on by pets, or they may have someone in their party who is afraid of dogs, or they might just think it's unsanitary to pitch a tent where someone else has let their dog relieve themselves, etc. The point is that the right to be in a Non-pet Loop needs to be guaranteed as well as the right to be in a pet loop if that's what you request.

I agree if you want a non pet loop you should get a non pet loop. But please remember, if they assign a pet to your loop, your problem is with WDW not the pet owner.

I agree if you want a non pet loop you should get a non pet loop. But please remember, if they assign a pet to your loop, your problem is with WDW not the pet owner.

Now, that is something we can agree on. I do not dislike dogs, but from a small child my mom said I never wanted them near me. I think everyone that wants one with them should have that right and when Disney gives me reservations in a non-pet loop, I should have the same right - and you're so very right, my complaint is with Disney, and not the dog owner. I have never, and never do intend to confront, or blame the dog owner in any way. What's funny is, dogs always "like" me - my sister thinks this is hilarious that her dog always comes first to me and leans on my leg to pet her. So, I'm definitely not sending out "vibes of hate":lmao: I just prefer not to be around dogs - no hard feelings intended :goodvibes As an after thought, what skyp4WDW said about dogs relieving themselves on the site. We were there one year on Loop 200, but could see 300, and these people had two dogs and were leaving, let their dogs poop on the pad behind trailer, then washed it off with the hose - gross me out. If all pet owners would be more responsible would make everyone more happy. If they had not been leaving I was definitely going to call and report it while it was still obvious - just sad!

:lovestruc
I've spent a bunch of nights at The Fort and have talked to a bunch of people while there. I've been reading these boards for 4 years. Not once can I recall someone saying anything about anyone being asked to move, leave or board a pet.

Welll... actually I hate to add fuel, BUT I have witnessed one person being asked to leave FW ... and one asked to board the pets. The one asked to leave continually had their large dog off the leash even after being told by FW staff having had complaints. The dog ended up knocking down a toddler and they packed up and left after a heated "discussion" with FW staff. The other... I actually mentioned in this post already that some careless owners left their dogs in an RV all day where they barked constantly. After complaints... they were asked to board the dogs. Either of these situations would have resulted in issues regardless of in a pet loop or non-pet loop.

There ARE rude pet owners out there who assume everyone loves their pet as much as they do.... we don't(although I love my own).... and they think their "misbehaving" pet is cute.. .it's not.. HOWEVER... there are pet owners who are very courteous and cause no issues and honestly... I've never known they were there (even in the nonpet loop)... (except for the one lady who let her poodle crap on our paved area in front of our parked bikes... :confused3... but I let her know she needed to get it up... she grumbled a bit, but did it (she was one of those rude pet owners)... Anyway... there are rude people everywhere... but mostly I have found at the FW... everyone is just having fun and not trying to ruin anyone elses fun. I think most pet owners are very courteous and keep there pets where they should be and on a leash. I also remind myself that while we love our pets... not everyone else does!

ITA! We shouldn't be chipping at each other when it is WDW's policies and procedures that are the big issue.

:lovestruc

Welll... actually I hate to add fuel, BUT I have witnessed one person being asked to leave FW ... and one asked to board the pets. The one asked to leave continually had their large dog off the leash even after being told by FW staff having had complaints. The dog ended up knocking down a toddler and they packed up and left after a heated "discussion" with FW staff. The other... I actually mentioned in this post already that some careless owners left their dogs in an RV all day where they barked constantly. After complaints... they were asked to board the dogs. Either of these situations would have resulted in issues regardless of in a pet loop or non-pet loop.

There ARE rude pet owners out there who assume everyone loves their pet as much as they do.... we don't(although I love my own).... and they think their "misbehaving" pet is cute.. .it's not.. HOWEVER... there are pet owners who are very courteous and cause no issues and honestly... I've never known they were there (even in the nonpet loop)... (except for the one lady who let her poodle crap on our paved area in front of our parked bikes... :confused3... but I let her know she needed to get it up... she grumbled a bit, but did it (she was one of those rude pet owners)... Anyway... there are rude people everywhere... but mostly I have found at the FW... everyone is just having fun and not trying to ruin anyone elses fun. I think most pet owners are very courteous and keep there pets where they should be and on a leash. I also remind myself that while we love our pets... not everyone else does!

Yep, both scenarios you mentioned would make me want the people to be asked to leave or board their dogs too. Both are examples of rules/guidelines not being adhered to. The off-leash thing drives me crazy to no end from so many angles - safety of the dog, safety of others around, general regard for others that may not think you and your dog are all that and a bag of chips, the ability to know exactly where they pooped so you can clean up after them, etc. etc. etc.

And the way I handle folks who don't pick up after their dogs (and give dog owners a bad name) is say "Oh, I hate when I get caught without a pick-up bag! Here, have one of ours to use" as I hand them a bag from our little caddy or my pocket...works every time, no matter where I'm at. Kind of gives them an out and embarrasses them into picking up without feeling preached at.

We have been to the Fort many times and had our 2 Newfies with us in our PUP, usually we were able to get pet loops. As far as the picking up after your pets... now with 2 extremely large dogs... I always try never to be without a baggie... but sometimes they surprise you. Now being so pet friendly, the Fort makes this very easy on doggie owners to be responsible as well. They do (or at least did on our last trip in '10) have scoop bag posts along the dog walk and along the pet loops as well so there was never really an excuse to be without a baggie! :confused3

I always tried to be extra cautious of my girls cause even though they wouldnt hurt a fly they were as big as a Shetland Pony and at night (they were black) easily scared people... but not everyone cared, they would see a big black dog and not want to know if she was nice or not, I would just get nasty looks for having a dog (let alone 2) that size and they would walk as far away from me as possible or literally pick up their dogs and walk away!:lmao: To each his own I guess...

We are finally getting back to the Fort next month for spring break and though sadly we dont have our newfies anymore:sad2: we do have a Border collie mix that will be coming with us:sad2: :cool1:

Well, as a pet owner I'll say that you can do all the right things and still get the stink eye. Twice we've been assigned to a no-pet loop when we made it clear that we had pets. That's Disney's choice, not ours.

But when we went into the adjacent pet loop to get some baggies, the campers there stared and made some ride comments about us "stealing" their bags. This happened both times and there is no way it was the same campers, so some people feel like they own the poop bags in the pet loops.

My opinion is that if I'm paying $5/night, I'm using Disney's poop bags. I'm paying for them, so I'm using them instead of using mine. So when I go into a pet loop to grab a few baggies for the next couple of days' use, don't talk to me about stealing baggies.

That's just my vent about why I dislike being in a non-pet loop with pets. I understand why people get upset about having pets in non-pet loops when they aren't pet owners, but I'm a pet owner and let me tell you I'm not so thrilled when I get put in a non-pet loop, either. I hate to listen to rude campers gripe about me stealing "their" poop baggies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter