• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canon 50D lenses

lovetheprincesses

Mouseketeer
Hi, I need help. What is the best lens for me to be able to capture photos in a dark auditorium?? Also, for tennis, what is the best lens?? I have a Canon 50D and a Canon Rebel XSi and own the 28-135 lens, the 18-55, the 50, and had the 28-135 on when I took the last photos this wknd. The photos were all blurry....

They were blurry likely because you were photographing action and low light with too slow of a shutter speed.
To improve that, you need:
1 -- To manually set your camera somewhat. Adjust the ISO and shutter speed to prevent blur.
2 -- Possibly get a lens that will ALLOW faster shutter speed, by having a wider aperture. The standout lens for an indoor auditorium would be the 70-200/2.8.

Is your 50 the 1.8? That would be phenomenal for a low light situation and allow you to use a higher shutter speed. That's what I plan on using on rides etc. It does limit your zoom capabilities obviously, but it might be worth it.

I believe that all your zoom lenses are f5.6 fully zoomed, correct? So, a dark auditorium isn't going to look much better with your cameras. The XSi should have marginally better ISO performance (I think) due to it being a newer sensor.

But, even at 800 ISO, you may not be happy with the clarity of your photos.

Are you shooting in AUTO? If so, the camera will decrease your shutter length to match the darkness, i.e., keep it open longer, thus the blurry photo.

With current array of lenses, you'll need to foot zoom (get there early enough to get close) so you don't have to use the zoom feature. Or, shoot in manual and set your own shutter and ISO. That is your best option.

The tennis photos, if shot outside in sunlight, shouldn't be a problem. All you zoom lenses should take really nice shots outside in the sunlight. If you are indoor under lights like a gym, you will need to try white balance with fluorescent lighting or tungsten or shoot in raw and do custom color temperature in post-processing.

If you can purchase a new lens, for your type of photo needs, I'd recommend either the 85mm f1.8 or the 135 f2.0 L lens. Both are really good inside in low light IF you take control of some of the aspects of your photography. In AUTO, even those lenses aren't going to consistently provide you what you are looking for.

Hi, I need help. What is the best lens for me to be able to capture photos in a dark auditorium?? Also, for tennis, what is the best lens?? I have a Canon 50D and a Canon Rebel XSi and own the 28-135 lens, the 18-55, the 50, and had the 28-135 on when I took the last photos this wknd. The photos were all blurry....

like others have indicated the 'blurry' pics were probably due to low shutter speeds. The best lens would be one of the 70-200 2.8 zooms or a large aperture prime but the cost will likely be more than your kit lens.
however you can good tennis pics with a $100 kit lens and the 50mm 1.8 could work for concerts assuming you can get close to the stage

Canon Rebel XSi
Canon 55-250IS (original version)
ISO 2500
1/800

3794382633_94505f626e_b.jpg

50mm 1.8

13523267805_5e77cfcff1_b.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter