Candy for CMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TXDCLfan said:
Exactly All the crew members get to get off the ship in port every so often and can go buy their own candy and everything else they need/want. The bottom line is "cash is king":thumbsup2

I have a friend that has worked on the Magic for almost 12 years now and I always offer to bring him anything he may need, only time he requested something ...it was a lap top computer. He did not have the time and resources to research were to get the best deal so I used my employee discount to hook him up.:thumbsup2

On our Fantasy cruise this past Dec., DH got off the ship in Costa Maya & Cozumel to use the Internet while I stayed on the ship with DD on the pool deck. In Cozumel, he went to Starbucks, bought a cup of coffee (at the bottom of the receipt is a code to use their WiFi) & he said Starbucks was *packed* with DCL crew. He said it was like wall-to-wall crew (Princess Tiana sat next to him!). Our server told us about how much he enjoys the San Juan calls on the Fantasy because there is an outlet mall there & he loves to go there and shop for stuff 70% off. They definitely get off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I really don't understand why people think CMs are locked away below decks being fed nothing but gruel. Yes, their contracts are long and they work incredibly hard. But, they do get to leave the ship, see sunshine, and buy their own personal items. Of course they act so appreciative to receive your stuff. That's their job.

It reminds me of the DISer who invited her stateroom attendant to look out her balcony. She acted as if she did him the biggest favor on earth.

You want to give candy? Fine. But own up to the fact that you are doing it to make yourself happy.

I was on the Fantasy last week and the lady that invited her room steward to the balcony actually came to mind. All of the room stewards go out on everybody's balcony twice a day while they are in you rooms!!!! They can enjoy it, you don't have to invite them to do it while they are trying to get their work done. They will accept the invite, to make you feel good, but you are actually just delaying them.
One thing that your room steward would appreciate though, ask her/him which port if any they are getting off the ship at. Tell him/her they can skip your room that morning. I know our room steward seemed overly happy with this. She had the opportunity to get off in St Thomas, she said they usually get to every other week it something like that. But she only got to get off if she was done about an hour earlier than every other day. I told her she could skip our room that morning. Seriously, I can make a bed!!
Just something to think about!! Also, now that I have been, I really don't think they are as happy about the candy as we think they are. I think like PP said, they act happy to make us happy because its their job!!

I really don't understand why people think CMs are locked away below decks being fed nothing but gruel. Yes, their contracts are long and they work incredibly hard. But, they do get to leave the ship, see sunshine, and buy their own personal items. Of course they act so appreciative to receive your stuff. That's their job.

It reminds me of the DISer who invited her stateroom attendant to look out her balcony. She acted as if she did him the biggest favor on earth.

You want to give candy? Fine. But own up to the fact that you are doing it to make yourself happy.

:thumbsup2

We were informed, that the staff has very few days off and rarely time to go ashore. Also, they work all day long...and hard. Remember, not all positions can received cash/tips. So, I think treats are a kinds gesture. :goodvibes

Wha ha ha ha ha who told you that?
Most of the crew goes ashore as soon as there off duty and they have a blast:lmao:
They work all day but not five days without free time.
I always enjoy the pictures of my friend when he and his mates are ashore and believe me they know more about "the good life "than the guests. And no they will not tell you were they hang out because they are on "time without passengers",let alone passengers that handout warm melted candy.
The staff has plenty of free time every trip. They are not slaves that have to work 24 hours a day.

I did sent that link post to my friend on board. I will not tell you what his and his friends answer to this was. :lmao:

Most of the crew goes ashore as soon as there off duty and they have a blast:lmao:
I always enjoy the pictures of my friend when he and his mates are ashore and believe me they know more about "the good life "than the guests. And no they will not tell you were they hang out because they are on "time without passengers",let alone passengers that handout warm melted candy.
The staff has plenty of free time every trip. They are not slaves that have to work 24 hours a day.

On our last cruise (not DCL), our server told us how he was able to take leftover back to his cabin, and that he snacked on lobster and pâté the night before. He also told us about how he got off the ship in Cozumel, how he wired money home and went shopping, and about his lunch shore.

On another cruise, staff told us about how they went ashore and played soccer.

Kaspar Houser said:
Of course they do. The time that "Uncle Tom" has to obey his master and slave all day has long gone:rotfl:

We are not cruise people but we had the chance to
visit our friend and get a "behind the scenes tour" when the ship was in port.
O the horror. He showed us the whole ship and of course the cabins and yes we stepped out on one of the balconies. :lmao:

And just to be clear. EVERY CM ,also the non tipping positions, are allowed to accept cash. He or she just has to tell his supervisor.
So instead of a melted candy bar give a few Dollars to those you think deserve it.

I was told on our first cruise that by a crew member from the kids club. They could
Not accept my tip, if I insisted they would take it but it gets pooled into a "fund" for all the crew members in the kids club... Where the sup would use the money to buy snacks and etc for everyone to enjoy.....

I might not do the candy because it takes up so much space and can get heavy but I liked the I'd of calling cards or Internet cards or hey if they like star bucks that much a star bucks card.

That is a great idea about asking your cabin guy/gal which port they are getting off... And letting them skip your room.... (As long as they make a towel animal) jk...

Bottom line in my opinion is ANY gesture is appreciated it may or may not be an item they wanted but they know you are doing it because you appreciate what they have done. It's not what you give them its the message you are wanting to send them.

Mmmmmm warm pocket candy. ;) Now with that aside...

I show my appreciation with good tips for the tipped positions and for all crew members who made my cruise special I am sure to get their names so I can write about them in the survey at the end of our cruise. There is nothing better that you can do than giving them kudos in that survey. Many long lasting careers with upward mobility have been made because of Guest comments.

Wow! This thread did take an ugly turn...call it a discussion if you want, but the last few posts making snide comments about giving CMs "melted candy bars" WERE made with a derogatory tone, as well as the posters who keep insisting that giving people an unexpected treat of candy is somehow selfish because the "payback" is that the giver is made to feel good about themselves.

I live 2 minutes from Walmart, Target, Walgreens, a mall and most any other store you'd want to go to. I have access and the financial ability to go and buy myself any treat I want. HOWEVER, if someone brings me a Hershey bar or puts a Diet Coke in my mailbox at school just to say "Thank you" or "Thinking of you" do I say, "I didn't need you to buy me this...I can buy my own"? Do I think "I bet they only did that to feel good about themselves"?... NO....I say thank you and it really does make my day that someone took the time to give me an unexpected treat.

I say lighten up...I'm just glad there are people in the world who want to go around giving out treats to people instead of giving out negativity and complaints. I'll take a Snickers please.... ;)

Lori P. :)

Wow! This thread did take an ugly turn...call it a discussion if you want, but the last few posts making snide comments about giving CMs "melted candy bars" WERE made with a derogatory tone, as well as the posters who keep insisting that giving people an unexpected treat of candy is somehow selfish because the "payback" is that the giver is made to feel good about themselves.

I live 2 minutes from Walmart, Target, Walgreens, a mall and most any other store you'd want to go to. I have access and the financial ability to go and buy myself any treat I want. HOWEVER, if someone brings me a Hershey bar or puts a Diet Coke in my mailbox at school just to say "Thank you" or "Thinking of you" do I say, "I didn't need you to buy me this...I can buy my own"? Do I think "I bet they only did that to feel good about themselves"?... NO....I say thank you and it really does make my day that someone took the time to give me an unexpected treat.

I say lighten up...I'm just glad there are people in the world who want to go around giving out treats to people instead of giving out negativity and complaints. I'll take a Snickers please.... ;)

Really? You just take candy from random strangers?
Did it ever occur to you that this gift could be a bribe? Maybe worse the "gift" was pucked on or exposed to things I can not even write down here?

+1

The only negative thing one can do is nothing in return for exemplary service.

These people work hard, there is no point arguing what is in a CM's head as to what they would like to be tipped. Tip money, candy, gifts, whatever.
They aren't expecting anything back in the first place.

Even respecting, talking, and being genuinely interested in them as a person goes a long way.

Did it ever occur to you that this gift could be a bribe? Maybe worse the "gift" was pucked on or exposed to things I can not even write down here?

Lol...well, since we were referring to giving people an extra thank you gift on their jobs, I was actually thinking about at work, which is why I put "at school" (I'm a teacher) in my post.

So yes, if I'm working and someone (random or not) hands me a wrapped piece of candy and says "Thanks for your hard work...we appreciate all you do", I sure will accept it and be glad there are people like that in the world. If there is any reason to think that it has been tampered with (although I don't usually subscribe to conspiracy theories), I would not eat it. That would just be silly.

Um, Halloween?

And that's why you give at the end, no bribery insinuations.

OK, thanks to everyone for all the thoughts. It's been insightful in many, many different ways.

I've got what I asked for, so how about we let the topic drop before people start getting hot under the collar. We're allowed to have differing opinions.

Have fun, and be kind! :hippie:

Richard

Our first 2 cruises we brought girl scout cookies with us. We gave the cookies out to our stateroom hostess, our serving crew, the bingo helpers that helped my disabled DH with all his bingo bots (he played a lot :rotfl2:) and DD found a couple of cast members that treated her like a princess.

All tipped positions were overtipped in cash and then given a box of cookies on top of it. Our one assistant server came up to us at breakfast the last morning and said he ate his whole box with a cup of tea and he really appreciated it. :thumbsup2 The non-tipped people were just happy that someone thought of them. Did they share them or give them away, very possibly.

That being said, the next 5 cruises I forgot to bring the cookies and the cruises were just fine.

On our one set of cruises we did a B2B. The dining servers brought us coconut shrimp as a treat. We had 2 full plates of it for 5 people. We asked for a lid for the second plate and they let us take it back to our stateroom. We decided before we even hit the room that we weren't going to eat it. So I asked our host if he wanted it. He tried to decline it gently so I asked him if he could put plate in with all the other room service plates because we weren't going to eat it. His eyes widen and he said "REALLY?". He took the plate and thanked us profusely the next day. He said he enjoyed it with his co-workers after they were done. So 2 nights later when we got more shrimp (serving crew really liked us by that point), all I did was lift the lid and he took the plate right out of my hands with a big smile!! I know it was definitely better than cookies!! :thumbsup2

Are you not a part of the problem when you only point out the "negative" posts that are opposite of your feelings, but not those on your side of the "debate"?Tone is about how you read it because text has no inflection, volume, or physical component to it. I choose to take all the points that I mentioned before and not let it bother me. Lastly, if one wants to give candy to spread joy and make someone feel good, why doesn't that mentality apply on here?

Are you not a part of the problem when you only point out the "negative" posts that are opposite of your feelings, but not those on your side of the "debate"?Tone is about how you read it because text has no inflection, volume, or physical component to it. I choose to take all the points that I mentioned before and not let it bother me. Lastly, if one wants to give candy to spread joy and make someone feel good, why doesn't that mentality apply on here?
:rotfl2:

Plenty of free time? Our server in October said that he gets off 2 (8 hour shifts) a weeks. His day starts before breakfast and ends following the late dinner. I know that some people in shows get more time off, because I saw several relaxing on the ship. But not everybody has that freedom.

I think the Girl Scout cookies for cast members are a great idea since everyone loves Girl Scout cookies and that's actually something the cast members might have a hard time finding and buying during their breaks off the ship.

A friend of mine has a brother who works on the Dream and I've seen picture of his cabin. Based on the huge amount of snacks and candy he had in there either he has time to go buy the stuff he wants or a LOT of people are passing out candy and snack. (I'm not putting down anyone who gives out candy. To each his own. I'm sure the gesture is always appreciated.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter