Candlelight Processional Question

Karnak

DIS Veteran
Many might think it is way too early to be planning to see the Candlelight Processional at Epcot during the holidays, but it would help to know the following well in advance:

1. How far in advance may one make dinner reservations at Epcot for processional seating? I understand that one must pay in advance for the meal; but does the 180 day advance restriction limitation apply?

2. When does Disney usually post a schedule of guest announcers for the processional? And where is this information posted?

Thanks.

I think the 180 day advance still holds true for the CP, but we didn't have to put any money down since we were on the dining plan. As for the performers, I saw this announcement about 2 months out.

Also, if your worried about getting a resturant, we got our reservations about 3 weeks before our trip (early Dec), so I don't think it is too busy to have to worry about booking 180 days out. I guess that depends on 'when' in Dec you are going tho.......

I was wondering this same thing...we are going to do Epcot and the CP on Christmas Eve this year..I'm so excited about this...I'd love to know who will be the speaker but really this is the only day that will fit into our schedule so who ever it is will be great I'm sure.

Dawn

Mouseplanet news archive for Aug 8, 2005, http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=wd050808mg has the details for last year's CP. The narrators did get changed around after the initial announcement. The dinner packages went on sale August 15. That was before they went to the 180 day booking window. You might want to lock in a reservation at your restaurant of choice before they put the packages on sale. I would think that you should be able to link a package to your reservation when they go on sale.

I was wondering also. Also, do they do the Candlelight Processional every night or is it just on certain nights?

Which restaurants provide the Candlelight reserved seating? Need to book the right one, though I realise such things may change year to year!

Maz

Most of the restaurants in Epcot (World Showcase) offer the dinner/CP package. There are three tiers....at three different prices.
There are several shows every night...I always have done the later one, and eaten first. But, there are others who see the early show and eat afterwards.
You can stand in a very long stand-by line, to the right of the theater. The line starts forming about 90 minutes before each show. But, keep in mind, if you have a CP package, you are still going to stand in a line. I have waited for 45 mins before. So, plan to get to that line, to the left of the theater, early. You will need to show your dining pass in order to get in via that line. Just don't want anyone to go thinking that they will be able to eat and then just walk into the theater with no wait.

Candlelight Processional

Perhaps this will answer some questions..

What is the Candlelight Processional?
A Disney tradition now in its 36th year (2006), the Candlelight Processional is a moving presentation of the Christmas story in readings by a celebrity narrator and music by a Mass choir and 50-piece orchestra.

Where and when does it take place?

This event takes place in the America Gardens Theatre in World Showcase in Epcot. It is an outdoor (uncovered, not climate controlled) setting and is not cancelled due to inclement weather. It is recommended you dress accordingly.

It begins late November and runs every evening until December 30. Shows are approximately 40 minutes. Each evening there are three shows -- 5:00 p.m., 6:45 p.m., and 8:15 p.m.

Who are the narrators?

As soon as the 2006 Narrators are announced, they will be listed here!

The 2005 Narrators were: Rita Moreno, Phil Donahue, Haley Joel Osment, Cicely Tyson, Jaci Velasquez, Eartha Kitt, Lou Diamond Phillips, Harry Hamlin, Marlee Matlin, Jim Caviezel, John Stamos, Steven Curtis Chapman.

The 2004 Narrators were: Rita Moreno, Heather Headley, Kirk Franklin, Jim Caviezel, Marlee Matlin/Jack Jason, Joshua Morrow, Eartha Kitt, Steven Curtis Chapman, Edward James Olmos, Gary Sinise, LeVar Burton .

The 2003 Narrators were: Andy Garcia, Ben Vereen, Rita Moreno, Ericka Dunlap, David Ogden Stiers, Steven Curtis Chapman, Edward James Olmos, Sandi Patty, Robby Benson, Gary Sinise

The 2002 Narrators included: Edward James Olmos, John Tesh, Marlee Matlin, James Avery, Yolanda Adams, David Hartman, Collin Raye, Blair Underwood, Gary Sinise, Jodi Benson

The 2001 Narrators included: James Avery, Marlee Matlin (with interpreter), Robby Benson, Wayne Brady, Phylicia Rashad, Story Musgrave, Alfre Woodard, Blair Underwood, Gary Sinise, and LeVar Burton.

The 2000 Narrators included: Jodi Benson, Angela Bassett, John Secada, James Avery, Joe Mantegna, Ben Vereen, Phylicia Rashad, Robby Benson, Leeza Gibbons, Gary Sinise, and LeVar Burton

The 1999 Narrators included: Alfre Woodard, Charles Kimbrough, Angela Bassett, Brian Dennehy, Maria Conchita Alonso, James Avery, Edward James Olmos, James McDaniel, Andy Garcia, Sandi Patty, David Ogden Stiers, and LeVar Burton.

Is there a charge to see the Candlelight Processional?

No, it is included in your admission to Epcot. There is, however, a dinner package available for purchase that includes Reserved General Seating for the Candlelight Processional.

Seating without the dinner package is on a first come, first serve basis for each show. Folks line up an hour (longer as you are closer to Christmas) before show time. 15 minutes prior to the show, seating is then opened up to those on line. Also, keep in mind if you wait in line for the 2nd or 3rd show of the night, that you will be hearing the show before yours as it is performed.

You can always stroll by the America Gardens Theatre in World Showcase to listen to the music and wonders of Christmas.

If you wish to purchase the dinner package (explained below) with reserved seating, there is a charge.

What does the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package include?

The package includes dinner at select Epcot restaurants and reserved general seating at the America Gardens Theatre. 2006 information will be posted as soon as its available.

For 2005 there are three different levels of pricing for the Candlelight Processional Package:

Tier 1
Adults - $30.99 / Child (3-9) - $12.99 (plus tax)
The Garden Grill Restaurant - The Land
Biergarten - Germany

Tier 2
Adults - $38.99 / Child (3-9) - $12.99 (plus tax)
San Angel Inn - Mexico
Restaurant Marrakesh - Morocco
Nine Dragons - China
Rose & Crown Pub and Dining Room - United Kingdom

Tier 3
Adults - $45.99 / Child (3-91) - $12.99 (plus tax)
Chefs de France - France
Coral Reef - Living Seas
L’Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante - Italy
Le Cellier Steakhouse - Canada
Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki Dining Room - Japan

Notes:
Gratuity is included.
Prices do NOT include 6.5% tax.
Dinner packages do NOT include park admission.
Narrators subject to change without notice.
Packages contain dinner vouchers that must be presented at the restaurant prior to seating.
Please arrive at least 30 minutes early to obtain packages at Candlelight Dinner Package Pick Up at the Main Entrance.
Dinner packages do not include lobster entrées.
Dinner packages do not include Park admission.
Non-alcoholic beverage is included.

How do I book the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package?

As soon as the 2006 information is announced it will be posted here.

Tickets for the 2005 Candlelight Processional dinners can be purchased as of August 15, 2005. Call (407) WDW-DINE (939-3463) to make reservations.

Do I still need an Advanced Dining Reservation?

YES! When you call to order your dinner package tickets, you will be asked to select a restaurant and an Advanced Dining Reservation time.

According to WDW Dine: For the 5:00 p.m. show, you should make your dinner pririty seatings for 7:00 p.m. or later; For the 6:45 p.m. show, you should make dinner priority seatings for 4:45 p.m. or 8:45 p.m.; For the 8:15 p.m. show, you should make dinner priority seatings no later than 6:15 p.m.

Be sure to allow sufficient time to dine and get to the back of World Showcase. I recall having a 5:30 p.m. priority seating at Le Cellier for the 8:15 p.m. show. For whatever reason, we weren't seated at Le Cellier until 6:00 p.m. and at 8:05 p.m. had to run (just about) to the American Gardens Theatre to catch the show. The "reserved" seating area had already been opened up to non-package guests.

With the dinner package, do I have a reserved seat for the show?

Not exactly. There is a reserved section for those with the dinner package. The reserved section is front and center, behind any VIP seating. Within the reserved section, seating is on a first come, first serve basis, so if you want your choice of seats, you should arrive 45 minutes early. 15 minutes prior to the show beginning, available seating is opened up to folks without dinner package tickets.

Where do I enter the theater?

If you stand in World Showcase directly in front of the America Gardens Theatre (facing the theatre), the line to the left side is for persons WITH Candlelight Dinner Tickets. The line to the right side is for first-come available seating. Be sure to check upon arrival so you are in the correct line!
Is Sign Language Interpretation Available?

Anyone with questions regarding sign language interpretation information should contact Mark Jones at mark.jones@disney.com. Note that if Marlee Matlin is narrating, she signs the entire show.

Is it worth doing?

If you enjoy the Christmas holidays, I highly recommend the show. I have seen the show the last three years. Last year I purchased the dinner package. The four of us felt it was worth the price; we had a great dinner at Le Cellier.

The first time I saw the show, I stood in line for the first show of the evening. It was still early in the season and a week night, so the crowds were not to bad. I did wait about 30-40 minutes in line.

If you are on a budget, you don't need to purchase the tickets.

If you are already planning to dine at one of the restaurants in the package, take a look at the Menus from around the World and see if the price of a ticket works out better for you.

AllEarsNet.com

Bumping this one back up since there seems to be some interest in the particulars.

So, what's included in the "packages". Is it an appetizer, entree, and dessert?

Yes, you get an appetizer, entree, dessert and drink. The dining plan can be used (1 table service credit). I recommend that if you want to do the candelight this year, that you get on the phone asap and make a dinner package reservation. Some of the restaurants are already sold out. The show is worth it. It is very popular and even people with the package usually have to wait on very long lines for the show. The package just guarantees a seat ahead of those who don't have the package. The tiers don't matter. Seating is first comes, first served. If the weather is bad, I think the show is still on so you'll have to wait in the bad weather. I hope this helps.

Gary Sinise is the celebrity narrator for Christmas Eve. The 2006 Narrators have been announced.

I called last week to book a CP package (We're going Dec 10-15). I had to call five days in a row as every restaurant for every show was booked. I lucked out, as I as on the phone a cancellation came through and I was able to get the package. I'd call as soon as you can!!

I booked mine 180 days out, and still was not able to get the time I wanted for the first show and ended up going to the second. They did take a credit card number to guarantee the reservation even though I told them I was on the dining plan, because if you do not cancel in time (I think it was 48 hours) or do not show up, they charge a fee of like $10 since spaces are limited for this. Same goes for Fantasmic! dinner package at MGM...you can pay for the actual meal with the dining plan, but you do need to guarantee the reservation with a credit card.

I would say as soon as you know you want to go, make the reservation....however, you CAN go without a reservation or dinner package. There is always a standby line but I hear it can be quite a long wait if you want to get in. I figured we were eating dinner anyway, so a package would save us time standing in line :)

Sara

Yeah, guess it is. Didn't notice the date...it was at the top of the list on my page...I never look at the dates. Still all good advice though!

Sara

We've never been at WDW when this was going on, but from what I am reading here, it sounds like you will be waiting in line no matter what -- if dinner is not a big deal to you, is it worth it to get the guaranteed seating, for which you still have to wait quite some time, or is it better to just hop in line an hour ahead of time and bring snacks for the kids?

Any hints on which of the three shows might be the least crowded on a weeknight the week before Thanksgiving?

Thanks for any advice!

Is there a thread anywhere on here that says when everyone is going to the Candlelight Processional? Just for the heck of it, my DBF and I are going to the 6:45 show on Nov. 29th, and eating dinner at Le Cellier at 4:10- if you can really call that dinnertime, haha :goodvibes

Not sure if there is another thread or not but we're going Monday, Dec. 4...Teppanyaki at 4, CP at 6:45 :) Kind of early for dinner, I like to eat later, like around 8 or so, but the fellas will take it as a sign they are supposed to eat again after the show! :)

Sara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter