Candlelight Processional - Not Getting Dinner Package- Who's Waiting in Line with Me?

Last two times we went for the holidays we went early in December and during the week.
This year we just found out that our DD17 will be singing at the CP with her choir on 12/28:scared1: We are so excited to see her in that. I cry when I watch it on a normal showing and now we will be seeing her singing it her senior year. But Christmas week???? Ugggg!!!!
I was thinking of getting us the package but she will be singing at two shows and we don't know what ones yet. Should we get the package to get in for one and wait in line for the other? When do the packages usually go on sale and the narrators listed?

Hi everyone!

We have never gone to Disney at Holiday time before. We are going to be there the nights of 12/12 - 12/18 . Is the candlelight processional shown every night? How long is it ? We are planning to be in epcot on sun, wed and friday. Thinking of switching to Monday if could get into show without Dinner package.
What is the dinner package like ? Is the regular menu offered? Is the first show the best choice ? Thanks for any help I can get. :santa:

Hi everyone!

We have never gone to Disney at Holiday time before. We are going to be there the nights of 12/12 - 12/18 . Is the candlelight processional shown every night? How long is it ? We are planning to be in epcot on sun, wed and friday. Thinking of switching to Monday if could get into show without Dinner package.
What is the dinner package like ? Is the regular menu offered? Is the first show the best choice ? Thanks for any help I can get. :santa:

We are going the same week. CP is showns every night. I heard it is about 30 minutes. I would pick the evening that best fits your schedule. We are going Sun. From what it sounds the first show is the busiest show of the evening and since you are going on a slow period you might be able to just walk up and stand in line if you are willing to do the second or third show. We are doing the dining packake cause we are on the dining plan. There is only a selected rest. that have the package.

We are going the same week. CP is showns every night. I heard it is about 30 minutes. I would pick the evening that best fits your schedule. We are going Sun. From what it sounds the first show is the busiest show of the evening and since you are going on a slow period you might be able to just walk up and stand in line if you are willing to do the second or third show. We are doing the dining packake cause we are on the dining plan. There is only a selected rest. that have the package.

It runs about 45 minutes.

Is there wheel chair accessible seating for the show? If so is it down front or on the sides? Would we still need to be in line an hour early for these seats? Don't won't to use the extra DP credits as have already got reservations for each day. Thanks for any imput.

Here's my plan. We will start checking out the line for the 5pm show around 2:30pm, we will be roaming around World Showcase anyway. When it starts to form, I (DH) will wait in line while DW and DS5 explore World Showcase and hopefully bring me a beer now and then while I enjoy a good book.

What do you think?

Normally, I don't have a problem with this, but for CP, I do. I think the entire party should be in line. When only one person out of four, or six, or eight, is standing in line, it gives a false sense of how big the line actually is and your chances of getting into the show. It's not like an attraction where there are nearly unlimited opportunities - it's offered three times a day and if you don't get in, you don't get in. I totally understand not wanting to buy the package, but please folks, get your whole party together in line so we know how big the line really is. Thanks!

Normally, I don't have a problem with this, but for CP, I do. I think the entire party should be in line. When only one person out of four, or six, or eight, is standing in line, it gives a false sense of how big the line actually is and your chances of getting into the show. It's not like an attraction where there are nearly unlimited opportunities - it's offered three times a day and if you don't get in, you don't get in. I totally understand not wanting to buy the package, but please folks, get your whole party together in line so we know how big the line really is. Thanks!

I would have to agree with you on this..And if it is a popular narrator..Fights may break out because of this.

Most people go for the later shows because it is completely dark outside which adds a little something to the experience.As for the packages, once they are released you call disney dining.You decide on a showtime, and they GIVE you the available dining times.You don't get to pick any old time.You must DINE before the show( in years past they allowed it after , not anymore).You still will wait in a line to get in, but you a guranteed a space inside the theater( it may not be a great seat either)

I too have a wheelchair question. We have never gone this time of year before so we are excited but I knew nothing at this processional. We have 5pm ressies at garden grill so I am not sure if going to this would even work.
My mom is in a WC and we push her so I am not sure if we would be able to get there fast enough to see one of the shows.
I havent yet looked up the times for the shows. We have stood in line all together with her in the WC before so waiting wouldnt matter but I am a little afraid of what happens when they let people in. Is it a mad rush? We have gone on things before and once they tell people to go my mother nearly gets trampled. Being lower in a WC really stinks when you have people literally crawling over the top of you to get ahead.
Does anyone know how it works for someone in a WC? Is it worth even trying to see this or should I just skip it all together?
TIA for your thoughts

I have never gone to the Candlelight Processional, we are going to be in WDW dec 11th-17th... and this is a must do on my list. When do they announce the narators and the dining packages? Will it be easy to get in without the dining package?

I too have a wheelchair question. We have never gone this time of year before so we are excited but I knew nothing at this processional. We have 5pm ressies at garden grill so I am not sure if going to this would even work.
My mom is in a WC and we push her so I am not sure if we would be able to get there fast enough to see one of the shows.
I havent yet looked up the times for the shows. We have stood in line all together with her in the WC before so waiting wouldnt matter but I am a little afraid of what happens when they let people in. Is it a mad rush? We have gone on things before and once they tell people to go my mother nearly gets trampled. Being lower in a WC really stinks when you have people literally crawling over the top of you to get ahead.
Does anyone know how it works for someone in a WC? Is it worth even trying to see this or should I just skip it all together?
TIA for your thoughts
Actually, the lines for CP are pretty decently behaved. There is special seating for those in WC's or ECV's, with seating next to them for those with them. I doubt you will have a lot of pushing and shoving in the line or while being seated.
There are 3 show each night, so you should be able to get to a later one.

I have never gone to the Candlelight Processional, we are going to be in WDW dec 11th-17th... and this is a must do on my list. When do they announce the narators and the dining packages? Will it be easy to get in without the dining package?
The narrators will be announced during the summer months. And the packages are usually open to be booked by the end of the summer. But, Disney has been tweaking dining stuff, so there's no way to be certain when they will put those pkg's out there.
As for the ease of getting in without a dining pkg, it all depends on the narrator and the show time. The early show is usually the least crowded..most people (myself included) prefer to go to a show when it's completely dark out..it adds to the atmosphere of the show. And if it's a popular narrator, you may have a long wait in the standby line. Even those with the dining pkg have a long wait...I usually arrive at the end of the line about 40 mins before the show starts and I'm across from Japan!!! But, the line moves quickly once they open the gate.
They allow the standby line to start entering about 15 mins after the pkg people start going in.

We took mum last year in her ECV -we saw the 5pm show. We Queued for about 90 mins in a very friendly , chatty and good natured crowd. There was no pushing or shoving at all.

The Cast Members are so good they kept counting the line and gave a good indication as to whether or not you would get in to the show.

Mum transferred from her ECV so we were sat in "normal" seats other wheelchair and ECV users also got great seats.

I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

We're back this year without DM & DD and we'll be joining the queue again!

Count me in, we got the dinner pkg. last few years including last year when it cost 2 credits..too steep of a price i think, so i will take my chances and wait in line this year. Good luck everyone! :)

Does the unofficial list of narrators change anyone's plan to just wait without getting the CP dining plan package? List is below...

We plan to go Dec. 7 for the 5pm show. Jodi Benson, the voice of Ariel in Little Mermaid, could make those nights popular. Also planning a 2nd CP (also 5pm) on Dec. 10. I'm sure Whoopi will be very popular. But I'd rather hear Ariel...

I'm still not going to use 2 DDP credits for the package... but I might pay out of pocket for the cheapest one and use the DDP credits for something else. I'd pick lunch - we were going to eat lunch at Biergarten and San Angel Inn anyway, and those were the cheapest CP packages last year.

11/26/10-11/28/01 - Isabella Rossellini
11/29/10-12/06/10 - TBD
12/07/10-12/09/10 - Jodi Benson
12/10/10-12/11/10 - Whoopi Goldberg
12/12/10-12/15/10 - Steven Curtis Chapman
12/16/10-12/18/10 - Thomas Gibson
12/19/10-12/21/10 - Trace Adkins
12/22/10-12/27/10 - TBD
12/28/10-12/30/10 - Marlee Matlin

I did the CP last year and I wouldn't do it again. The narrators were Angela Bassett and Courtney Vance, and they did a nice job.

I am on the Disboards all the time and we go to WDW 2-3 times a year. I research everything before we go and I made ADRs for the dinner package (which worked well and we had great seats). The thing that made me not enjoy it was, even after all of my careful planning and researching, somehow I didn't realize it was a religious program -- specifically only one religion. I know that many people relate December to many different religious happenings. In fact, we enjoyed walking around Epcot and learning more about the various traditions different cultures.

All of the advertisements said that it was "the Christmas story"...but I just thought they were stories about Christmas or something like that. Sometimes I forget that Christmas means something different to Christians than it does to people who aren't.

I'm sure it was my fault for not checking it out ahead of time -- but I am just passing on my experience in case someone else doesn't want to pay the extra TS credit and spend the extra time for a religious program.

So, Steven Curtis Chapman is very popular...I don't know who he is and I swear I don't live under a rock!

My questions:
1) should we be aiming for the earliest show we can get to?
2) do you think Jodi Benson on Tues, Dec 7 (show 2 or 3 as Chefs de France ADR at 6:10 pm), will be less crowded than Steven Curtis Chapman on Tues, Dec 14 (show 1 or 3 as Le Cellier at 7:40 pm)?

December 14 is our final night and I thought this would be such a nice ending to the trip however I can change our first night and make it such a nice start to the trip!

So, Steven Curtis Chapman is very popular...I don't know who he is and I swear I don't live under a rock!

My questions:
1) should we be aiming for the earliest show we can get to?
2) do you think Jodi Benson on Tues, Dec 7 (show 2 or 3 as Chefs de France ADR at 6:10 pm), will be less crowded than Steven Curtis Chapman on Tues, Dec 14 (show 1 or 3 as Le Cellier at 7:40 pm)?

December 14 is our final night and I thought this would be such a nice ending to the trip however I can change our first night and make it such a nice start to the trip!

Steven Curtis Chapman is HUGELY popular. I am so hoping we can hear him do it. He is a Christian music singer. http://www.stevencurtischapman.com/
He has been in the business for a LONG time! I loved his music when I started high school back 17 years ago.

For ME it would be more moving to hear him read the Christmas story vs Whoopi. Thats just me but I am really looking forward to this!

I did the CP last year and I wouldn't do it again. The narrators were Angela Bassett and Courtney Vance, and they did a nice job.

I am on the Disboards all the time and we go to WDW 2-3 times a year. I research everything before we go and I made ADRs for the dinner package (which worked well and we had great seats). The thing that made me not enjoy it was, even after all of my careful planning and researching, somehow I didn't realize it was a religious program -- specifically only one religion. I know that many people relate December to many different religious happenings. In fact, we enjoyed walking around Epcot and learning more about the various traditions different cultures.

All of the advertisements said that it was "the Christmas story"...but I just thought they were stories about Christmas or something like that. Sometimes I forget that Christmas means something different to Christians than it does to people who aren't.

I'm sure it was my fault for not checking it out ahead of time -- but I am just passing on my experience in case someone else doesn't want to pay the extra TS credit and spend the extra time for a religious program.

The way I see it, the key word is story, which is the way I view this, or an equivalent story from any other culture. It's another story or legend, nothing more or less.

The way I see it, the key word is story, which is the way I view this, or an equivalent story from any other culture. It's another story or legend, nothing more or less.

Excellent! That is almost exactly what I told my son afterward. Thanks for that. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter