Can't believe what I saw on BTM

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headmaster of the school made all six boys write me letters of apology. I didn't want to get them in trouble. I only wanted them to see the severity of their actions!
Good for the headmaster!

I still can't believe that Disney didn't even look into it at all.

Well, you know how you get all those people on these boards who say it isn't your job to police bad guest behavior?

Apparently, WDW believes it isn't their job, either.

Just another symptom of the WDW decline, on both sides of the turnstyle. (Is that now an archaic reference?)

Of course, if I was barely making minimum wage, I probably wouldn't risk my life, reputation or job to try and fix stupid before someone got themselves killed...

I can't stop wondering if a snake fell in any of the boys while they were standing up!

Well, you know how you get all those people on these boards who say it isn't your job to police bad guest behavior?

Apparently, WDW believes it isn't their job, either.

I don't believe that WDW believes it isn't their job to police bad guest behavior. Which is why I don't believe everything went down the way the OP believes it did.

Yeah I'm calling bluff!! What I don't get is WHY the OP would take the time out to post this 4 months later. I'm almost positive attractions won't even move unless all harnesses are down. What a waste of my time reading the first few posts

Yeah I'm calling bluff!! What I don't get is WHY the OP would take the time out to post this 4 months later. I'm almost positive attractions won't even move unless all harnesses are down. What a waste of my time reading the first few posts

It's a good thing you didn't read the whole thread, then.

A lot of supposition going on. Let's edit the OP's post and fill in the blanks and see if we can come closer to what happened.

During our Thanksgiving trip, we witnessed a group of boys sporting a respectable private school letter jackets -this is irrelevant, but I can't stop dwelling on thme going to a private school and having all that money - on the BTMR ride. From where I sat, These boys pretended to have their lap bars clasped, even acted like they were trying to lift up the bars as the workers went past to check - or so it seemd to me, though I really don't know. But, then once we started out onto the track these three rows of boys all started to stand up on the. Ride. They pretended the lap bars were closed but really were planning to try and stand the entire ride - or so I am assume. One of them even climbed up and was standing on the seat. I was scared to death that these kids were going to get severely injured or worse. One boy was standing up trying to pull the bats off as we. Went through the cave. I think He nearly go this head knocked on the bones as we went by. I kept yelling at them to sit down, they didn't seem to care or listen - even though I went on and on and on . When the ride was over the happened to be a security man waiting where we exited the seats. I approached both the worker and security am. And told them what had happened. Their response to me was, and I quote, "that is not what he is here for!" I don't know if he was there to address this or if the CM would, but felt I should be the only one of all the riders to tell Disney how to do their jobs.I went to the main hall to file an official complaint. - as no one was listening to my rant and giving me the attention I wanted They didn't seem the least bit interested I. What I had to report.- don't understand why they won't all listen to ME as I am the expert and know best what everyone should do. Now, I know they have cameras on all of the rides. It would have been easy for the to check out what I was saying.- and they may have, I really don't know as they wouldn't tell ME who demanded to know how they would handle it. It was pretty much brushed off, and I was never contacted in any way from the company. -not that I should have been, but I love the attention
I was stunned. I can't even believe with all the technology today that the train would even be able to go out onto the track if there were seats not secured. - so it is likely the lap bars were secured, but the boys may have had them loose enough to wiggle out, I really don't know and am ony guessing. If that is the case, the workers need to by physically pulling every single bar themselves!

Surely Disney should have taken that seriously. I took it seriously enough to contact the school that those boys were representing! - because I had nothing else to do and needed some attention. I had their names as I followed and harrassed them to jot down their names and school until they finally had had enough and turned on us to heckle back. They happened to be on a school trip. Thankfully, their headmaster took it seriously enough to actually contact me back! after I made this big deal and tormented him. Too bad Disney didn't seem to care that there could have been a serious accident that evening, and probably potential lawsuits.
My daughter is traumatized, most likely by my going on and on about this all day and now months later too.

Some seem to think that it's OK that the kids stood up or am I misreading some of the comments? The OP might have gotten a bit carried away but hearing what they did is really shocking. I always thought that the cars would be stopped if someone was doing something like that. Where (if anywhere) safe of course.

Maybe it's just me, but given all I've seen over the years about CM's being more than willing to intervene when safety is at issue, I find it really hard to believe that six people stood up the entire trip around Thunder and nothing happened. I've seen them stop trains/boats/what-have-you for much much less.

So, I'm afraid that I call shenanigans.

I don't believe for a second this happened. I don't believe that anyone just stood idly by while a group of people stood up on Thunder Mountain Railroad. This is a multi-million dollar organization that prides itself on safety to avoid legal issues. I don't believe that anyone would've gone through the trouble of writing a letter to a high school principal because of the actions of students. I don't believe that anyone who has a child that is so traumatized by the incident would consider going BACK to the place that trauma took place if that child was still having nightmares.

If, on the off chance this is true, the problem isn't the kids who stood up on the ride the problem is the cast member who didn't care. Gripe to Disney, don't gripe to the school. And if you take formal complaints to Disney at corporate and they do nothing, then why on earth would you go back? None of this makes any sense to me.

Some seem to think that it's OK that the kids stood up or am I misreading some of the comments? The OP might have gotten a bit carried away but hearing what they did is really shocking. I always thought that the cars would be stopped if someone was doing something like that. Where (if anywhere) safe of course.

I don't think anybody is saying it was ok for the kids to be standing on the ride. Some, including me, think it was a bit over the top to complain about the kids to not just the CM operating the ride but also to security, guest services, track down the schools headmaster in order to complain to him, then continue to complain four months after the fact to a Disney message board.

I don't think anybody is saying it was ok for the kids to be standing on the ride. Some, including me, think it was a bit over the top to complain about the kids to not just the CM operating the ride but also to security, guest services, track down the schools headmaster in order to complain to him, then continue to complain four months after the fact to a Disney message board.
I suspected that I had misread some of the comments. That can happen when you come into a thread so late. ;)

I can see complaining but I would have stopped at Guest Services if the CM seemed indifferent and then I would have stopped and gone on about my day. The ride operators should have been well aware of it before the OP complained and that's what makes all of this so puzzling. Not that I believe everything I read of course....

I suspected that I had misread some of the comments. That can happen when you come into a thread so late. ;)

I can see complaining but I would have stopped at Guest Services if the CM seemed indifferent and then I would have stopped and gone on about my day. The ride operators should have been well aware of it before the OP complained and that's what makes all of this so puzzling. Not that I believe everything I read of course....

Then there are those who don't believe a word of the OP's story but I don't think anybody has said it is ok to stand up on rides.

Then there are those who don't believe a word of the OP's story but I don't think anybody has said it is ok to stand up on rides.

Add me to the list of those who don't believe.

You might be able to spoof the lap bars if they don't have electronic monitoring.

Do I believe for a second that these kids stood up and weren't caught by Disney? Nope. Disney once snagged me on Pirates because the Nightshot function on my camcorder was putting out an infrared beam that was blinding THEIR infrared cameras. Yeah, they watch that closely.

I think someone does need counseling here and it's not the OP's daughter.

Been reading this with rapt Saturday afternoon attention but I have to say that the lapbar can be "secured" with plenty of room to wriggle out. It's fairly simple. Put it one latch down and not touching your lap and you are cleared. Why do I know this? I'm 5 feet tall, husband 5'6" but with thick thighs. On any lapbar attraction, I have ample "air time". If I really wanted, I could get out of that lapbar and stand but I wouldn't do it.

Disney World cannot "secure" a lapbar that has a child seated next to an adult since the adult would have the first known restraint in his/her legs.

Someone explain how a lapbar can be completely and totally comfortable for everyone? Hence the seatbelts on Twilight Zone.

And so, now the first person who comes and says "all ride vehicles should have seatbelts and no lapbars" and then watch the spectacle when Disney shuts down specific rides for rehabs to get that done.

Disney World does more to ensure their safety of the attractions than what the state mandates. If the kids from a private school in Georgia were abusing that, that's not really Disney's fault. Yes, they could have expressed more concern to the OP but I'm not really sure what she wanted from Disney or anyone else. It's not going to help her daughter's fears. I'm not sure of the daughter's age since I have signatures turned off if that's posted there. If it's been four months since this happened, I, as a mother, would be concerned if my child hadn't gotten over the experience. However, there's not a darn thing Disney or those private school males can do about that. Disney and the males have moved on and hopefully learned.

Add me to the list of those who don't believe.

You might be able to spoof the lap bars if they don't have electronic monitoring.

Do I believe for a second that these kids stood up and weren't caught by Disney? Nope. Disney once snagged me on Pirates because the Nightshot function on my camcorder was putting out an infrared beam that was blinding THEIR infrared cameras. Yeah, they watch that closely.

I think someone does need counseling here and it's not the OP's daughter.
I know people on the Internet lie all the time but...what would really be the point of making up a story like this??

Add me to the list of non-believers. Disney pays close attention to behavior on rides. I'm not buying that 6 kids stood up on BTMRR and Disney (and all the other passengers on the train) ignored it. No way. No how.

Did something happen? :confused3 Maybe. I just don't believe it happened the way it's being portrayed here.

I agree about the lap bars. . they are not meant to totally restrain you and are only used on safer coasters. I have a feeling the teens were fooling around on the ride but not nearly to the extent the poster mentions. They may have stoop up during slower times/tried to grab stuff and be overall jerks but I don't see them standing on their seats during the whole ride. It's fairly tame for a major roller coaster and kids 40" can ride which includes lots of 3 year olds. I think you probably could stand up during a lot of it and be fine.

Add me to the list of non-believers. Disney pays close attention to behavior on rides. I'm not buying that 6 kids stood up on BTMRR and Disney (and all the other passengers on the train) ignored it. No way. No how.

Did something happen? :confused3 Maybe. I just don't believe it happened the way it's being portrayed here.

:thumbsup2

In this world of Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, smart phones and digital cameras, no one has proof of this? I have seen plenty of shaky, pointless and amateur Disney videos and I'm to believe there was a full train of BTMRR passengers and not one person snapped a pic? Not even a blurry, off-centered one? Yeah right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter