• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

I would also check with Ritz camera if you have one in your area. My dh was able to get the XTi body, the 18-55 mm IS lens and the 75-300 III lens for under $800 and they threw in a $50 gift card as well. When he went to Costco to compare, the sales rep at Costco told him he had gotten a good deal! Good luck!

wow, okay! Thanks for all the responses :) I don't really have a budget per se, my husband just doesn't want me to get out of control LOL!

Shhh.... :ssst: You must be new to the photo board as you must NEVER say that you have no budget. Never. These people will have your money spent in so many ways, it'll make your head spin! Before you know it, pixiedust: , it's all gone and you aren't close to being done shopping!

:rotfl2:

I'm just kidding of course. Glad you are making the jump to DSLR. For what it's worth, I have the Canon 17-85mm IS lens (at least that's what I think it is) and I really enjoy it. Not a fast lens like f2.8, but a good all around lens. I use it as my walk around lens. It performs well for me.

I just got a new Rebel Xti from Santa.
I got the Costco bundle...sounds similar to the Sam's version but the IS lens. I thinks I'll look into the nifty fifty before my trip in Feb...I've only had a couple hours to play with it this afternoon as I had to work yesterday and attend a funeral today....but it seems like a really nice camera...from my VERY limited knowledge. I had a Rebel SLR a few years ago (nondigital) and it was stolen at AKL...after much haggling they gave us $$ to replace it, but I never did....I am glad I waited for the digital prices to come down. I am really looking forward to being able to see my pics right away and pick out just the ones I want to print....I used to spend sssooooo much on prints and only kept 1 or 2 out of 20.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it :)

Now I just have to figure out which lenses to get! :) This is all so exciting and overwhelming at the same time!

I have one question for you. Have you gone out to look at the cameras and lenses in person yet? If not, that should be your next step. When I was ready to go to a DSLR, I was set on the XT and even had my next few lenses planned out. Then I went out and handled it and thought it felt very awkward in my hands, a little on the small side, and seemed too fragile. As the 30D was out of my price range, I ended up with something else. Basically, I am saying that I would not have been happy in the long run if I had bought blindly.

Kevin

I got the xti in june with the kit lens, and used that for a while to get used to the camera, and try to figure out what else I wanted in a lens.

I wanted a longer zoom, but didn't want to have to change lenses all the time, so in sept I got the 28-135 IS lens which I loved my nephews football games, and any outdoor activities. It is nice to have the longer zoom. I change back to the kit lens for birthday parties inside and house parties because the 28 is not wide enough to get group indoor photos. I also got the nifty fifty because the price was so good, and have used it at night, and inside taking pics of my son. I think as I progress in my photography, I will use that more.

I think if I knew then what I have learned in the past 6 months, I would have bought something more like the 17-85 lens. That sounds like it would fit me better as a walkaround lens, but I don't know the price.

Whatever you decide, have fun!!!!

What?! Someone has no budget?
WooHoooooooo!!! We're goin' shopping for L series! ;)

DW wants an IS lens and I think I have her talked out of the 24-105 (whew). Canon's 17-85 does not get good test results but users seem to rate it highly. Have you seen any CA issues with it?

Shhh.... :ssst: You must be new to the photo board as you must NEVER say that you have no budget. Never. These people will have your money spent in so many ways, it'll make your head spin! Before you know it, pixiedust: , it's all gone and you aren't close to being done shopping!

:rotfl2:

I'm just kidding of course. Glad you are making the jump to DSLR. For what it's worth, I have the Canon 17-85mm IS lens (at least that's what I think it is) and I really enjoy it. Not a fast lens like f2.8, but a good all around lens. I use it as my walk around lens. It performs well for me.

I have gone to our local camera store and played with both the XTi and the d40, I was set on getting a nikon, but after playing with the Rebel, both my husband and I really like it. Its such a huge decision it seems like and I think that is why I'm having such a tough time with it! LOL!

Thank you for all the lense suggestions :) There is a Ritz camera about an hour from me that I think we are going to try to go to this weekend, my local camera shop was soooooo biased and I couldn't get any like set answers about the Nikons. They just kept saying canons were better. I know everyone is going to have their own opinions, I just wanted answers about both, kwim?

Anyways, I really appreciate all the input you guys have given me! :) Hopefully before too long I will be here learning and posting some pictures! We have a big Disneyland trip coming up the beginning of February and I have to have my camera before then! :)

I have gone to our local camera store and played with both the XTi and the d40, I was set on getting a nikon, but after playing with the Rebel, both my husband and I really like it. Its such a huge decision it seems like and I think that is why I'm having such a tough time with it! LOL!

Thank you for all the lense suggestions :) There is a Ritz camera about an hour from me that I think we are going to try to go to this weekend, my local camera shop was soooooo biased and I couldn't get any like set answers about the Nikons. They just kept saying canons were better. I know everyone is going to have their own opinions, I just wanted answers about both, kwim?

Anyways, I really appreciate all the input you guys have given me! :) Hopefully before too long I will be here learning and posting some pictures! We have a big Disneyland trip coming up the beginning of February and I have to have my camera before then! :)

I find my local Ritz stores (there are 3 that I have been to) to be extremely Nikon biased, so if you want to get your hands on some Nikon's, that is the place to go. They have very little Canon stuff in the ones near me for some reason. They did carry the XTi though, so you should be able to compare any Nikon to the XTi.

What?! Someone has no budget?
WooHoooooooo!!! We're goin' shopping for L series! ;)

DW wants an IS lens and I think I have her talked out of the 24-105 (whew). Canon's 17-85 does not get good test results but users seem to rate it highly. Have you seen any CA issues with it?

Bob,

I can't say that I have ever noticed any CA, but then again, I can't say that I know CA to be anything but the purple edges that are created sometimes. Is that what you mean? I haven't noticed it, but if you can give me a good example of what to shoot and how to shoot it, I can try to see if it will do it or not. Would this only be on the wider angle side?

So, I guess my answer is, no. Not to my knowledge. However, my knowledge is limited.
:confused3

I'm in the market for a DSLR in the very near future and I'm counting on all those DIS'ers with more experience to give me advice ! I am a photography enthusiast - I enjoy seeing what I can get from the camera as in I don't really use post processing much. I will never be a pro and I don't need a professional camera. I want something that won't break my budget, that is solid and reliable and something that will help me make the most of my hobby. Anybody out there that can give me a hand ?

Both cameras are great entry level DSLR's. I'm a Nikon guy, so I may be biased. Keep in mind however, that the D40 has no focus motor in the body, so autofocus lenses that rely on a body based focus motor will not autofocus on this camera. That being said, the range of lenses available continues to expand (Sigma just announced a new 18-200 with an internal focus motor designed with the D40 in mind), and considering your intentions this will probably not be much of a limitation to you at all.

At the risk of muddying the waters here, you may also wish to consider Pentax, which also has a very good entry level camera.

Good luck

I think any of the ones mentioned above will meet your needs; now, go to one of the local camera/box stores and see which one "feels" right in your hands. Thats the one or you! Good Luck! (BTW, I have a Nikon D50 and absolutely love it!)

I'm in the market for a DSLR in the very near future and I'm counting on all those DIS'ers with more experience to give me advice ! I am a photography enthusiast - I enjoy seeing what I can get from the camera as in I don't really use post processing much. I will never be a pro and I don't need a professional camera. I want something that won't break my budget, that is solid and reliable and something that will help me make the most of my hobby. Anybody out there that can give me a hand ?

I don't exactly find the XTi to be overly solid feeling to me. I use the 30D, and to me, that is solid. The XTi feels real plasticy to me. Not sure about the Nikon D40 but the focus motor issue would keep me from that as well. I think I remember the Pentax to feel more solid.

Don't get me wrong, the XTi is a great camera, but if you want a "solid" camera, I am not too sure that this is the one for you. Go to your local store and check them out real well. I am assuming that you are seeing these cameras at Target, Staples, etc. as those two seem to be the only DSLR cameras that are sold at those stores.

the xti is a fantastic camera to learn or begin on. And you won't encounter the same lens and focusing issues you have with the nikon.

I would move up to the Canon 30D and get a few good lenses - my starter kit is the Canon 30D, 70 - 200 EF IS USM (2.8) L Lense (my favorite lense to use) + 24 - 70 EF L USM (2.8)- my walk around lense. For fun shots add the Fisheye EF 15mm - an extender for the 70 -200 + a speedlite 580EXII. That is what I am using to learn the hobby. I use the battery grip to make the camera offset the lense weight.

I may upgrade in a few years.

Thanks for all your help, Dis'ers ! I'm headed out to the local camera store tomorrow. I haven't made my decision yet, but I'll do as a couple of you suggested and see what feels better in my hands. Wish me luck !

I would move up to the Canon 30D and get a few good lenses - my starter kit is the Canon 30D, 70 - 200 EF IS USM (2.8) L Lense (my favorite lense to use) + 24 - 70 EF L USM (2.8)- my walk around lense. For fun shots add the Fisheye EF 15mm - an extender for the 70 -200 + a speedlite 580EXII. That is what I am using to learn the hobby. I use the battery grip to make the camera offset the lense weight.

I may upgrade in a few years.

That is about $5K you just suggested, when the OP was asking about a $500 camera. While I agree with you that those are nice cameras, and great glass, perhaps it would be best to stick in the range and request for information asked for. Not everyone has that kind of money to drop on a camera out of the gate, nor does everyone want to carry that much gear around with them.

To the OP. All of the entry level cameras will give you good pictures, as already suggested, take a look at the XTi, the D40, and the Pentax K100, and possibly the Sony A100, go play with them and see which one feels better for you. Keep in mind you are buying into a system as well, as you get more lenses and accesories, it gets harder and harder to switch brands.

That is about $5K you just suggested, when the OP was asking about a $500 camera. While I agree with you that those are nice cameras, and great glass, perhaps it would be best to stick in the range and request for information asked for. Not everyone has that kind of money to drop on a camera out of the gate, nor does everyone want to carry that much gear around with them.

To the OP. All of the entry level cameras will give you good pictures, as already suggested, take a look at the XTi, the D40, and the Pentax K100, and possibly the Sony A100, go play with them and see which one feels better for you. Keep in mind you are buying into a system as well, as you get more lenses and accesories, it gets harder and harder to switch brands.

I missed the $500 part of his question. In the case of $500 I would lean towards a point and shoot.

It does lead toward a topic regarding glass - which is well taken. Once you make that commitment you are commiting towards the brand. Also you are correct about what to carry around - I do not carry all of my glass around any longer. I try to decide what I need before the day starts - except for when I shoot sports. Then I do carry everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter