Can't Find Downtown Disney Any Longer . . .

I am late to this show, I really haven't paid much attention to the area since 2008. Is Disney Springs Just the renamed and built up marketplace or is the whole of Westside, old PI and Marketplace now considered Disneysprings?

I am late to this show, I really haven't paid much attention to the area since 2008. Is Disney Springs Just the renamed and built up marketplace or is the whole of Westside, old PI and Marketplace now considered Disneysprings?
The entire area is now Disney springs. Pleasure island is now The landing, west side and marketplace still keep same name. A whole new area called town center is under construction.

Just came back yesterday. Saw that not ALL the signs on property have been changed, including some of the road signs. The bus stops all still say DTD. It'll be confusing for a while to say the least.

Why do people get upset at name changes. Who cares what they call it? Either you like a shopping/dining area - or you don't!

You guys complain about it, but I'm willing to bet that in the end, you're still gong to go and have a great time.

I don't know about that. Along with the rebranding has come a lot of expensive, highly specialized boutique stores. It was fun to browse through them once, but the truth is I would never buy a $300 steampunk top hat nor a $50 pair of flipflops. We'll continue to go until my niece outgrows Little Mismatch, but after that I don't know if we'll waste time at a place that is essentially becoming, for my family, window shopping. Simply put, it's becoming too pretentious for our tastes.

Why do people get upset at name changes. Who cares what they call it? Either you like a shopping/dining area - or you don't!
I personally don't have anything against the name change, but I do have issues with the content. With this change, Disney is asking to elevate Disney Springs up to the same level as one of their theme park lands. That requires story and place. If the story told is conflicting with one of their other stories, I do take issue with that.

I'm still excited for the awesome results though!

I'm not upset at all. I'll still call it Downtown Disney though but just out of habit.

There are things in the new Disney Springs that I will do and things that I will not do. I definitely will go to the gelato place and the cupcake bakery. I will call it Downtown Disney just out of habit. Hey I still call Disney Studios MGM

Is the signage better? It's the one thing in the "World" I hate. The signage is terrible.

Funny, just got back. All the signs at our resort (Pop) and on the buses still say Downtown Disney. But did notice the road signs were different.

You guys complain about it, but I'm willing to bet that in the end, you're still gong to go and have a great time.

I will still go to the area...but the "concept"...if you can call it that...is already ineffective.

As others have stated - it's just ultra retail...high end and not incredibly appealing. Window shopping...fits.

I'm actually a pretty easy sell too...I don't mind paying for things. But the most they're going to get - realistically - if for me to buy a shirt or a dress every 2-4 years.

Is that a win? Or is there this high wage army of people dying to descend on wdw and spend $5000 on stuff and then fedex home on a random Saturday in March?

Maybe they're right...I'm wrong.

But it used to be possible to have fun without shopping exclusively...and not just bars and the restaurants...now that can be done only sitting at a bar/restaurant.

It will be fascinating to see how it plays out for the next 5 years...I'm guessing some incredible highs and some unbelievable lows.

Gee how strange. A shopping and entertainment district is going to have lots of upscale shopping for tourists!? How strange. Is there any doubt people are going to line up to spend money after they get out of the special dessert parties in the parks?

Disney is all about theming. The idea of an overall theme is great and much better than Downtown Disney which really was just a shopping and entertainment area with zero theme. The name is perfect as several towns across Florida are named this way. Have you seen the pictures of the springs they are building? They look very intriguing and beautifully detailed. It will look like an actual Florida town with a spring which will be detailed and real looking with streams of water running from the springs through the town. (I use to live in Florida and swim and snorkel the springs. They are wonderful and worth a visit.)

I am excited by a number of the specialty shops, especially the hat shop. I will be making a purchase of a good hat. There will still be entertainment and fun. And I want to eat in the bathysphere at Jock Lindsey's!! Why not wait and see how it all comes together? I think it all looks and sounds very promising. It is already better than Downtown Disney! Can't wait to visit in a week!

I have read in numerous places that the name change is not yet official. Yes, its going to change, that is official, but the final change on everything won't be until October 1st.

They are of course phasing in the retagging of the signs, etc, but its still DTD for another few days.

On a side note... I never realized how many people in this world refuse to accept change. It is, what it is. DTD/DS has always been about add on sales. It is not a destination in its self. You don't make travel plans to come to WDW because of DTD. You have an off day, so they managed to get you into a gift shop, even if you refuse to go into a park.

I have read in numerous places that the name change is not yet official. Yes, its going to change, that is official, but the final change on everything won't be until October 1st.

They are of course phasing in the retagging of the signs, etc, but its still DTD for another few days.

On a side note... I never realized how many people in this world refuse to accept change. It is, what it is. DTD/DS has always been about add on sales. It is not a destination in its self. You don't make travel plans to come to WDW because of DTD. You have an off day, so they managed to get you into a gift shop, even if you refuse to go into a park.
Yes that is correct. Official name change takes place October 1st and everything is getting changed over before that.

I was there last week and it is an absolute nightmare to park and get around. Even during this slow time of the year it was a hot mess. We won't be back until all of the construction is done - don't care if that means missing it for the next few years.

I was there last week and it is an absolute nightmare to park and get around. Even during this slow time of the year it was a hot mess. We won't be back until all of the construction is done - don't care if that means missing it for the next few years.

I was referring to when everything was complete and the construction was finally done. Hence the term, "in the end"

I was referring to when everything was complete and the construction was finally done. Hence the term, "in the end"
Thanks for the clarification. I agree and look forward to seeing it when it is done, but I will wait. I have trips booked for January and April and we have already decided to give it a miss on both trips after the disaster that we had to deal with 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree and look forward to seeing it when it is done, but I will wait. I have trips booked for January and April and we have already decided to give it a miss on both trips after the disaster that we had to deal with 2 weeks ago.

I can certainly see where the frustration is with a lot of people. Sounds like things are a mess right now. Hopefully when it is all complete, it the traffic of people won't be such a mess anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter