Cancer Sucks!

princessfionasmom

DIS Veteran
My husband was recently diagnosed with leukemia, CML Blast Stage. We had no idea he was sick until just before valentines day. All of a sudden he was loosing his color and couldn't keep up with his running which was so unlike him. Well I dragged him to the Dr. on valentines day and she sent us right to the ER as his blood level was so low. When we got to the ER I heard one of the nurses say to another, have you seen his levels? I thought they were talking about how low his blood level was, because he was extremely low but we later found out it was his white blood count that was out of wack. So we were sitting in his room in the ER and in walks this Dr and introduces himself as the head of oncology :scared1:, we both looked at each other and were totally dumbfounded. The Dr. went on to explain that my husbands white cell levels where out of wack all the way down the line but wanted to run a few more tests and we'd talk the next day. Well the next day the Dr. comes in and tells us he believes my husband has Chronic Meyoloid Leukemia but its a disease that can be controlled by taking a pill they would just need to do a bone marrow biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. A couple of days later we were at his office getting the test done and were told we'd have the results in 7-10 days. Well we get the results and it was a big slap in the face, blast stage. We were fully expecting that my husband would go on this pill that he would take to keep the disease in remission. Now we are faced with only one option, a stem cell transplant. It was so horrifiying sitting there listening the the transplant guy telling us that this is his only chance of surviving. They immediately started him on chemo and he goes for weekly spinal chemo and fusion chemo as well as taking a chemo drug called gleevec. They do the weekly spinal to prevent any blasts from going to his brain. It's just been so overwhelming. They are searching for a match in the bank right now and once we get a match my husband has to go thru intense chemo and irradiation to kill all his bone marrow and his immune system. I can't believe he has to go thru this. He has also taken such good care of himself, eats pretty good and exercises all the time, this is just crazy and so unreal.

My husband is being treated at Dana Farber in Boston so I know he will get the best care he possibly can. Anyway, I got my title Cancer Sucks from a pin one of the phlabotomists(sp?) was wearing, said one of his patients gave it to him. Well, sorry I went on and on, I just feel like I needed to get it all out as we have two young children so talking about it around the house is not favored upon. The kids know their dad is sick but we are not going to worry them unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't know why I keep rambling on, please excuse me. I'm just looking for prayers from those of you who pray and positive thoughts from those who don't.
Thanks,
Carmel

:hug: I am so sorry to hear the news about your dh. Yes cancer does suck, I know for sure. I bet you feel like your world has been turned upside down.

I am sure its so hard on you emotionally too. I always asked my dh why he didnt cry with all I was going through. He said I need to be strong for you, but sometimes he cried.

Your dh is at a great hosp. I am sure that he is getting the best treatment possible and I pray they will find a match for him soon. I know 2 people who had bmt's and both are doing fine now.

Can you get a caring bridge page for your dh. It would probably help with the communication and then you wouldnt have to do too much medical talking in front of the kids.

I hope you have people who can help you out with meals, child care etc. We really dont have any family, but my church family stepped in and helped with lots of meals when we needed them.

Talk to your hospital social worker too with any concerns or questions you have.

I know its such a difficult journey and I pray for peace and comfort for you along with way.

Feel free to vent,cry,share,talk etc. here. Its great to get it all out.

Carmel, :hug:

Cancer does suck, it is an ugly beast. I will keep up good thoughts and prayers for husband, and your family.:grouphug:

Carmel :hug:
You're right, cancer does suck... leukemia sucks!
My mom was diagnosed a year ago this week with ALL- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. You are stepping onto the road we have been travelling for a year. You are going to see things you cannot unsee and feel things you can never unfeel. What is done to the human body to rid it of leukemia is horrific, and your husband will look worse before he looks better.
I am not trying to be the bearer of bad news, just want you to know, you are not alone in this. Feel free to PM me if you need support or just need to unload. I have walked in your shoes (ok, mom/child is way different than husband/wife, but I have felt some of what you will feel)

If your oncologist has not already told you, Leukemia is the Why Me? disease, why did it happen to me? what did I do wrong? The answer is nothing, it is the randomness of the universe that strikes people with leukemia. You and your DH will spend alot of time around people living in various stages of his disease, and plenty of medical workers who see this every day. Take full advantage of their knowledge, advice and offers of help. Take advantage of offers of help from your family and friends. And mostly, take care of yourself, you cannot help him if you let your own needs slide.

You both are in my prayers. Again, feel free to PM me if you want to. I have every confidence in medicine, and I will be praying that your DH is marching proudly holding a Survivors balloon at next year's Light the Night Walk(for Leukemia and Lymphoma).

Hi Carmel,
I am sorry your husband is facing this terrible illness, I shall be thinking of your family.:grouphug:

Quasar

I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. This is why I've been up since 2 am...my dh also has cancer....Stage IV. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

I am sorry to hear about your dh. Be there for each other.

Cancer sucks big time and I can't help wondering if there is a cure out there somewhere but the big companies need to make money.

I have a post here also. I just lost my dad in Dec. and my sister (47) two weeks ago. My brother-in-law, also 47, a year ago and my mom finished breast cancer treatments in November (or should I say barely since she had open heart surgery and is still not well).

Don't understand things sometimes but we can drive ourselves crazy thinking about it. I used to say one day at a time, but someone else here said, one hour at a time. For now this works better for me.
:hug:

I'm sorry you and your husband are going through this. You will be in my prayers. I know that cancer is a terrible disease. So is leukemia. I agree with one of the previous posters.... make a caringbridge page. It will help you and your husband to release your feelings.

:grouphug:

You have my prayers.

My DH went in for his regular colonoscopy screening last fall, and the next thing I know they say he has colon cancer! What? Where did this come from?!!!!!!!

Fortunately, his screening caught it early and they were able to remove the section with no spread into the lymph nodes.

It just goes to show, you can be doing all the right things and BOOM, there it is!!!

God bless you.

My heart goes out to you. I lost my best friend Jeni to leukemia a few years ago. She had a perfect match for a stem cell transplant, was in the hospital for 90 consecutive days but ended up dying of graft versus host.

Not sure if you are into bad language but leukemia deserves the f-bomb. We had shirts, buttons printed, and the doctors and nurses LOVED them. Of course they would hide them under their scrubs but show other patients if they thought it acceptable. We had to place several orders.

Jeni was cremated wearing her pink f-leukemia shirt.

Best wishes to you.

How awful, Carmel. I pray one day soon there will be a cure for all cancers and the suffering will end for those diagnosed with it. I often pray, and I will pray for you husband. God bless you.

I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. This is why I've been up since 2 am...my dh also has cancer....Stage IV. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

So sorry for you and your husband. I will pray for him, too.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I have set up a webpage thru lotsahelpinghands which is going to be great. It gets so emotionally draining when I have to retell updates to everyone over and over again so the website will definitely help with that. DH had his weekly chemo yesterday and the Dr. said he will need blood weekly now. Still no word from the bank on a match but hopefully we'll hear soon on that. It's so hard to look at him now and know what he has yet to go thru, I love him so much and it just pains me not to be able to make him better.

fb309 - I am so sorry for what you are going thru and will keep you in my prayers as well.

AnnaS - sounds like you have been thru the wringer, I will keep you and your family in my prayers as well.

chicagodisneyfan - I'm sorry to hear about your friend Jeni. I was telling my husband about the shirts you had made and he thinks they are awesome. My friend and I run together and have set a goal to do an 8 mile run on May 14th, just the 2 of us, but I am going to make up shirts with that saying for our run, I hope that's OK.

My friends are great and have started to organize a fundraiser to help with the medical costs, because of course, being sick is crazy expensive and DH will be out of work for a year. My main concern right now is getting DH thru this, everything else will have to wait.

Thank you!
Carmel

Life is just so unfair sometimes. I am so sorry to hear about this. I actually sent it to my fiance.

I just recently lost my dad to a brain tumor. He was also as healthy as can be. Very fit, ate really well, always active in everything. Didnt smoke, didnt drink. He went to see his doctor for some sleeping problems and was sent for testing, diagnosed with end stage cancer, 9 months later he passed away-at the age of 59. We were completely shocked. There are no words to describe what one goes through, and believe me still dealing with the emotions of his death 4 months ago, I can only imagine what you are going through. If I could hug you right now-even as a stranger, I would. All our prayers with you-much love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter