• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancellation questions

tink20

DIS Veteran
Cancellation question. If I booked a pkg. for Sept., and a hurricane is going to hit Orlando, or where we live (the Gulf Coast) when its time for our trip, and I decide not to go, how much do I loose? (cancelling just a few days before the trip)

Do I loose anything if I reschedule for Feb (I know I would loose Free Dining)

If we purchased the trip insurance, how much would I loose if I cancelled with short notice?

Thanks, I am trying to decide: first week of this Sept or first week of Feb '14.:confused3 Do you think crowd wise, they are pretty comparable? I know weather wise, they are not.

Disney's policy appears to be - if a hurricane is coming and your flight is cancelled, they will waive their cancellation fee policy regardless of whether you have insurance or not. If a hurricane is coming and your flight is NOT cancelled and you decide to cancel anyway, their cancellation policy will kick in. Standard policy for a package, if you cancel, you lose $200 deposit. If you re-schedule, there is a $50 change fee if your new package costs less than your original one.

Buying insurance won't matter if you decide not to go simply because you THINK a hurricane will affect your trip. The hurricane will actually HAVE to affect your trip in order for your insurance claim to be valid. So, if you are going in September, I would buy the insurance simply because, even if you make it down for the trip, if a hurricane should hit while you are there, it could affect your flight home and you could get stuck in Orlando. This happened to a friend of mine during Sandy this year - she was on DCL and got stuck in Orlando for four days because she couldn't get a flight back to NJ - cost her a fortune.

Also, it is rare that a hurricane could effect your entire trip. They blow through pretty quickly and Disney is fairly well prepared.

I go cruising through hurricane season because it is so inexpensive, they sail around them and if you do encounter bad weather, it does not last long and they add all kinds of extra activities to compensate for it.

Sorry, should have mentioned, we are driving from AL. So no flight to worry about. I just don't want to go, if say, the hurricane is going to hit Orlando or where we live. We live on the coast, so we do get hurricanes sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter