Can't figure out why schools do this

I was just with a group of parents this morning complaining about how our school does the same thing. I would really like to be able to go to both of my children's classes. With 2 kids, DH and I divide and conquer. DH is always frustrated when I ask him questions about the session he attended, and he doesn't remember every detail as I do.;)

Our school had theirs tonight...they do the K & 1st kids at 6:00, 2nd and 3rd kids at 7:00 and 4th and 5th kids at 8:00. Their reasoning is that the majority of the people do not have children that are jsut one grade apart to it benefits more people than not.

It's sure a pain, but I've also seen that the teachers aren't that thrilled.

Especially the ones that have kids in the same school and can't go at all. I know quite a few where this happens.

On the other hand, there was an upside. I could just send ex-husband to one and I would go to the other and I didn't have to look at him. :rolleyes: I would always go to the older one's when they were in the same school because my kids always had the same teachers. I needed to know what was going on because I have primary custody.

Originally posted by MUFFYCAT
I don't mean to sound harsh, but working 3 nights once a year is manageble. Alot of us do it in our jobs. Isn't working 3 nights a year little to give up in return for the parents and their kids to get to know the classes? I have deep respect for teachers, working with the parents is way we can all have a good school year.
I don't get paid either when I work nights.

I totally understand the thinking that it really is not that much extra time. However, the first weeks of school most teachers are there an extra 2 to 3 hours a day just getting ready for school to start...

the truth is there is no simple answer to this problem there will always be someone unhappy with how we do it. One suggestion is for parents who were unable to visit their children's teachers on the parents night, is to schedule a conference with the teacher(s). Many (or most) teachers are willing to come in a few minutes early or stay a few minutes later (since we are there any way) to meet with a parent.

Good luck to all of you who cannot attend your student's open house nights, I hope you get to meet the teachers at some point.
tara

Also from a middle school teacher perspective. I know it doesn't sound like much to most people but we also have families and other commitments that we are resonsible for as well. If our children are in different school guess who doesn't get to go and meet their child's teacher or attend class functions. So it would be hard to please everyone and as experience has taught me over the years the parents that come to the open house/orientation are the parents I could pick up the phone and call at any time if there was a problem or question about that student. It's the parents that don't come that we most need to see.

Trust me, it's not "just" 3 nights per year. Many teachers
take on responsibilities that draw their time to school related
activities throughout the year.

It would be nice if there could always be some coordination,
but you can never make everyone happy or make activities
fit every family's schedule.

I don't have a child in middle school yet, but I remember my mom going with a group of friends and they would see who children had the same teachers and they would split up, so Jane would sit through Mrs. Doe's class and pick up three of everything, and my mom would sit through Mrs. Smith's class and pick up three of everything. Maybe that would work for you?

I've got 3 kids, in 2 different schools. Both schools have Open House tomorrow night. Now THAT pisses me off. There are two of us. At the high school, we're supposed to follow our children's schedule, which would mean we'd both have to be there...one DD in 11th grade, one in 9th. But my other child...my son who just started middle school...well, I'd really like to go meet his teachers too. You'd think they wouldn't do 2 different schools on the same night. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter