Canon S3

In that second one, maybe you were too close? Might have wanted the macro setting turned on (just a guess or were you using the zoom?).

"You’ll be able to get dramatic close-ups, freeze fast action, create wonderful panoramas, and capture the beauty and wonder of rainbows, sunsets, fireworks, and nighttime scenes."

Doesn't that description give you a warm & fuzzy feeling?!! Makes you want to race to the "add to shopping cart" button just as fast as your fingers can move!! :moped: It's amazing how they make it sound like you're going to be an instant pro as soon as you read the book!! :laughing: (I haven't read anything negative about the book, advertising is just so funny to me somtimes:) ).

I got mine 3 days before our trip , was holding out 4 a sale that never came.
Any way, I parused the manual on the plane and got the jist of it. There were some things in the book that made no sense to me at all, but I feel like I got some pretty good shots. I shot painly in P (program) mode. Don't be afraid to change something, you can always set it back to default. Here are a few of my shots from our trip last month.

IMG_1079.jpg

SLOW SYNC FLASH
IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

SELECTIVE COLORING
IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

LANDSCAPE
IMG_1134.jpg

theblondebee ~

Those are great shots! I love the selective coloring one! Have to admit I have no clue where to find that though.:rotfl:

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Jeanne ~

In that second one, maybe you were too close? Might have wanted the macro setting turned on (just a guess or were you using the zoom?).

I was pretty close plus I zoomed in.

You know... since I posted this thread, I've been fiddling with the camera much more so maybe there is hope. It seemed that after I read the manual, I just shrugged and put the camera back on the shelf. I tried a few times and the results were not great. You should see the pictures I took when we went to Alight at Night (it's a village from the past that is all lit up for tourists to visit during the holidays) The pictures are terrible. :(

This is the one I took this morning using the P just to see.

IMG_12022.jpg

Something tells me that even she is tired of my endless picture snapping!

I have this one for my S2, also had it for my older Nikon 995, great books. :thumbsup2 :coffee:
Like Pea-n-Me said, you can pick up a lot of good tips just by reading these boards. And probably one of the best tools is to just practice, practice, practice with different settings. Sometimes using a tripod and/or the 2-second shutter delay (pg 43 of the manual) helps for certain situations such as fireworks. I have the S3 and honestly I leave it on auto a lot but I've had some luck with different settings. I also haven't thoroughly read through the manual which really should be a must do!! Here's a link to a Short Course book for the S3, I haven't bought this myself but I've heard about it on other photography forums.

http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canons3is.htm

Sorry, it's not selective coloring, its color accent. You go scn on the dial, then then you do the forward botton until you see an A with an ink dripper beside it. From there you press set and point at the color you want to accent, press the back side of the button and set again. Here are a few more. It's really fun to play with.

MACRO COLOR ACCENT
IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

theblondebee, tell me what the advantage is in using P mode. I know I've seen it mentioned here before, but I forget. I love your pictures! I haven't tried the accent mode yet, but I will.

When in P mode, you can change many settings that will improve your photo.There is exposure compensation, in case there is too much light in part of the pic and it is causing other parts to be underexposed.

There is white balance which I checked constantly while we were there because it rained on and off the whole time and the lighting is different in all the restaurants.As soon as we sat down, I took test shots of the kids so we would be ready when the characters came around, adjusting the white balance, with or without flash or with slow sync or maybe just lowering the flash output, which is something else you can do in P mode.
Also, there is color adjustment, including natural, vivid-helpful on those cloudy days, neutral, which softens the colors, sepia and black and white.
There is also a setting to take a photo normally and in one of the other modes at the same time so you don't have to choose one or the other.
I hope this helps you out some. The best thing to just to play with the settings to see how you prefer the exposures and learn how to change the settings quickly if necessary.

Both are very nice cameras. I bought the Canon S3 for my wife at Christmas. It got great reviews and she loves it. I have the Nikon D50, so we use SD cards. I wanted to get it to one type of memory card. The SD cards are cheaper and easier to get.

As Garris said, they are both good cameras. You won't go wrong with either choice. I personally chose the Sony because that was what was in stock and have been extremely happy. Go to a store and pick them up, get a sense of how each feels in your hand (weight, ergonomics, etc.).

Great cameras with a lot of supporters for each. Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll take great pics.

I agree. Go to a store and find out which one feels better to you.

I went with the H5 in the end. I thought I was going to the store to buy the S3 and changed my mind after looking at the screens and the feel in my hands.

Both cameras are Great, you can't go wrong with either one.

Resurrecting this thread......today is "get started on income taxes" day for me, and I'm not in the mood. Figured I'd try some snow shots with my S3.

Nothing very photo-worthy in my back yard, but you can see the diff. in the two pictures. This was taken using Auto mode:
IMG_0959.jpg

And this was taken using the Snow mode under "SCN" on the dial:
IMG_0960.jpg

What do you think? I'm not so sure I like the Snow mode. I know it's supposed to get rid of a blue tint and balance objects against the bright snow. I like the way Snow mode lightened the shadows, but it made the snow that's in the sunlight look dirty! I suppose I could always take the Auto version and lighten the shadows using Elements; that would keep the snow white. And then I'd find something else to adjust and I'd be here all day playing with one photo and not getting started on taxes! :)

I like the auto mode better. Maybe the snow mode would work better on a brighter area.

like auto better, number two looks like a bunch of dogs have been in the backyard :crazy2: :lmao: :

hi
I haven't been to this board in a about a month. Imagine my surprise to see this thread back on pg 1. lol

I like phot #1 too. #2 looks way too sepia. :confused3
If we EVER get some snow here in New England this winter, maybe I'll be able to try some snow pics. I hate snowless winters. Just brown dead stuff everywhere.

Oh...and sorry to anyone reading thread from beginning just now. I had to password protect my Photobucket account recently when some jerk from the DIS took one of my photos (of me) & labelled it KKK. But since he was in violation of Terms of Service, Photobucket took care of that for me. I'll try to go back & add the links for photos directly into the threads.

hi
Oh...and sorry to anyone reading thread from beginning just now. I had to password protect my Photobucket account recently when some jerk from the DIS took one of my photos (of me) & labelled it KKK. But since he was in violation of Terms of Service, Photobucket took care of that for me. I'll try to go back & add the links for photos directly into the threads.
:scared1: :mad: That is ridiculous!!! I am so sorry that happened to you.

I just purchased and received the Canon S3.:cheer2: My trip is in 26 days.:woohoo: I need to get rechargeable batteries at a good price. Also I would appreciate any advice to a novice of this camera. In simple terms.:thumbsup2

Welcome to the S3 club! I got mine back in Sept. and I'm STILL learning what this camera can do.

You only have 26 days, so all I can advise is to get out there and try the diff. settings to see what you like. Obviously, Auto is the easiest; you might want to try some of the night settings if you're planning some pictures of the night parade - there's one night setting on the dial and another under the SCN mode (I'm at work and don't have my camera in front of me to tell you which is which). Try the Sports mode - it's great for stopping action. The zoom on the camera is incredible!

As for batteries, I haven't had to change my S3 batteries as much as my old Canon A70. I bought the Eveready rechargeables at Best Buy; there are folks on this board who can tell you where to get them really cheap. There's also a thread here on chargers - make sure you get one that charges SLOW - 8 hours/overnight, NOT one of the 15-min chargers. The fast chargers wear out your batteries way too fast.

And you might want to get this book: http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/canon/book_canons3is.htm. I finally got it this week, and it's awesome! MUCH better than the manual that comes with the camera.

I'll second the recommendation for the short courses e-book. Very nicely done and it explains a great deal that will help with the camera.

Battery life of the S3 is very good... so good that I've decided to do away with rechargables for disney trips and use Energizer e2 lithium disposables.

I have a set in my S3 that has taken over 500 photos and probably close to an hour of video and is still going strong. They cost 8 to 10 for a set of 4, but they last so long that I think it's worth it.

They lighten the load of what to pack for Disney trips.

Ted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter