• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Candy Cane Inn walking distance?

Gdes1

Mouseketeer
Hello,
New to this section of DIS boards and planning a trip to DLR for myself, DH and our DS for his 5th birthday! After almost fainting at the price for the Grand Cal, we are thinking about Candy Cane Inn. It seems a bit nicer than the motels directly across from the walking entrance.

I am hoping it's just a few more minutes walk than, say, BW Park Place. We are two adults perfectly able to walk quickly and will most likely be pushing an older child in a cheap stroller! Any idea how long the walk will be?

I know they have a shuttle, but sometimes it's a pain to wait for those. We intend to leave the parks in the afternoon to come back to our room for a rest and then return in the evening. So, we'd probably take the shuttle when convenient and walk otherwise.

Is the walk about 10 minutes, or more?

It is about 10 minutes - we are also adults perfectly capable to walk the distance and thought we would never use the free shuttle last time. However we did - nearly every time - the shuttle is reliable and every half an hour. We will be there again in just over a month.

I'd guess around 7-8 minutes, although it would depend on your location on site. It make take a bit longer if you're pushing a stroller.

I've walked from the Hilton or Courtyard several times, and that walk always goes in front of CCI. It's an easy walk.

OK, thank you. I intend to use the shuttle as much as possible. I am mostly thinking of situations where DS really needs to get back for a rest and we just miss a shuttle, or there is a huge line. 10 minutes is really not bad at all!

OK, thank you. I intend to use the shuttle as much as possible. I am mostly thinking of situations where DS really needs to get back for a rest and we just miss a shuttle, or there is a huge line. 10 minutes is really not bad at all!
My kids have never had an issue with a long line for the shuttle. If you get out to the shuttle area at 125p, you know the shuttle isn't going to be leaving to go back for 20 mins. The walk will only be 10-12 mins for slower walkers. It is also a peaceful walk in the shade.

CCI is one of our favorite places to stay.

The shuttle stop on the DL resort propery services at least two other hotels so it may look crowded. I find the other hotels pick up before the CCI shuttle gets there. I don't think we have ever had a problem not getting on a shuttle, though the end of the night runs can be packed.

We've stayed there several times and it's definitely nicer than many of the Harbor Blvd motels.

We walk fast and it's just under 10 minutes to the esplanade. We do take the shuttle if it's there or if it would save time or be a wash in terms of timing.

With it's location, it can be fun to walk around the back side of DCA over to PPH or Disneyland Hotel (to go to Trader Sam's for example).

Easy walk- turn left at the property driveway, walk a few minutes,turn left into DL. Straight shot on the sidewalk. I took the shuttle most of the time though; drivers were nice, never waited very long and no trouble finding a seat.

Easy quick walk. I never use the shuttle as I don't like to wait and it is just as quick to walk. < 10 minutes

This is what we do:

In the morning we walk to DLR because we don't want to wait for the shuttle's time. We just want to go.

In the afternoon we walk back to CCI because it just works out that it isn't time for the shuttle to come and we may as well just get back.

After our nap we time it to get down to take the shuttle from CCI back to DLR.

In the evening we just walk back, again, because we don't want to wait for the shuttle.

The shuttle is handy when you have a large package to carry. One time we purchased a large print in DL so we took the shuttle back because it was too big to carry for a long ways.

One time DH times how long it took us to walk to DLR from the driveway of CCI. Two adults, pretty fast walkers. 8 min. in the morning. 12 minutes in the evening! Can you tell we were tired?

If we didn't have the Disney Vacation Club, the Candy Cane Inn would be our 1st choice. The rooms are small and rather sparse, but the entire facility is sparkling clean. And the free breakfast is better than the free Grand Californian breakfast (none).

As for the shuttle, IF you time your day to coincide with the shuttle, then it is just fine. The driver was so darn nice! We tipped him alot!

The beauty of the Candy Cane Inn shuttle is that there is no line, and it is always on time. So if you are thinking of leaving the park, you can modify your schedule to make it work for you.

To me this is one of the best parts of that motel. I can't imagine not using their free shuttle. It makes life so much easier.

It is also air conditioned and the bus drivers are very friendly.

With all that said, it is a perfectly simple walk. It is right on Harbor and just down a few blocks from Disneyland.

I agree the shuttle is awesome- but generally I can't time it right and I'm just too excited and start walking.
The walk is easy. Most people are on the other side of the street, so the sidewalks aren't busy :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter