canon or nikon ???

...they'd rather have you want to upgrade to a 30D/40D and more expensive lenses. Being the top seller gives them the luxury of doing that.

I have learned this lesson from many manufacturers (not just cameras) and I agree totally that Canon wants people to upgrade within a year or so of buying. I bought 2 P&S Canon cameras and upgraded the first one within a year (kind of broke it anyways, but I wanted to upgrade) and then I upgraded again this year to the 30D. The reason I upgraded to the 30D was simple. My choices were "lesser" build cameras like the XT or XTi (notice I say build because I think the image quality is almost identical), or go for it and get the 30D. I didn't want to feel the "upgrade pinch" so I got the 30D and the best glass for my needs, the 70-200 f2.8L IS. I also got the nifty fifty and the 17-85 IS. I am sick of upgrading so I just went for it. Now, if I had the money, I would have gone to the 5D, but that was really really pushing it. I don't feel the need to upgrade to it now, and if I did feel the need, my DW would "remind" me that it wasn't necessary. Perhaps, if this hobby ever brings in some money, I may upgrade to it, but I think I would spend it on better and better lenses and cool gadgets, and flashes and tripods and batteries and CF cards and bags and, well, you get the idea.

By the way, to be perfectly honest, looking back on it now, I may have purchased a Pentax if I could have found a store that had one so that I could play with it a bit. I probably would have felt some separation anxiety though as I have always always had Canon cameras.

[edited]
By the way, to be perfectly honest, looking back on it now, I may have purchased a Pentax if I could have found a store that had one so that I could play with it a bit. I probably would have felt some separation anxiety though as I have always always had Canon cameras.

And... since we're into confessions here... several years ago before I bought my first DSLR... I probably would have gone with Nikon if they had a comparable (price and capability) model when the Digital Rebel came out. I had no auto focusing lenses or current model flash guns. SO there was no special reason for any particular manufacturer at the time. And I HAD a long running inclination for Nikon.

Oh well....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter