• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

canon vs sigma vs tamron 18-200mm

blakrose9999

Mouseketeer
I have a canon t3i and current lenses I have are 18-55mm, 50-250mm, and 50mm 1.8. Most often I use my 18-55mm lens and only use the 20-250mm when I'm in a situation that requires it. But I am now occasionally on various trips finding a need/ desire for both at the same time making it difficult to switch between the two quiclkly. I am looking for an all in one lens for those times when it's too time consuming to switch lenses and I desire the ability to quickly switch back and forth between lengths. I know I will lose some quality as apposed to switching between my current lenses, but I'm looking more for the convenience.
Currently I am looking between Canon - 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6, Sigma - 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 and Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3. I want to know the good and bad points of each as compared to each other

I have a canon t3i and current lenses I have are 18-55mm, 50-250mm, and 50mm 1.8. Most often I use my 18-55mm lens and only use the 20-250mm when I'm in a situation that requires it. But I am now occasionally on various trips finding a need/ desire for both at the same time making it difficult to switch between the two quiclkly. I am looking for an all in one lens for those times when it's too time consuming to switch lenses and I desire the ability to quickly switch back and forth between lengths. I know I will lose some quality as apposed to switching between my current lenses, but I'm looking more for the convenience.
Currently I am looking between Canon - 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6, Sigma - 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 and Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3. I want to know the good and bad points of each as compared to each other

the bad points are those lens will not be as sharp as the 18-55IS and 55-250IS combination. And some will not have the same aperture at the equivalent focal range and the AF (auto focusing). But if you're willing to live with that and really want a super zoom type lens look at the Tamron 18-270 Di II VC LD or the Canon 18-200IS.
For a more in depth explanation of each lens go to the lens section at this forum
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

DPReview tested a number of theses superzoom lenses and posted the reviews along with test results. Some are "recommended", none are great, all are pretty bad in some areas. It is the price we pay for such convenience.

thanks for the advice I know I will be sacrificing quality but it's a compromise i'm willing to make for the increased flexability

DPReview tested a number of theses superzoom lenses and posted the reviews along with test results. Some are "recommended", none are great, all are pretty bad in some areas. It is the price we pay for such convenience.

I will definatley go check this site out

There is also one other downside that isn't mentioned very often. Maybe I'm the only one that it drives crazy. That is lens creep. All my long lenses are IF (internal focus). I was at a birthday party and at the last minute was asked to shoot the party with their camera. It was a Sony DSLR (this was prior to or about the same time that Sony was introducing SLT's) with a Tamron 18-250. Any downward tilt to the camera and the lens full extended. I was banging the lens barrel on everything, people, chairs, tables, etc. Every time I brought the lens up to shoot, I had to completely re-adjust the focal length. About drove me nuts!! Afterwards, I did some research and found this was a common problem with all-in-ones. There are rubber band-type things that you can put on the lens to help with this issue. I always thought, like you, that (at times) for convenience an all-in-one would be the way to go. This soured me on that idea. Just be aware that lens creep can be an issue. If that is okay with you then disregard everything I just wrote!:rotfl2:

There is also one other downside that isn't mentioned very often. Maybe I'm the only one that it drives crazy. That is lens creep. All my long lenses are IF (internal focus). I was at a birthday party and at the last minute was asked to shoot the party with their camera. It was a Sony DSLR (this was prior to or about the same time that Sony was introducing SLT's) with a Tamron 18-250. Any downward tilt to the camera and the lens full extended. I was banging the lens barrel on everything, people, chairs, tables, etc. Every time I brought the lens up to shoot, I had to completely re-adjust the focal length. About drove me nuts!! Afterwards, I did some research and found this was a common problem with all-in-ones. There are rubber band-type things that you can put on the lens to help with this issue. I always thought, like you, that (at times) for convenience an all-in-one would be the way to go. This soured me on that idea. Just be aware that lens creep can be an issue. If that is okay with you then disregard everything I just wrote!:rotfl2:

I have read of that issue but the ones I am looking at all have a lens lock to prevent it

I asked a very similar question recently, except I have a Sony A65, and asked about the 18-250 lenses. However, having just returned from a short trip to Disney, I've changed my mind. I find that I use the long reach very seldom, and when doing so, these "all-in-ones" tend to be slow (I already have both a 28-200 and a 70-210). I used my 18-55 kit lens most of the time, and frequently needed either something wider, or something that worked better in low-light (or both).

I have read of that issue but the ones I am looking at all have a lens lock to prevent it

While lens locks sound cool, they are another hindrance. If you lock it, then want to shoot quickly, you have to unlock it to change the focal length. You miss the shot!! I have a lock on my 28-70 f2.8 (fortunately it does not suffer from lens creep) and I never keep it on when I'm working. Its just another thing I don't want to think about. When I'm shooting with an IF lens, its usually around similar focal lengths so I only have to make minor adjustments and then the camera has to re-focus. That's a lot going on in a short period of time and if you have to constantly make major adjustments in focal length or unlock the lens and re-focus, it can get frustrating. If you are okay with it, then that's fine. Just be aware that its an issue.

thanks for the advice I know I will be sacrificing quality but it's a compromise i'm willing to make for the increased flexability

that's fine, many people like superzoom lens for traveling. But look for one used, the Tamron and Sigma ones usually sell at big discounts from the new price

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter