• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancelling port adventure on 9 hrs notice?

timrousbeastie

Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, ...
We are currently on the Fantasy and it is 11 pm the night before Cozumel. A 12 year-old member of our party just got sick and housekeeping is busy cleaning our room. I already asked about quarantine but was told we were ok.

Now, we have a port adventure to X-Caret at 8 am in the morning for him, his parents, and his 9 year-old sister. Everything is closed for the evening. What would you do to notify DCL that they won't be going? There is no way his parents would want to have any of them split up and leave the ship.

We are currently on the Fantasy and it is 11 pm the night before Cozumel. A 12 year-old member of our party just got sick and housekeeping is busy cleaning our room. I already asked about quarantine but was told we were ok.

Now, we have a port adventure to X-Caret at 8 am in the morning for him, his parents, and his 9 year-old sister. Everything is closed for the evening. What would you do to notify DCL that they won't be going? There is no way his parents would want to have any of them split up and leave the ship.
Go to the passenger service desk???! That is open 24 hours?
Just go and report it to them.

Instead of running down to them again call them on your cabin phone and ask that they send a email to the shore excursion people saying you reported this now and you will go to them early tomorrow to. Just so you have it on record that you reported this tonight and they probably check their emails before starting work on the front desk! Hope it works out for you and the littles is better soon!

It Can be distressing to be sick away from home. Is there any hope that after a good nights sleep he will feel well enough to go on the excursion?
The ship is a floating hotel. There will be a few CM ready for overnight situations. Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

Additionally, if the family has travel insurance that includes "trip interruption", a claim can be filed for any nonrefundable excursion fees and for compensation for missed time due to any quarantine that might happen.

Hope everyone is feeling good very soon.

Additionally, if the family has travel insurance that includes "trip interruption", a claim can be filed for any nonrefundable excursion fees and for compensation for missed time due to any quarantine that might happen.

Hope everyone is feeling good very soon.

If I read the OP correctly, they are NOT being quarantined, so that wouldn't apply.

My DH wasn't feeling good the day of our dolphin swim and we couldn't get a refund but they would let someone else go in his place.

Thanks for all the help, it was confusing last night to wake up and having to deal with this.

I got up early to go down to the port adventures desk and inform them that we'd be no-shows, but the concierge team took care of that. Guest services told me that we'd have to go to the medical center and pay to see the doctor to get a clearance that we could then use as documentation to get a refund. They hinted that a refund typically would be issued to the child and one parent, not to the whole family. Based on that and the feedback above, I decided just to write it down as a loss and stay on the ship instead. Going through the red tape and having to deal with insurance after the cruise is just not worth the $300 or so that I might have been able to get back. Besides, I am not comfortable going on a 7 hour excursion, especially with the ferry to Playa del Carmen, so soon after someone in our cabin was sick.

I'll monitor our party closely today and make sure we follow procedures and show proper consideration towards other guests. For now, it looks like a mild case of food poisoning.

Food poisoning? From a meal on the ship?

More likely something that didn't agree with the kid's system (or too much of something) Unless a LOT of people who ate the same thing the kid did are sick (which I'm sure we would be hearing all about), it is NOT food poisoning from the ship.

If I read the OP correctly, they are NOT being quarantined, so that wouldn't apply.
I threw that in there in case someone in charge changed their mind about the quarantine decision, or in case it turned out to be a contagious illness that ended up sidelining other members of their party. Besides, not everyone realizes that insurance can cover a portion of their trip in these types of scenarios.

More likely something that didn't agree with the kid's system (or too much of something) Unless a LOT of people who ate the same thing the kid did are sick (which I'm sure we would be hearing all about), it is NOT food poisoning from the ship.

Thank you for correcting and clarifying my post. He is visiting the US for the first time and I am sure it was something his stomach was not used to. The rest of us ate the same great food at dinner.

I threw that in there in case someone in charge changed their mind about the quarantine decision, or in case it turned out to be a contagious illness that ended up sidelining other members of their party. Besides, not everyone realizes that insurance can cover a portion of their trip in these types of scenarios.

Gotcha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter