Can't believe this--need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

princessesrule

Mouseketeer
:eek:
So here's the situation. The past two times we have gone to WDW, we have gone with another family. Our kids really look forward to the trip we take every two years. My DD are 10, 12 and our friends have DD12 and DS10.

Obviously we bought adult tickets because of the ages of our kids. My friend told me that when they booked she said her kids were 8 and 9 so it would be cheaper! I couldn't believe it. I have been on these boards for so long and I know what an issue this is. Well, we debated about it and I finally convinced her that she needs to fix this because it affects the DDP as well.

The advice I need is what will happen if she calls and changes her ressie (besides the obvious price increase) will they let her change? Will they cancel? Will they black ball her from every visiting Disney. Please give the all scenerios from best to the worst that could happen.

Please don't flame...I have done enough of that.

TIA!

Can't say for sure- but I can't imagine they would not take her money. She can always say she was confused on the age limit of the tickets if it makes her feel better. Either way, I am glad they are doing the honest thing.

:eek:
So here's the situation. The past two times we have gone to WDW, we have gone with another family. Our kids really look forward to the trip we take every two years. My DD are 10, 12 and our friends have DD12 and DS10.

Obviously we bought adult tickets because of the ages of our kids. My friend told me that when they booked she said her kids were 8 and 9 so it would be cheaper! I couldn't believe it. I have been on these boards for so long and I know what an issue this is. Well, we debated about it and I finally convinced her that she needs to fix this because it affects the DDP as well.

The advice I need is what will happen if she calls and changes her ressie (besides the obvious price increase) will they let her change? Will they cancel? Will they black ball her from every visiting Disney. Please give the all scenerios from best to the worst that could happen.

Please don't flame...I have done enough of that.

TIA!

Is this the first time she has booked through Disney??? How long have their ages been wrong?? I would have her call ASAP and tell them that she noticed the invoice amount wasn't the same as what she was quoted online and then when they tell her she has child tickets she can say that they should be adult tickets. That way she is only telling a teeny tiny white lie, but correcting an overt dispicable enormous lie. :lmao:

She could just change their names and enter the witness protection program, lol. I'm just glad it's not me having to deal with this issue. I also do not think it will be too big of a deal to change their ages to the correct ones. Disney will be glad they are righting a wrong. I have seen parents try to sneak in "obviously over 3 year olds" for free, just to be directed to the ticket booth to buy them a ticket. They are not thrown out and blackballed...

I'm pretty shocked that people are suggesting she lie to cover up her lie :sad2:
It will be no problem just to call and change their ages, no explanation is necessary. People are allowed to make their child older for the dining plan so the CM will probably suspect that is why she is changing their ages. My DD was 8 on our trip and I contemplated listing her as 10 and paying the higher ticket price so she would have more variety with the dining plan (free dining). That is totally allowed.

We go with my mom and sister and between my 2 DD's and my sister's 3 kids, no one gets away with lying about ages.
Last year the kids aged from 12, 11, 10, 9 and 8 my mom booked the trip and when we checked in and got the room KTTW cards. We have been every since they were babies and so they know what the difference between child and adult is on the ticket. My DD who was 10 was looking forward to it saying adult on her ticket noticed that it still said child. So she looked at my nephew who was 11 and it also said child, well the 2 of them spoke up and asked my mom why it still said child, right in front of the CM.
Come to find out my mom had lied about the ages to save money. BAD BAD BAD grandmother. She had to pay the difference. She just said that for some reason they much have put in the wrong dates. However the interesting part is that when she booked it, they already had all of our names in the system from our previous trips. For some reason they asked for the ages. I would have assumed that the DOB would have been in their also.
My mom learned her lesson, not to lie because these kids won't let you get away with it. I really wouldn't have even noticed it except when we used the DDP because my DD likes the adult meals.
I just hope your friend will make the change before she gets there because when her kids see the cards, they may be surprised and call her out on it too.

I would just call and say she wants to adjust her kids ages. She doesn't want them having to pick from the kiddie menu. That's all.

I'm pretty shocked that people are suggesting she lie to cover up her lie :sad2:

My DD was 8 on our trip and I contemplated listing her as 10 and paying the higher ticket price so she would have more variety with the dining plan (free dining).

:confused3

On a shock level of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest, just HOW shocked are you? Because after reading that.....I'm off the scale.

I don't think they will ban here either and may be thankful for her honesty and that she had a change of heart to "not steal".

My father lied about my age everywhere we went. It was embarrassing and humiliating. I could never have done it to my own kids and I won't do it to my grandkids. If I can't afford the small price difference (and in the long run and bigger picture -- it is a "small" price difference), then I shouldn't be going in the first place. Please encourage your friend to spare her children this embarrassment.

:confused3

On a shock level of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest, just HOW shocked are you? Because after reading that.....I'm off the scale.

Why? Disney does allow you to get an adult ticket for a child if you want them to have adult options...she's listing him as a 10 yr old - paying more - not less. You're shocked by that?

She needs to just put on her big girl panties and tell the truth, because honestly, most 12 year olds look nowhere near 9 and she will get caught.

I guess I'm lucky, as my parents would never have told us to lie about our ages just to save a few bucks and they were very frugal and tight with a buck. We were raised to be honest and that's how we raised ours kids. As I said on another thread this week about lying about kids ages, my DS (25) was small for his age and still doesn't look his age, was 3.5 the first trip we took, but we bought him a child's ticket and paid for his meals and never, ever considered doing it any other way.

Everyone has their own moral code to live by, but mine comes from a higher source.

I'm a fan of the little white lie cover up when she calls back. No big deal since she is calling back. :)

My mother lied about my age all the time for Disney growing up. (We went a lot living in FL so there were a lot of opportunities.) And this was before they really recorded things. I'm tall - always have been - so she claims it started by her being "annoyed" when I was still 2 and talking quite well and some CM asked me how old I was when she didn't have a ticket for me to enter (when she honestly didn't need one). Since my mother tends to think the worst of people, she assumed the CM thought I had to be more than 2 and was trying to ask me my age instead of my mother, cuz surely a kid would be honest about their age. Blah, blah.
Anyway, my mother used this an excuse to keep me a "kid" for a couple of years beyond what she should have. (And she'd always remind me to lie about my age if anyone asked! Might have been the worst part, but thankfully no one ever did ask.) Then, when she couldn't do it for tickets any longer, she'd still do it for the room. And when my grandmother would come, she'd even make my grandmother a child for room purposes! I remember feeling horrible one Christmas when they left a Christmas card with both our our names on it as the kids.

Anyway! Sorry for the vent - clearly I will not be doing this with my kids one day. :)

Why? Disney does allow you to get an adult ticket for a child if you want them to have adult options...she's listing him as a 10 yr old - paying more - not less. You're shocked by that?

Why yes, yes I am.

Because you see, it appears that it is "ok" if one lies in order to give Disney more money but not ok if one lies to give Disney less money. It isn't about what is allowed. A lie is a lie, no?

Why must one lie to Disney in order to get adult options? Why not just state your kid is 8 and have the choice to get child or adult?

I don't think it will be a problem to call and fix. Our trip last summer my kids ages were wrong when I called. It took awhile to correct but they did it. It didn't affect the ddp or tickets.. they just had them listed as the ages they were from the previous trip which I think was 4 and 11.

Truthfully I wouldn't get involved and let your friend sort it out however she and her conscience see fit.

FWIW I took my nephew on his first trip when he was 9. We went in August. He turned 10 the following December. I booked a return trip for us in July the following year using an AP rate. CM was encouraging me to add the DP...I explained at least 3 times that DN doesn't eat enough to make paying adult price for the DP worth my while. Told him very plainly more than once that DN was 10... CM kept pricing him as a child for the DP (didn't need to add tix due to AP). Finally I gave in and booked with dining with DN as a child. I figured that for aging purposes, Disney doesn't know the kids birthday, but rather their "anniversary" day. Their system didn't likely have my nephew turning 10 until August--the "anniversary" of his first trip. When we booked for August of last year, they did have him as an adult, though luckily for me I had booked a bounceback with free dining (before you had to buy a 2 day base ;))

I think this is being WAY over thought.

Call, tell the truth, adjust the reservation. Disney won't care one bit.

There are always mistakes made on reservations. I don't see it being any big deal to call and have the children's ages adjusted. They will tell her that her package will increase in money and she will have to pay the difference, but other than that, I can't see it being a problem at all. She doesn't even need to go into an explanation beyond saying she would like to adjust the ages of her children. It'll be fine. Enjoy your vacation!!:goodvibes

Why yes, yes I am.

Because you see, it appears that it is "ok" if one lies in order to give Disney more money but not ok if one lies to give Disney less money. It isn't about what is allowed. A lie is a lie, no?

Why must one lie to Disney in order to get adult options? Why not just state your kid is 8 and have the choice to get child or adult?

Just so you know I wasn't going to lie. I had already given her DOB. I considered calling back and changing her status to adult and paying more. I was going to tell the CM that I just wanted to change her to 10 and pay more so that she wouldn't have to order off the child's menu. I wasn't going to tell them she was 10, just that I wanted to pay the 10 year old price for her. Which as I said is totally allowed and fine. In the end after checking all the menus I figured she would find plenty to eat on the child's plan and decided not to spend the extra money on ticket so I did not do it.

I am shocked that people who are saying lying is so bad and she should pay the extra are suggesting she lie to do it! If lying is wrong, it's wrong, no grey area. Fess up and pay the difference. But as I said before no explanation will really be required. If you're calling to change your reservation to something that will give Disney more money they aren't going to question you :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter