• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canceling Boardwalk and moving to Swan within 12 days of trip, what issues should I be aware of?

jessandtwo

Mouseketeer
I just saw that we can move to the Swan for $500 less than our current Boardwalk room. We arrive in 12 days. Both rooms would be standard views for 4. I only have a room only reservation at Boardwalk so I can still cancel without a penalty.

Normally saving $500 is a no brainer, but I’m concerned about what happens to our current fast passes, etc if I cancel the Disney reservation. I’d link the Swan to my account before I canceled but I worry it will cause a cluster and I’ll just wish we paid the $500 more.

We’re only going for a couple of days before our cruise, but can anyone give me pros/cons/advice?

You should be fine, especially if you await cancellation for after you link the Swan reservation.

I just switched us from YCCL to Swan standard to save $1600. FPs are intact. I even called today because MDE showed only my name (but not kids) on the Swan reservation. CM confirmed that it wouldn't affect FPs for my kids because they know there is some wonkiness in linking all names from SD reservations.

There shouldn't be any issues. Definitely link the Swan to your reservation first before cancelling the Boardwalk. If you had planned to use the Magical Express to get to the hotel you no longer will be able to and will have to find a different way from the airport. If you wanted the dining plan you won't be able to have it there either. The Swan won't have magic bands, but I think you would have already received them from your current reservation so you could just bring those they'd still work. The Swan has hotel fees and parking fees (if you're driving and they are different in price than Disney's I believe) so you'll want to factor those costs into the over all price.

I personally like the themeing better at the Disney hotels, but have stayed many times at the Swan and Dolphin for the cheaper rates.

The Swan won't have magic bands, but I think you would have already received them from your current reservation so you could just bring those they'd still work.

Yes, if you already received your Magic Bands, or have Magic Bands from prior trips for the same MDE account, or buy Magic Bands when you get there and enter the info into your MDE account -- the Magic Bands will work for park entry, Fastpass touchpoints and Photopass. The Magic Bands will not work for charging purchases or for opening your hotel room door. (OP might already know this, but just thought I would clarify.)

I just saw that we can move to the Swan for $500 less than our current Boardwalk room. We arrive in 12 days. Both rooms would be standard views for 4. I only have a room only reservation at Boardwalk so I can still cancel without a penalty.

Normally saving $500 is a no brainer, but I’m concerned about what happens to our current fast passes, etc if I cancel the Disney reservation. I’d link the Swan to my account before I canceled but I worry it will cause a cluster and I’ll just wish we paid the $500 more.

We’re only going for a couple of days before our cruise, but can anyone give me pros/cons/advice?

If you are going to do the switch, I would do it ASAP as it sometimes takes 24 hours for the Swan reservation to load in MDE. Once the reservation is linked, I would then cancel BWI. You shouldn't have any issues with FP+ as Swan receives 60 day FP+ privileges. I would take a screen shot of your FP+ before the switch just in case you have to contact IT.

You may already be aware that you will no longer be eligible for Disney's Magical Express. If you were planning on taking DME from the airport, you will need to factor in new transportation costs into your totals. It certainly won't cost $500 to travel between the airport and hotel, just something to keep in mind. Also, make sure you've factored in the resort fee into your totals to see if the overall savings is really that good. We love both resorts and you can't go wrong either way, IMHO!

Thanks, we did receive magic bands, I wasn’t sure if they’d still work. But we also have old ones from last summer that we could use.

We weren’t using magical express so that’s not an issue.

No dining plan, we were only doing quick service since we are only there for such a short time.

The savings is after all the resort fees, etc at the Swan. I’m so torn.

We have stayed at, and like both. If you are going to Epcot, Swan is a slightly longer walk, but not a huge deal.

If you have AAA, you can get 20% off Swan/Dolphin dining, which could make eating TS worth considering. Conversely, you might think about the 'savings' as a means to offset the cost of joining AAA.

I always second guess my decisions when it comes to this stuff myself. Believe me, I had 3 different resorts booked before our cruise this past April. Think of it this way, that $500 could be spent on an excursion or splurge on specialty dining on the cruise. Heck, it can cover the cost of your gratuities. Both resorts are deluxe so it's not like you are switching from a Deluxe to value resort. I've not stayed at the Swan but I almost booked it the night before our cruise so it was on my short list.

Thanks, we did receive magic bands, I wasn’t sure if they’d still work. But we also have old ones from last summer that we could use.

We weren’t using magical express so that’s not an issue.

No dining plan, we were only doing quick service since we are only there for such a short time.

The savings is after all the resort fees, etc at the Swan. I’m so torn.

If there was no aspect of your trip that relied on you being onsite, it sounds like a good move to me. I don't know what the pool situation is at Swan, and I don't know if you planned on swimming, but for me the superfun slide at the BW pool would be a consideration.

If there was no aspect of your trip that relied on you being onsite, it sounds like a good move to me. I don't know what the pool situation is at Swan, and I don't know if you planned on swimming, but for me the superfun slide at the BW pool would be a consideration.

I believe the Swan and Dolphin share pools. I think there are 2 lap pools plus a grotto pool with waterfalls and waterslide.

Lovely pools at both swan and dolphin and the pool bar at the Dolphin is terrific. There is a great daily happy hour at the blue zoo bar (drink and food specials) from 5 to 7 I think. When we were staying at the Dolphin in February there was very good live music on Friday starting at 7 pm.

I think the beds and linens at swandolphin are better than Disney deluxe. Comfort beats theme for me any day of the week. Walk to the boardwalk for drinks, good, entertainment. Use some of that $500 yo gave a good meal at Ale and Compass at YC and a drink at the Belle Vue lounge at the boardwalk and soak up the atmosphere.

I guess my question is, what were you planning on doing at BWI that you couldn't do at the Swan? Whenever we stay at Swan/Dolphin we still head over to the Boardwalk in the evenings for ice cream and the entertainment. IMHO, it really comes down to theming and pools. Don't get me wrong, I love the clown slide, but I wouldn't spend $500 extra to go on it. And, yes, the BWI rooms are really cute, but you will get very comfortable queen beds and some extra amenities at the Swan (resort fee gets you bottled water, Starbuck's coffee, a ride in a Swan boat and s'mores kits!). I would pocket the $500 and give the Swan a try.

Agree! Stay at the Swan and enjoy spending the $500 in savings elsewhere. The grotto pool and water slide are very nice. Their heavenly bedding is super comfortable. The desire for magical express, magic bands, dining plan, or a “first and only WDW visit” would skew towards BW but these are all non issues here.
FWIW, if the savings was only $100 or even $200, I’d probably stay put. But $500 savings for a comparable location and no loss of FPs seems worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter