Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

Ok, so here is the newest twist in my ever confusing saga of trying to figure out which camera to purchase. I contacted Sigma and found out that neither my 75-300 nor my 90mm macro will work with the XTi (or digital rebels in general). They suggested that I look into their "trade in" policy where you get a discount on lenses when you trade in older ones. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Sounds a little like a bad deal to me, depending on the discount (which he said depended on the lens I want in return and the lens that I trade in, etc). On one hand, I have a fully functional Rebel film camera with a few nice lenses that I would like to keep but the reality is that it will most likely never ever be used again. :confused: Do camera stores (Ritz, etc.) give good trade in prices? I would rather trade the whole camera and lenses and be done with it. I do not want to deal with ebay because I don't want the hassle of haveing someone not like the quality of the camera or something like that.

I am begining to hate all of this shopping around.

Andy

i had at one time considered selling my 28-135 lens to KEH. they were going to give me about $100 less than they were selling for used(which was about $150 less than i bought it new for about 6 months before, that was when it was working but not sharp as i thought it should be.) they rated it as good ( or maybe one better, can't remember but it was 2 down from their best rating) when in reality it looked like new, don't know if they compare sharpness etc, the only thing they said was wrong with it was some (normal) dust inside) i put it on craigslist and didn't get one offer..i did get an offer on a promaster older 100-300 lens though( i was going to sell it for under $100). like a dummy though i hadn't read their site and what they considered what as to ratings and told them at first something lower than i should have and i thing shot myself in the foot that way.

the woman i was dealing with at KEH told me my best bet would be sell it out right myself. I doubt any reseller ( ie a camera store) would give you much of a better deal. Keh also will give you a discount though on something you buy from them if you sell through them( think it was 10%, not a bunch). they were nice to deal with , seemed fair as far as resellers go, but at the time i couldn't really decide what i wanted to do.( now of course am glad i didn't)

you can get an estimate if you go to keh online( or call them)and put in the stuff, being as accurate as you can. they'll tell you an estimate of what they think it might be worth then at least you know . after they looked at mine they were going to give me the same amount they told me. also check some prices on b&h used and see if anyone is selling your old stuff and for what. ( or check ebay for prices although they seem to be inflated a lot to me)

Ok, so here is the newest twist in my ever confusing saga of trying to figure out which camera to purchase. I contacted Sigma and found out that neither my 75-300 nor my 90mm macro will work with the XTi (or digital rebels in general). They suggested that I look into their "trade in" policy where you get a discount on lenses when you trade in older ones. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Sounds a little like a bad deal to me, depending on the discount (which he said depended on the lens I want in return and the lens that I trade in, etc). On one hand, I have a fully functional Rebel film camera with a few nice lenses that I would like to keep but the reality is that it will most likely never ever be used again. :confused: Do camera stores (Ritz, etc.) give good trade in prices? I would rather trade the whole camera and lenses and be done with it. I do not want to deal with ebay because I don't want the hassle of haveing someone not like the quality of the camera or something like that.

I am begining to hate all of this shopping around.

Andy

Not to add to your confusion, but without a set of lenses to use, I suggest you go back to the start and consider everything in your price range again from all brands.

Kevin

i had at one time considered selling my 28-135 lens to KEH. they were going to give me about $100 less than they were selling for used(which was about $150 less than i bought it new for about 6 months before, that was when it was working but not sharp as i thought it should be.) they rated it as good ( or maybe one better, can't remember but it was 2 down from their best rating) when in reality it looked like new, don't know if they compare sharpness etc, the only thing they said was wrong with it was some (normal) dust inside) i put it on craigslist and didn't get one offer..i did get an offer on a promaster older 100-300 lens though( i was going to sell it for under $100). like a dummy though i hadn't read their site and what they considered what as to ratings and told them at first something lower than i should have and i thing shot myself in the foot that way.

the woman i was dealing with at KEH told me my best bet would be sell it out right myself. I doubt any reseller ( ie a camera store) would give you much of a better deal. Keh also will give you a discount though on something you buy from them if you sell through them( think it was 10%, not a bunch). they were nice to deal with , seemed fair as far as resellers go, but at the time i couldn't really decide what i wanted to do.( now of course am glad i didn't)

you can get an estimate if you go to keh online( or call them)and put in the stuff, being as accurate as you can. they'll tell you an estimate of what they think it might be worth then at least you know . after they looked at mine they were going to give me the same amount they told me. also check some prices on b&h used and see if anyone is selling your old stuff and for what. ( or check ebay for prices although they seem to be inflated a lot to me)

Jan,

KEH's website couldn't even give me a price (my equipment didn't even show up on the drop down lists) so I think I will basically bring them into a Ritz and see if they can get rid of them for me. Ebay prices (if the items even sold) are pitifully low. At this point, I am discouraged enough to dump them cheap and get some accessories or something for my future camera when I decide what that is.

Andy

Not to add to your confusion, but without a set of lenses to use, I suggest you go back to the start and consider everything in your price range again from all brands.

Kevin

Kevin,

I have been doing just that all day. I didn't want to, but I may as well check them all out now. I'm not sure what kind of bang for my buck I am looking for at this point after todays news. I would probably want to stick with Canon or maybe Nikon, although I really like the idea of an IS system in the body of the Pentax. I haven't bothered looking at the prices of lenses for the Nikon's and Pentax's. The D80 body seems to have the same benefit of the XTi but comes with a better kit lens and is about $350-$400 more than the XTi. Almost doesn't seem worth it. I know I can get a great price on the Pentax, but I know absolutely nothing about them as of yet other than the IS thing.

Like I said before, I hate all the shopping around. I know that in the end though, I will get the camera that is right for me this way. At least I have time on my side as I haven't saved enough money to buy much at this point anyways.

Andy

Kevin,

I have been doing just that all day. I didn't want to, but I may as well check them all out now. I'm not sure what kind of bang for my buck I am looking for at this point after todays news. I would probably want to stick with Canon or maybe Nikon, although I really like the idea of an IS system in the body of the Pentax. I haven't bothered looking at the prices of lenses for the Nikon's and Pentax's. The D80 body seems to have the same benefit of the XTi but comes with a better kit lens and is about $350-$400 more than the XTi. Almost doesn't seem worth it. I know I can get a great price on the Pentax, but I know absolutely nothing about them as of yet other than the IS thing.

Like I said before, I hate all the shopping around. I know that in the end though, I will get the camera that is right for me this way. At least I have time on my side as I haven't saved enough money to buy much at this point anyways.

Andy

I have found the reviews at http://www.dcresource.com/ the most useful lately. DPReview are still good, but I do not feel like I can honestly compare his opinion to one camera on the same level as another he did. You almost need to read them as a review of the ins and outs of a particular model and ignore what he says about comparisons.

As for Pentax, check out the K100D, K10D, DA 18-55mm, DA 50-200mm, and FA 50mm f/1.4 for starters. You can find reviews of many lenses at http://photozone.de/. I also would not count Sony out. The prices on it have come down lately and like Pentax, there are many used lens deals still around. The more popular they become, the less used deals that are around though. While not as available in the US as other countries, the Samsung DSLRs are basically a Pentax with different firmware, so do not count them out either. I would not recommend a 4/3 based system, like Olympus, due to the less flexible DOF, the 4x3 image ratio, and the typically higher noise.

Kevin

I am planning on buying a dslr in August- pretty convinced it will be the Rebel since I used a film rebel in the past. I moved onto the S2IS, but it doesn't ***pare to the slr, so it is time to move to a dslr!!! My 11 year old son is now showing an interest in photography, so I thought if I went with the Rebel dslr we could share lenses- is this correct? Having said that, I am really looking to buy a set up that will allow me to capture sports shots better than I did with the film rebel (have not played with other lenses in the past). I would appreciate any help/suggestions you have. I am planning on spending about $1500 total if that helps.

What sports are you planning on shooting.

I have a 70-200f/2.8L That I use for most of my sports pictures, I also have the 1.4x extender that gives me a 98-280 f/4 equivalent. This combo allows me to shoot in pretty low light conditions still keeping the sutter speed up enough to stop motion.

I will be shooting football, basketball and dance. I have taken some pretty good indoor shots of all 3 with the S2IS, but still does not compare to the slr shots from film!

I have a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200f/2.8L That I use for shooting DD's gymnastics pictures. These allow me to shoot in pretty low light conditions without flash and still keep the sutter speed up enough to stop motion.
IMG_2780.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

bumping for another user. No new questions as of yet. Although I did get to play around with a 5D this weekend. I must admit, I liked it. It was a big, big camera though.

Andy

Ok, I'll go second! These shots were taken last weekend. Unfortunately, I was playing with my speedlight and was way off, so they have been tweaked quite a bit in photoshop.

This is Jack, 5 months old, admiring himself in the mirror

Jack04.jpg

Jack37.jpg

And big sister Katie...

Katie06.jpg

Katie24.jpg

Jane

What beautiful pictures of your kids Jane. I love the flower pic Suzann. I've only had my xti for about 6 weeks, but am loving it. I usually use the auto modes, and have just the kit lens to start with, but have been pretty happy with it. It's my first dslr and I have a ton to learn. Here's a few I took today.
IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

I jsut cropped the flower pics and resized them all, since that's about all I know how to do.:)

Haha, thanks! You should have seen me walking down the beach and running back to take the picture before the waves came. I'm sure plenty of people thought there was something wrong with me!

I say an XT counts too :goodvibes

I have similar pictures on the beach, trying to get the footprints before the waves... people must think we're weird LOL!

Lizziejane, loves those pics!!!

Unfortunately, haven't made it to Disney with my XTi, but maybe next year...
So for now, a few pictures from my (and Lizziejane's) neck of the woods. Some I've posted in other threads, some not.

A rose in our garden
MordenRose.jpg

An crab-apple blossom
AppleBlossom.jpg

A poppy at a local park
EnglishGardens06.jpg

A reflecting pond at the same park
EnglishGardens02.jpg

A "cottage" from the same park
EnglishGardens04.jpg

My daughter on a swing (B&W in Paintshop Photo Profeesional XI)
Swingers0001.jpg

My son being his normal serious self
Sam.jpg

Enjoy your new camera Suzann!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter