Candlelight Processional and Illluminations..young kids...possible?

princesslover

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to wrap my head around how best to plan for this. I could use some advice from anyone who has gone to CP with young kids and how you planned around it.

Here's our plan. My girls are 3 and 6. (My DD3 is having a birthday while we are there). We are going to be in Epcot early that day to have breakfast with with Princesses at Akershus at 8:10, so keep that in mind, meaning my kids are going to be up super early that day. We also have lunch ADR at Tutto Italia for 11:40.

I was thinking that after lunch, we'd go back to the resort (WL) to rest for the afternoon, then come back for a later CP, and then see IllumuNations.

OTOH, would it make sense to just stay there after lunch, and get in line for the 5:00 showing, which may be less crowed, and leave after that? I just read in another thread that the line forms pretty early. But if we do that, we'll likely have to leave right afterward because my kids will have been there all day at that point, and that means we'll miss IllumiNations. This is our first ever trip to Disney, and I'm not sure when we'll be coming back. I'd like to see both, but maybe that's just too much?

The crowd level is predicted at a 4 that day, so I'm hoping we'll be able to get into one of the CP's. Well, that is my hope.

So what should be my plan of attack? I've gotten so much good advice here, I really appreciate all who have taken the time to help me wade through all this!!! :worship:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how best to plan for this. I could use some advice from anyone who has gone to CP with young kids and how you planned around it.

Here's our plan. My girls are 3 and 6. (My DD3 is having a birthday while we are there). We are going to be in Epcot early that day to have breakfast with with Princesses at Akershus at 8:10, so keep that in mind, meaning my kids are going to be up super early that day. We also have lunch ADR at Tutto Italia for 11:40.

I was thinking that after lunch, we'd go back to the resort (WL) to rest for the afternoon, then come back for a later CP, and then see IllumuNations.

OTOH, would it make sense to just stay there after lunch, and get in line for the 5:00 showing, which may be less crowed, and leave after that? I just read in another thread that the line forms pretty early. But if we do that, we'll likely have to leave right afterward because my kids will have been there all day at that point, and that means we'll miss IllumiNations. This is our first ever trip to Disney, and I'm not sure when we'll be coming back. I'd like to see both, but maybe that's just too much?

The crowd level is predicted at a 4 that day, so I'm hoping we'll be able to get into one of the CP's. Well, that is my hope.

So what should be my plan of attack? I've gotten so much good advice here, I really appreciate all who have taken the time to help me wade through all this!!! :worship:

Hello there! Me agian! :) You said (in another thread) you were doing Epcot the night before correct? Can you see Illuminations the night before? I have never done the CP before and hope to do it this year with my DS 7yrs old. I am also looking forward to responses because honestly I wonder what age is to young for CP? I am not sure my son will enjoy it to be honest. Also, there are rest stations and playgrounds other areas to relax and destress a bit at Epcot. The youngest I have take my son to DW and he would sleep in his stroller. You are bringing a stroller right? This year is the first year we are going with out a stroller at age 7. To be honest I am nervous about it! WL is a hike from Epcot. You can bus it back or take the monorail to MK and then take a ferry back. To me that is alot of back and forth I would not want to do. I would rather bring a blanket and kick back on the grass and destress for an hour or so.

Hello there! Me agian! :) You said (in another thread) you were doing Epcot the night before correct? Can you see Illuminations the night before? I have never done the CP before and hope to do it this year with my DS 7yrs old. I am also looking forward to responses because honestly I wonder what age is to young for CP? I am not sure my son will enjoy it to be honest. Also, there are rest stations and playgrounds other areas to relax and destress a bit at Epcot. The youngest I have take my son to DW and he would sleep in his stroller. You are bringing a stroller right? This year is the first year we are going with out a stroller at age 7. To be honest I am nervous about it! WL is a hike from Epcot. You can bus it back or take the monorail to MK and then take a ferry back. To me that is alot of back and forth I would not want to do. I would rather bring a blanket and kick back on the grass and destress for an hour or so.

Sorry it took me so long to get back...I lost this thread and had to do a search for it. ;)

Yes...the plan is Epcot on arrival day for a half day, then the next day for a full day. We have an ADR for 1900 PF that evening. We *could* do illuminations that first night instead. But, I'm thinking that at that point, we won't have even seen our room yet. My girls will have been up since 4:30 am (our flight leaves at 6:00 in the morning). I have a feeling that once we get out of PF at 7:30 or so, we'll just want to head to the WL, see our room :hippie: and crash. Don't forget, we have that 8:10 reservation at Akershus the next day!

So, I'm thinking day #2 at Epcot would be better. So the question is, do we go back to the resort after lunch and have a long afternoon break so we can see both CP and illuminations?

Or do we just stick around and get in line for the 5:00 CP, then call it a day?

Anyone have any thoughts? Is it ridiculous to think with DD's 3 and 6 that we will see both? Be honest, I can take it!! :thumbsup2

I am subsribing to this thread, thanks for posting it!

We have plans to go to the CP with an ADHD 6yro, and I am not sure it will hold his interest. :confused3

I hope the experienced parents will come out and let us know their thoughts!! Can kids sit through it? Does it hold their interest? How long is the show?

What time do your kids normally go to bed? If they go to bed early, I'd say you could do an early CP but skip Illuminations. If they go to bed later definitely head back to WL for a break then return for both CP and Illuminations.

I will be have DS4 and DD2 for our trip in 3 Weeks :banana:. When we went to the World a year ago Sept. We went back to WL every day for breaks (DD was still doing 2 naps, but go by with 1 on vacation). This year since DS doesn't nap anymore we are renting a double stroller from Magic Strollers and I am hoping anyone who needs to sleep will do so in the stroller.

With that game plan we are hoping to stay at the parks all day and have CP package for 4:50 dinner and 6:45 CP show. If we do get to see Illuminations great, but I'm not counting on it. I am planning on staying all night for MVMCP!

I personally would not take a 3 year old to the CP. We did it last year and my kids were rather bored and they were 7 and almost 10. My daughter (7) actually fell asleep a few minutes into the show. I think it's a lot to sit through for a 3 year old and even a 6 year old.

Combine that with your already full day and I would opt for the nap and return for Illuminations or not even that (really depends on what you're doing the next morning since Illuminations is not until 9:30 PM - we go to bed by then most nights at WDW)!

Yes...the plan is Epcot on arrival day for a half day, then the next day for a full day. We have an ADR for 1900 PF that evening. We *could* do illuminations that first night instead. But, I'm thinking that at that point, we won't have even seen our room yet. My girls will have been up since 4:30 am (our flight leaves at 6:00 in the morning). I have a feeling that once we get out of PF at 7:30 or so, we'll just want to head to the WL, see our room :hippie: and crash. Don't forget, we have that 8:10 reservation at Akershus the next day!

So, I'm thinking day #2 at Epcot would be better. So the question is, do we go back to the resort after lunch and have a long afternoon break so we can see both CP and illuminations?

Or do we just stick around and get in line for the 5:00 CP, then call it a day?

Anyone have any thoughts? Is it ridiculous to think with DD's 3 and 6 that we will see both? Be honest, I can take it!! :thumbsup2

I don't see how a 3 & 6 year old is going to get up at 4:30 am, travel all day, get to a hotel room after 8 pm, get up early the next morning and have all of that excitement and then make it through Illuminations. At 3 - they may not like illuminations - sometimes it is just too loud for them and they are scared. I am thinking you may need to hit the room for a break in the afternoon. If they are rested and ready to go back and try for CP, great. If not, let them relax and have fun at the resort. My girls love WL.

The lines do get really long for CP, but you can also listen to it outside of the theater, if you aren't lucky enough to get in for a seat. Beautiful music.

Have a great time whatever you decide.

I am subsribing to this thread, thanks for posting it!

We have plans to go to the CP with an ADHD 6yro, and I am not sure it will hold his interest. :confused3

I hope the experienced parents will come out and let us know their thoughts!! Can kids sit through it? Does it hold their interest? How long is the show?

My 7 yr old has ADHD and he has sat thru many things I never thought he would at DW. DW if magic for him. All of a sudden he can wait in line but he can't at home. I do not medicate but do dietary restrictions instead so I too worry about sitting for CP.

I don't see how a 3 & 6 year old is going to get up at 4:30 am, travel all day, get to a hotel room after 8 pm, get up early the next morning and have all of that excitement and then make it through Illuminations. At 3 - they may not like illuminations - sometimes it is just too loud for them and they are scared. I am thinking you may need to hit the room for a break in the afternoon. If they are rested and ready to go back and try for CP, great. If not, let them relax and have fun at the resort. My girls love WL.

The lines do get really long for CP, but you can also listen to it outside of the theater, if you aren't lucky enough to get in for a seat. Beautiful music.

can you tell me what exactly they do in CP?

can you tell me what exactly they do in CP?

The Candlelight Processional is a telling of the story of Christmas..with various high school choirs/choruses, and a smallish group of volunteer CMs who form a human Christmas tree...full orchestra, and one of the 'professional' singing groups from Epcot, and a guest celebrity narrator.
The choirs/choruses process into the theater with candles..hence the name. Then, various parts of the Christmas story are narrated, with an accomanying piece music sung. It lasts about 40 mins. Is it exciting? No, not particularly. But it is beautiful.
You can either buy a CP dinner pkg and get guaranteed seating or take your chances in the standby line. Those in the standby line are allowed into the theater to look for seats about 10 mins after those with the dinner pkg are allowed in. The line can get very long depending on which show (there are three each day), and the narrator for that day.

I'm not at all sure that young kids are going to be able to handle an entire day in Epcot...from breakfast to park closing. I would do the breakfast and hang out until lunchtime. Then head back to the resort for a few hours and some naptime. Then, mid-afternoon, head back to Epcot for some dinner and evening activities.

The Candlelight Processional is a telling of the story of Christmas..with various high school choirs/choruses, and a smallish group of volunteer CMs who form a human Christmas tree...full orchestra, and one of the 'professional' singing groups from Epcot, and a guest celebrity narrator.
The choirs/choruses process into the theater with candles..hence the name. Then, various parts of the Christmas story are narrated, with an accomanying piece music sung. It lasts about 40 mins. Is it exciting? No, not particularly. But it is beautiful.
You can either buy a CP dinner pkg and get guaranteed seating or take your chances in the standby line. Those in the standby line are allowed into the theater to look for seats about 10 mins after those with the dinner pkg are allowed in. The line can get very long depending on which show (there are three each day), and the narrator for that day.

I'm not at all sure that young kids are going to be able to handle an entire day in Epcot...from breakfast to park closing. I would do the breakfast and hang out until lunchtime. Then head back to the resort for a few hours and some naptime. Then, mid-afternoon, head back to Epcot for some dinner and evening activities.

Thanks for the info. Not sure my son would like that. He might like the story telling part though. we have been going to DW twice a year since my son. We have gone all day long open to close with out the need to go back to the room and nap. We have never planned that into our day. At 7 1/2 I highly doubt he would start now!

Oh, no. I think my post was not clear. :)

Yes, we are going to Epcot on arrrival day, which will be a half day (planning to get there at around noon-ish) - that is the day we are going to be up super, super early. But THEN we are going the next day for a full day. I am not planning on doing CP and Illuminations that first day, for all the reasons you mentioned. I said this in my reply to the first poster in the thread.

The *next* day, we will be back at Epcot again for a full day, but will be taking a break in the afternoon. We do have early breakfast reservations that morning at 8:10 at Akershus, so it still will be kind of a long day for them. But not as bad as arrival day when they are up at 4:30. ;)

I was thinking of going until noon or so, taking a break back at the lodge for the afternoon, and heading back around 5:00-6:00 and maybe seeing CP (if even from the outside just listening) and then illuminations.

FWIW, we have no early plans the next day, except to get to MK as early as we can.

Keep the replies coming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter