Cancelled Royal 7 night Freedom for 4 Night Dream

jblb1020

Mouseketeer
My husband and I and my 2 kids have been on 7 Disney Cruises. Our last one being last November on the Disney Dream. We had a great time but thought after the cruise with our kids getting older (DD 9, DS 11) and the rising costs of Disney Cruise Line we would try another cruise line. So we booked a RC Cruise this Nov. 2012 but decided that just me and my husband would go on a 5 night on RC in April to get an idea of what it would be like before taking the kids. Well needless to say the day we got home from our 5 night cruise I cancelled our 7 night Eastern on RC and booked a 4 night Disney Dream cruise for the same week in Nov. The price of the 7 night Eastern was $200.00 more than the 4 night Disney Dream but I have to say I will sacrifice the 3 days lost for almost the same price then sacrifice all that Disney Cruise Line offers. So now that we are spoiled sailing on Disney it looks like our family will be sailing only Disney Cruise Line. Just thought I would share my opinion/experience.....

Can you tell me what you preferred over RC? I have only been on DCL and I am scared to try other lines for fear it won't measure up! :)

Can you tell me what your experiences were on RCCL that made you change the November cruise?

My husband and I tried the My Time Dining so that we didnt have a scheduled time to be at dinner. We where told we could show up anytime during dining. When we got there around 7 we where told that we had to sit at a table with other guests and could not be seated at a table for two. So from that night on we reserved a dining time so that my husband and i could have a table for two which kinda defeats the my time dining. Also we where never asked if we would like drinks. On Disney your assistant server always served drinks and usually after the first night the drinks are waiting on the table when you arrive for dinner. On Royal they have a separate person walking around that we had to flag down just to get a soda. *Soda is also an extra charge and is not free as it is on Disney. By the time we got our soda we where already halfway through our meal. Not once did we ever meet our Head Server and the last night was told to leave his tip envelope on the table and he would get it. We where not the only ones as everyone around us asked where he was and was told to leave their tip envelope on the table. On Disney we where always greeted by our Head server every night and asked if there was anything we needed. My husband and I enjoyed the adult only pool area and apparently RC doesn't have strict rules about kids swimming in the pools and hot tubs. Kids where everywhere and never asked to leave. Drink servers where nowhere to be found. We had to ask the towel guy to please send over someone who could take drink orders as us and 15 other couples wanted something to drink from the bar. Disney we are constantly being asked if we would like a drink. The bars on the pool deck on RC where not even open and it was the middle of the afternoon. There are no drink stations on the pool decks nor places to get food. You have to go to the buffet if you want any kind of food or non alcoholic drinks or go to Deck 5 in the promenade. Disney has an area where you can get pizza, sandwich, hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken fingers, fruit, etc. all on the pool deck. Royal Caribbean also has you check out towels on the pool deck and if you don't bring them back and get your card swiped u will be charged $25 per towel. Seriously? Disney has towels in a bin you can take as many as you need and throw them in a towel bin when you are finished. On RC we had to wait in line to get a towel and swipe our card then stand in line to return our towel and swipe our card. The staff on Disney is like no other. RC the staff was friendly but didn't do anything that we can say was excellent. Disney we have always found is excellent and aims to please in every way. I was watching the dining staff when a family had children and there was no interaction with the kids. No magic tricks at the table for the kids and no one was offering to pour ketchup or cut up the kids food. In the end my husband and I both agreed the extra money for the Disney Cruise is so worth it in the end.

Oh yes. Drinks have been an issue at Dinner for me on RCL. We just don't eat in the dining room anymore. Hit the pay places a few time and the buffet. Drink service is better in both places.

You didn't mention which RCCL ships you're referring to. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that each family member gets something different from each experience (good or bad). We've tried several lines with our kids and they have good memories from them all. We'd always choose a longer trip for comparable $$.

Thank you for your post/review, I have only cruise on DCL, my sis keeps trying to talk me into cruising on another. The other cruise lines just dont appeal to me at all, even more so after reading your post/review. Again, thank you.

You didn't mention which RCCL ships you're referring to. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that each family member gets something different from each experience (good or bad). We've tried several lines with our kids and they have good memories from them all. We'd always choose a longer trip for comparable $$.

My Husband and I where on Explorer of the Seas. It was a beautiful ship. As I stated this was just my experience. I have friends that Love Royal and so do my parents. For me I would rather be loving four nights on a cruise then 7 nights of wishing I was on Disney. I may one day try again on maybe one of Royal's larger ships like Oasis or Allure since they seem to have a lot more to offer but for now we have decided to keep sailing with Disney. Just my own personal opinion.

My husband and I tried the My Time Dining so that we didnt have a scheduled time to be at dinner. We where told we could show up anytime during dining. When we got there around 7 we where told that we had to sit at a table with other guests and could not be seated at a table for two. So from that night on we reserved a dining time so that my husband and i could have a table for two which kinda defeats the my time dining. Also we where never asked if we would like drinks. On Disney your assistant server always served drinks and usually after the first night the drinks are waiting on the table when you arrive for dinner. On Royal they have a separate person walking around that we had to flag down just to get a soda. *Soda is also an extra charge and is not free as it is on Disney. By the time we got our soda we where already halfway through our meal. Not once did we ever meet our Head Server and the last night was told to leave his tip envelope on the table and he would get it. We where not the only ones as everyone around us asked where he was and was told to leave their tip envelope on the table. On Disney we where always greeted by our Head server every night and asked if there was anything we needed. My husband and I enjoyed the adult only pool area and apparently RC doesn't have strict rules about kids swimming in the pools and hot tubs. Kids where everywhere and never asked to leave. Drink servers where nowhere to be found. We had to ask the towel guy to please send over someone who could take drink orders as us and 15 other couples wanted something to drink from the bar. Disney we are constantly being asked if we would like a drink. The bars on the pool deck on RC where not even open and it was the middle of the afternoon. There are no drink stations on the pool decks nor places to get food. You have to go to the buffet if you want any kind of food or non alcoholic drinks or go to Deck 5 in the promenade. Disney has an area where you can get pizza, sandwich, hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken fingers, fruit, etc. all on the pool deck. Royal Caribbean also has you check out towels on the pool deck and if you don't bring them back and get your card swiped u will be charged $25 per towel. Seriously? Disney has towels in a bin you can take as many as you need and throw them in a towel bin when you are finished. On RC we had to wait in line to get a towel and swipe our card then stand in line to return our towel and swipe our card. The staff on Disney is like no other. RC the staff was friendly but didn't do anything that we can say was excellent. Disney we have always found is excellent and aims to please in every way. I was watching the dining staff when a family had children and there was no interaction with the kids. No magic tricks at the table for the kids and no one was offering to pour ketchup or cut up the kids food. In the end my husband and I both agreed the extra money for the Disney Cruise is so worth it in the end.

Since you had My Time Dining, your tips were prepaid. I am surprised you were asked to leave a tip envelope for the head waiter, as he would automatically receive his tip.

One thing I like about the anytime dining concept is being seated with different people at dinner. Tables for two are harder to come by, even on DCL, so you do need to either wait for one or reserve it ahead.

I cruise for the itinerary more than the cruise line/ship, and I had a great Canada cruise on Explorer of the Seas in 2008. It's too bad you didn't love your RCI cruise, but at least you know what you prefer.

My husband and I and my 2 kids have been on 7 Disney Cruises. Our last one being last November on the Disney Dream. We had a great time but thought after the cruise with our kids getting older (DD 9, DS 11) and the rising costs of Disney Cruise Line we would try another cruise line. So we booked a RC Cruise this Nov. 2012 but decided that just me and my husband would go on a 5 night on RC in April to get an idea of what it would be like before taking the kids. Well needless to say the day we got home from our 5 night cruise I cancelled our 7 night Eastern on RC and booked a 4 night Disney Dream cruise for the same week in Nov. The price of the 7 night Eastern was $200.00 more than the 4 night Disney Dream but I have to say I will sacrifice the 3 days lost for almost the same price then sacrifice all that Disney Cruise Line offers. So now that we are spoiled sailing on Disney it looks like our family will be sailing only Disney Cruise Line. Just thought I would share my opinion/experience.....

You didn't mention if your cruise visited any ports?

One more question. I see you're from New Jersey. Did you notice a lot of people from New Jersey on your RCL cruise?

Mike

One more question. I see you're from New Jersey. Did you notice a lot of people from New Jersey on your RCL cruise?

Mike

Actually No. There was people from all over. Met a lot of Canadians on the cruise. There was a couple from Canada that got married in Bermuda and had over 50 people on board for their wedding.

Sorry you had a so so experience with Royal- We had the best servers on Freedom a couple of years ago! We had a dedicated Assistant Server who had rolls and drinks at the table immediately they were by far the best service team I've had on a cruise. (although we didn't do the anytime dining- we had 8 for a late seating table)

Sorry you had a so so experience with Royal- We had the best servers on Freedom a couple of years ago! We had a dedicated Assistant Server who had rolls and drinks at the table immediately they were by far the best service team I've had on a cruise. (although we didn't do the anytime dining- we had 8 for a late seating table)

My best experience with dining room servers was a tie between the Wonder in January 2008 and RCI's Adventure of the Seas in March 2008. My worst experience with dining room servers was on the Wonder in Dec. 2009, followed by our Dream servers in Feb. 2011. I hope DCL has their act together on the Fantasy in Dec. 2012!

Since you had My Time Dining, your tips were prepaid. I am surprised you were asked to leave a tip envelope for the head waiter, as he would automatically receive his tip.

One thing I like about the anytime dining concept is being seated with different people at dinner. Tables for two are harder to come by, even on DCL, so you do need to either wait for one or reserve it ahead.

I cruise for the itinerary more than the cruise line/ship, and I had a great Canada cruise on Explorer of the Seas in 2008. It's too bad you didn't love your RCI cruise, but at least you know what you prefer.

We did prepay our tips but they give you a voucher that you put in the envelopes to give to the staff. My husband and I wanted time to ourselves and preferred a table for two. Nothing against sitting with other people. Our first night we sat with other people but with our kids ages 9 and 11 there are few times we get to have dinner alone.
On our Disney Cruises we have gone with friends and been seated together and then the times we went with just our family we got seated with just the four of us.
Overall I prefer Disney over Royal but my parents are taking us all on Explorer next year to celebrate my Dad's 70th. My kids will then have their own experience on another cruise line for the first time and then I can see what they think. :)

That's great to know! Maybe if we did a scheduled dining time things would have been smoother in that area. I know Explorer is an older ship and the Freedom class has more to offer.

We did prepay our tips but they give you a voucher that you put in the envelopes to give to the staff. My husband and I wanted time to ourselves and preferred a table for two. Nothing against sitting with other people. Our first night we sat with other people but with our kids ages 9 and 11 there are few times we get to have dinner alone.
On our Disney Cruises we have gone with friends and been seated together and then the times we went with just our family we got seated with just the four of us.
Overall I prefer Disney over Royal but my parents are taking us all on Explorer next year to celebrate my Dad's 70th. My kids will then have their own experience on another cruise line for the first time and then I can see what they think. :)

I have had anytime dining on Princess and HAL, but not RCI (yet). I don't know how you could be expected to give the dining room staff tip vouchers with MTD because you could have different servers each night. Therefore, on Princess and HAL, there are no vouchers to be given to your servers or cabin steward.

That's great to know! Maybe if we did a scheduled dining time things would have been smoother in that area. I know Explorer is an older ship and the Freedom class has more to offer.

I think you will almost always get better and more personable service when you choose the fixed dining times rather than anytime dining - unless you reserve a table in the same servers' section each night with MTD. However, I love the flexibility of eating when I want, or even skipping the dining room and eating in the buffet or elsewhere. I have upcoming cruises on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, and I'm looking forward to trying My Time Dining on both ships.

We just came of the Fantasy's third cruise 4/14 Western, also did the Allure of the seas this past February, must say we loved the Allure also had my time dining & found it a pleasure! We were a family of 5 on the Allure and were always seated rapidly! Also loved Johnny Rockets, Rita's Cantina & Chops! Went on the Carnival Dream with 6 in December also had there version of my time dining again very good experience!

Loved the Aqua Duck & the New show in Animator's Palate, would love Disney to open Cabana's as a Buffet for Dinner as an option (yes it is open for table service.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter