Canon DSLR users: what is your "walk around" lens?

just adding i have gone through a few of my photos from last weekend and i'm fairly happy with the results of the 28-135( too bad i had my usually focus problems with my 50mm for the few i used that one for but that's another topic:rolleyes: ) which makes me realize 2 things,1) i definitely had a dud copy with the first one i had and 2) i should be using this lens more:) it is a little less wide than i would like but then again you have more zoom so it's a trade off. it's a lot sharper than my copy of the kit lens ( which isn't bad but this one is better)

just adding i have gone through a few of my photos from last weekend and i'm fairly happy with the results of the 28-135( too bad i had my usually focus problems with my 50mm for the few i used that one for but that's another topic:rolleyes: ) which makes me realize 2 things,1) i definitely had a dud copy with the first one i had and 2) i should be using this lens more:) it is a little less wide than i would like but then again you have more zoom so it's a trade off. it's a lot sharper than my copy of the kit lens ( which isn't bad but this one is better)

Glad you finally got a decent 28-135 lens... and you like it. :) So when do we get to see those shots??

so happy to see all the references to the 28--135 IS - I finally took the plunge and ordered one and should have it within the week :banana: :banana: :banana: The waiting is absolutely killing me though.

Glad you finally got a decent 28-135 lens... and you like it. :) So when do we get to see those shots??
i put up a few on the non disney vacation thread but most are still unconverted...have to do some stuff for hubby's work this week ( you know the old "you play you pay" deal :) )but maybe i'll get to them by, oh next month or so:lmao:;)

Thanks for all of your responses. You have convinced me to get the 28-135 USM IS. I had previously thought that I would get the 70-300 f4-5.6 IS usm, but with all of the references to the 70-200 f4 L you've got me thinking hard in that direction. My main questions regarding the 70-200 are 1) do you miss the IS or is the lens just that good that it isn't necessary and 2) do you get a good enough "reach" for most things?

Thanks again for all of your responses, looking forward to more!

My main questions regarding the 70-200 are 1) do you miss the IS or is the lens just that good that it isn't necessary and 2) do you get a good enough "reach" for most things?

To answer #1, the lens is really good and if you opt to get the f/4 with IS you will get in to another debate...at almost the same price you could get the faster f/2.8 ...but then will you do like I did and convince yourself to get the f/2.8 with IS for those times you don't want to steady the f/4, but it is heavier.

To answer #2, there never seems to be good enough reach or width once you find that shot that is perfect 'if'. Most times these can be corrected with a couple steps forward or backward ...if you are not on a ride....

Congrats on the 28-135mm decision...it has been one of my favorite walk around lenses for a long time.

some samples with the 70-200mm f/4.0 L non-IS

AK Harambe ride, 6 week old baby giraffe at 90mm f/10.0:

IMG_0085.jpg

AK walk in zoo after Harambe, gorilla at 200mm f/5.0

IMG_0172.jpg

if you find the 70-200 f4 isn't enough reach you can get a teleconverter( 1.4 would give you like 280ish) but you lose one stop of light...not a problem if you normally want that reach outside and during the day. kenko is about $190 and reviews about as good as the canon

plus it' s sharp enough you can crop alot and get close to what you would get with a 300 lens uncropped. the 70-300 is a good lens from what i've seen as well. the major determining factor for me between the 200f4 non is and 300 is was the build quality. the f4 is just better built than the 300 and lighter than the other versions of the 70-200 ...imo the 70-200 is a great lens for so cheap a price.
i have some weakness in my arms and probably should use a monopod more than i do but most of my shots are pretty sharp minus IS or support. occasionally i use a monopod if my hands are shakier but not always. and i love close ups with that lens cause it focuses at 4 ft a way and if you are at 200mm it is super sharp...
my husband took this one the first time he used my rebel xt using the 70-200 f4 and i cropped it about 70 %(?) he doesn't know how to change the aperture etc so i might not have used the same f stop he did but i think it shows how sharp the lens is.
20070710joesphotos098copy.jpg

I wanted something which was a bit wider than 24 or 28, and that I could afford...so went for the Sigma 17-70 back in March. I am a newbie to DLSR and foudn for walking round WDW this gave me want I needed during the day. For shows or Animals (stayed at AKL) used a Canon 70-300IS and had great results (for me!) of spectro using a Canon 50 ptime. Am generally very pleased but have had to send back the Sigma for barrel distortion.

Fuse

I have the 28-135 and the 24-70. If your budget can handle it, I'd recommend the 24-70 or the 24-105 IS over the 28-135. I'd get the 24-70 if you're taking a lot of shots of moving subjects or want the narrowest possible DOF.

I did it!! I ordered my Rebel XTi and lenses today. After all of your great input, I decided on the 28-135 IS USM and the 70-200 4.0 L lenses. Thanks again to all of you for your help, you rock!

Now just waiting.......:hourglass

I use the 28-135IS for most daily shots (I love this lens). I also have the "Thrifty Fifty" for indoor shots.

I will be cruising on Disney at the end of this year.. and I have reserved a rental 10-22 EF-S and a 300 F4 IS to take with (the f2.8 was out of my price range for a two week rental :). I'm also thinking about adding a 1.4x Teleconverter to the rental for a little extra reach on the 300mm. If my math is correct, on my Rebel XT the 300mm should perform as a 480mm (because of the frame sizing), and with the 1.4x I lose one stop out to f5.6, and get out to 672mm. Good enough for daytime shots on the islands.

My regular walk around lense for most things is a Tamron 28-75 f2.8
but dependng on where I will be I sometimes carry my Canon 70-200 f4.0 on my camera. I like both lenses a lot.

I am considering getting rid of my 28-135 for the 28-75 lens just for the f2.8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter