Canon 55-250IS - DEAL on B&H Photo

I wanted to expound on this a bit, the 50-150 Sigma isn't listed as telephoto, as compared with others at the 70-200 (or more) which are.
http://www.adorama.com/SG50150AEOS.html

Would that still be considered telephoto and have the same speed issues or is it under the telephoto designation and more like a traditional lens... if that term can used.

Thanks!

50-100 would be considered by many to be a telephoto zoom. especially on a crop camera. But it's one of those middle lenses that gets categorized in different places by different people. There is different groups of lenses and the numbers that put a lens in one group or another aren't set in stone anywhere. Generally telephoto is considered to be anything over 70mm but with a crop body some consider anything over 55 to be telephoto. Like most things when it comes to photography it's about more than what the specs say.

How fast a lens you have, meaning the ability to get a fast shutter speed in low light, comes from a combination of a long focal length, aperture and lens weight. F/2.8 is fairly fast when you're at 50mm but it gets slower as your lens gets longer and heavier. The question is how slow is too slow for you? How steady can you hold a heavier lens? And of course, what is your personal shooting style because it always comes back to that.

There's also different ideas of what low light and night shooting are and the lenses everyone recommends will be biased by their interpretation of what that is, along with their personal style. In the end you can't base what you buy only on someone elses recs or you're going to end up with a lot of lenses that are not right for you. I get the urge to run out and buy a bunch of lenses to cover everything. But it's really counterproductive until you learn how you shoot. And that can only happen with time.

I shouldn't have made it appear I wanted the teleconverter for night time shots at the world. Sorry to confuse anyone with listing the three together like that.

I ordered the $150 lens, so that is done.

I'll have to go out and experiment thru the ranges more before going any farther.
Thank you everyone for bearing with me, I really appreciate it'!

I shouldn't have made it appear I wanted the teleconverter for night time shots at the world. Sorry to confuse anyone with listing the three together like that.

I'll have to go out and experiment thru the ranges more before going any farther.

Congrats. You got a steal of a deal!

I would still leave the teleconverter off the list for now.
you'll get a lot of use out of the 55-250IS (until you start wanting 400mm and f2.8 then it gets expensive)

Wow, that was quick shipping. It came today.

I ran outside in the harsh 4pm sun without a cloud to be found and shot a few quick frames. My n00bishness abounds but here are a few:

No real flowers, everything is dead from the heat so I dug some fake ones out of the basement ;)
Taken with a canon T4i, Large jpeg, no PP strait from the camera.

IMG_0828.jpg

f/4 1/1600 sec ISO-100 0step 55mm

IMG_0829.jpg

f/9 1/320 sec ISO-100 0 step 55mm

IMG_0831.jpg

f/9 1/320 sec ISO-100 0 step 90mm

IMG_0802.jpg

Focus was on the flag, 5-10mph winds.
f/5.6 1/800 ISO-100 0 step 250mm

Wow, that was quick shipping. It came today.

I ran outside in the harsh 4pm sun without a cloud to be found and shot a few quick frames. My n00bishness abounds but here are a few:

No real flowers, everything is dead from the heat so I dug some fake ones out of the basement ;)
Taken with a canon T4i, Large jpeg, no PP strait from the camera.

f/9 1/320 sec ISO-100 0 step 90mm

[
Focus was on the flag, 5-10mph winds.
f/5.6 1/800 ISO-100 0 step 250mm

even though I now have longer and larger telephoto lens I still keep the 55-250IS because it's small (literally pocket size), sharp and great for traveling when don't want to carry the big stuff

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter