• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can't decide which hotel -- GF or CR?

mom of 3G's

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW in Dec. 2012. We were there Dec. 2010, stayed at GF and fell in love with it. I am wanting a MK view for our upcoming trip. I have listed pros and cons of each hotel to try and narrow it down. Can you chime in with your choice? Thanks!

Grand Floridian
Pros: MK is next stop on monorail
Beautiful landscaping makes for an enjoyabe walk to to outer bldgs
Wonderful smells in the buildings
Bathroom layout (sinks outside)
Bigger towels
Better toiletry products

Cons: Walk to outer buildings
Construction
Beach is getting smaller (the kids loved this for quiet time)
MK view is further away

Contemporary
Pros: Walkway to MK
MK view is closer
In the main building
$650 cheaper

Cons: Bathroom layout
Theme

GF is an amazing relaxing resort. It is the flagship resort for WDW so I say go for it. I have had 2 amazing stays there and loved every second of it.

Normally I would pick GF over the CR without looking back, especially in December when the gingerbread house and all the xmas decorations are up. It's such a lovely resort and the modernness of CR doesn't appeal to me (but that of course is a personal decision).

But there is construction going on over there so if you use the pools a lot or don't like the thought of this I'd recommend you go over the GF FAQ and look at the photos. Hopefully things will be better by December, but I would at least want to know about what was going on before I booked. Hope this helps! :goodvibes

My choice would be the GF. We haven't stayed at the CR, but we've had 3 great stays at the GF and the resort is so beautiful during the holidays :goodvibes.

I am not a fan of the rooms at GF (i'm not into the victorian look) which is just a personal thing but the grounds are beautiful. I like CR because of the contemporary look BUT if I was going during the holidays, I would probably pick GF just because it is gorgeous during the holidays. CR really doesn't have that warm holiday feeling. LOL

Hard to say. My sister and I are having the same dilemma.

We stayed at the Contemporary for the first time last year, and surprisingly, we enjoyed it. I'm not into the modern look either, but we stayed in the garden wing away from all the chaos, and we really loved it...a lot. And I'm sure that it will be beautiful at Christmas time, in its own way, you know?

The construction wouldn't be an issue for us at the Grand Floridian, as it seems to be for so many here on the boards. I'm not a fan of prissy Victorian, but there is something so elegant about the resort. It's our favorite resort. Will be gorgeous at Christmas.

I say go with your gut.

You already know you love the GF so I'd go with that one.

I personally find it too "grandma" looking for me. We went in there at Christmas this past year to see the gingerbread house and it was very nice decorated in the lobby area - and the flowery decor didn't stand out as much with the Christmas stuff up.

The CR just seems like Disney to me!

I adore the GF, it is by far my favorite resort. With that being said, with construction going on and the trip being in December, I would pick CR. GF is fantastic during the holidays but the foot traffic it sees is horrendous. 90% of the people wandering the property aren't staying there and it makes for a cluttered mess. Combine that with the added restrictions of construction walls and the serenity of the resort is shot.

CR resort Love to stay in BLT as a vacation club member. Love that they pipe in the music to the fireworks and the kids could stand by the window and watch the monorail go by for hours. Love the pool there as well. Have a great vacation

We just came back from a short trip to the GF. We had a construction view room and it was noisy from early morning until about 4:00 during the week. The theme pool and the beach are right next to the construction.

I wouldn't choose to stay there again until construction is done. While it only affects that one side of a beautiful resort right now, the building will be getting taller and much more noticeable as time goes on. I would save the money this year and stay at the CR. You can enjoy the GF when it is construction free.

Normally I would pick GF over the CR without looking back, especially in December when the gingerbread house and all the xmas decorations are up. It's such a lovely resort and the modernness of CR doesn't appeal to me (but that of course is a personal decision).

But there is construction going on over there so if you use the pools a lot or don't like the thought of this I'd recommend you go over the GF FAQ and look at the photos. Hopefully things will be better by December, but I would at least want to know about what was going on before I booked. Hope this helps! :goodvibes

We just got back...the construction beside the pool with the slide is VERY loud. Jack hammering, pounding.....We were only were there for a few hours before the noise was so unbearable that we left. I didn't hear any noise while at the other pool though.

another thing to consider for us-- the restaurant options. We did the regular dining plan on our last trip. We stayed at the GF, many of the options are 2 credits. We did enjoy 1900 and GFC though..

have a great trip! I loved GF-- my DH and DDs loved it even more than I did! I would love to try CR, I LOVE the fact you can walk to MK. A few times during our stay at GF, the monorail was packed. Lately I've heard there have been problems as well-- a quick walk like available at CR would have been nice!

the monorail stop thing really is kind of a wash, too. GF is one stop away from MK when going, CR is one stop away coming back (if you don't walk).

I like the fact that CR is vertical, so getting anywhere in the hotel is easy and inside.

We loved the theme park view room at CR. I'd vote for CR.

OK... so....

I'm a "CR fan for life" (sorry for the plagiarism !) and have stayed at both, several times, over the years.... Here are my thoughts:

1) Sorry for the sexist assumption, but I assume that, with your "signature", you have three daughters... and I would also then assume that they would prefer the "atmosphere" and surroundings of the GF over the CR.
2) The monorail and associated construction "may" still be an issue - and even though the GF is the "last stop" on the monorail before the MK, it is also is the last stop on the monorail loop from the MK; but you can actually walk to and from the MK to the CR (both have the boat as an option, but the short, safe walk is the quickest).
3) If the "view" of the MK (the "Castle") is important, then there is, pretty much, no better view you can get then from a "CR / Tower / MK View Room"... especially at night, with all the lights and fireworks - depending on your room location, you get the feeling you can almost reach out and touch the fireworks....
4) If you aren't "go - go - go" all day / all the time, and plan to have some "down-time" or spend time in the room; again, that view from your "private balcony" from the CR is fantastic; but, indeed, the room size and layout is much nicer at GF, and "a too crowded room can make for trying times"....
5) With three children, the bathroom certainly is an issue to be considered, although not necessarily a deal-breaker, but, generally speaking, the bathroom size and layout are much better at the GF.
6) If swimming is an issue - beach vs. pool may be another consideration worth looking into... the GF has both, but not the CR.
7) Dining - dining plan or not - should also be considered....

BUT... have you possibly considered other options...? (like it isn't hard enough already ! LOL !) Are you aware that there are rooms with an "MK view" at The Polynesian ? And if you were to be "Club Level" there, the "Club Room" provides a good view of the fireworks (of course, so does the CR Club Room - as well as your own balcony !) And from the Poly, it's just a short walk to the TTC.
And, if an "MK View" isn't absolutely manditory... how about Wilderness Lodge - although, I would absolutely recommend "The Beach Club Resort" instead. Admittedly not an "MK Resort"... the Beach Club has a wonderful atmosphere - bright and airy - lots of "personality" and is within walking distance to EPCOT and DHS (or a short boat ride to either), and great bus service to everywhere else. And it has, without a doubt, the BEST "pool" of all the Resorts, including the "natural sand bottom" which gives you that "at the beach" feel.
And, last but not least, it might also be worth your time to look int "Bay Lake Towers" (Contemporary Resort Complex)... which offers large, very spacious rooms and some spectacular views of the MK !
Bottom-line... for me it would be: 1) CR, 2) BC, 3) GF - but my personal recommendations for you and yours: 1) GF, 2) CR, 3) BLT 4) Poly, 5) BC, 6) WL. :wizard:

It is perhaps the hardest part of planning the trip - which resort? I have only stayed at the Poly, so can't speak of the CR or GF. But…..we are going in August and had a resy at GF - cancelled it when I saw photos/videos of the construction. It is really a personal thing, but I have heard reports of the noise, beeping of construction vehicles, limited views from the pool, etc. If it wasn't a luxury hotel, with a luxury price tag, I might be able to tolerate it. But if you might never visit the GF again, it would be sad to have your experience tainted by the construction. That said, we are leaning towards the CR. Never interested before in the theming at CR, but seems like the resort has so much to offer. Best of luck with your decision!:goofy::goofy:

We just changed our reservation from the GF to the CR. Once we saw the construction photos and reviews of it being noisy. At those prices you should not be subjected to that kind of disruptions. If they offered a discount while they are doing construction but they don't. Not worth it.

CR. I never stayed at the GF but I have gone there to eat and while it's beautiful, it just didn't scream Disney to me. CR has Chef Mickeys which the kids will love. The MK view is unbelievable. If I ever stayed at the GF it would be a trip with no kids which won't be for a loooong time!

Hi, we've never stayed at GF but have stayed at CR 3 times. We spend ages thinking about trying other resorts when we book but it always comes back to CR for us. Having 2 DD, MK is our favourite park and there is nothing better than a walk back to the hotel when everyone else is clambering for transport. It's so convenient for taking a mid-day break too and great for the monorail. We love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter