• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canon 40D and what to carry it in?

pxlbarrel

They won't allow any kind of cow
It's been a while since I was on the board. Since I was here last, I made it to all the Disney parks in Asia and hope to be visiting the other parks (except Paris) by September (which would make 5 parks in 1 year!)

Anyway, I schlepped my Rebel XT with 3 lenses, a flash, spare batteries (for both the camera and the flash), lots of memory cards, a Canon Elura camcorder, cables, a laptop, and probably the rest of the kitchen sink with me all over Japan and Hong Kong. I thought I managed pretty well...considering I didn't have a sherpa with me.

Now...as a treat, I bought myself the Canon 40D on Boxing Day. That sucker weighs a heck of a lot more than the Rebel. I wondered...if I could fit all that crap and the 40D into one carry on (they were two carry on when I went to Asia), I could have a free hand while travelling. I have looked at the Tamrac Adventure 9 backpack. It says it's a carry on but...ok, it fits the airline's carry on dimensions but if you pack it with a 40 D body, 3 lenses and all that crap from above... doesn't it then go over the weight limit the airlines have for 1 piece of carry on luggage?

Does anybody have any good bag? And what about at the parks? I used to just carry the camera and lens in a zoom loader (Lowepro) and if I wasn't using it, I stuffed it in a light weight backpack. the 40D being so much heavier...I'm not sure that'll work anymore. How do you guys carry the 40D when you're not taking photos in the park (ie, when you're on splash mountain or Space or any other place you really ought not have the camera in your hands.)

I also thought about getting a sling type bag but...not sold on those yet either....

I have a 30D and like many people mentioned in another thread, the camera is in my hands all day long at the parks. For rides where it may get wet I also carry an ultra-light dry bag (see your local camping store) to put the camera and camera bag in.

For all other rides it stays in my hand and has never been a problem (except Soarin', where they usually insist the camera go in the underseat compartment) and then I hold onto the strap anyway.

For lenses and other stuff I carry a Crumpler $4M bag.

I love my Lowepro Singshot 200 - comes with a waterproof cover, has plenty of room the main compartment for your camera and a few lenses. It has a fairly large size compartment on top that I carry personal items in and a small compartment on the front that is great for batteries, filters, memory cards.

I love my Lowepro Singshot 200 - comes with a waterproof cover, has plenty of room the main compartment for your camera and a few lenses. It has a fairly large size compartment on top that I carry personal items in and a small compartment on the front that is great for batteries, filters, memory cards.

Jen,

Does this fit the 30D with the big white lens attached? Does it fit the big white lens at all? I have been looking around and like these bags but might like the actual backpack style better. Not sure...

Jen,

Does this fit the 30D with the big white lens attached? Does it fit the big white lens at all? I have been looking around and like these bags but might like the actual backpack style better. Not sure...

It is really tight Andy. We went to the Ft. Worth zoo today and I took along the slingshot 200. I had my 30D the 28-135 IS and the 70-200L. I did NOT have the 70-200 attached to the camera - instead it was in the carrying bag that came with the lens - inside the camera bag. Then when we go there and I was getting my camera out I quickly switched the 28-135 with the 70-200.

For me it isn't that big of a deal that it won't really fit well attached to the camera. I like the bag so much - it is really easy for me to carry. I can fit other things in it and the waterproof cover is VERY important to me.

You *MAY* be able to arrange the velcro dividers to fit the camera with the L lens attached - I just haven't tried yet.

I have the 30D - 70 -200 + 18 - 55 - battery grip and it all fit in my Tamrac Adventure 9 backpack and it was carry on.

I have the Loewpro Mini Trekker and it will carry my 40D with the 28-135 lens attached; the XTi with the 18-85 lens; room for the 50mm and 70-300, plus the speedlight. I have taken it as carry on several times, however, only one camera in the bag when I was flying - not sure if the second body would push it over the weight limit for carry on.

It's been a while since I was on the board. Since I was here last, I made it to all the Disney parks in Asia and hope to be visiting the other parks (except Paris) by September (which would make 5 parks in 1 year!)

I hope you start frequenting the photography board again so we can see some of your pictures from all those parks. I can't wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter