• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canadians Using travelocity.ca BEWARE!

Dawnywog

Mouseketeer
Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up on the problems I just encountered incase any of you book with travelocity.ca :headache:

So, I've been trying to book 4 plane tickets for my September trip to the World. I usually just book airlines tickets direct with the airlines but this time since I wanted to use a different airline for the return flight home I though it would just be easier to book both through travelocity.ca

I put the money in advance plus some on my credit card and waited for the payment to be processed before I tried booking. I knew what credit I had on my card.

So travelocity.ca gives me a price of $1636 CAD for 4 tickets from Halifax to Orlando and I know I have at least $1800 credit on my card but it comes up declined.

I'm all in a panic :scared1: thinking something is wrong with my card & I called the credit card company to verify my available credit, etc.
After hours on the phone we finally figured out that travelocity was billing the credit card $1636 US which out it in at over $1900. Not such a good price on the tickets.

So I ended up just booking directly with the airlines and saving the booking fee travelocity charges anyway. I sent an email to travelocity explaining what happened but I haven't heard back from them.

Make sure if you book with travelocity.ca that your credit card was charged in Canadian dollars like they quote, not American dollars.

I hope this was just a glitch and it doesn't happen to everyone, but I had tried to book over 3 different days and my credit card company said each different time they were charging in USD. :confused3

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up .

WHAT! That's horrible! Shouldn't there be a consumer watch beware on this? Thanks for the heads up!

I too hope that this is just a glitch for you. I was thinking of booking through Expedia or Travelocity but not if they aren't charging you as advertised, i.e. if it says in Cdn$ then your credit card should be charged Cdn$.

Dawnywog - did you ever get a reply back from Travelocity? I am sure everyone would be interested to hear the outcome.

I got a very short replay from Travelocity saying that they're looking into the situation and will let me know when they have more information. :confused3

I wonder how many people this has happened to and perhaps not noticed or maybe thought that there was an extra fee added on....
That is definitely not a good thing! Thanks for brining this to our attention!

That's the thing. If I hadn't been carrying a balance on my credit card already :rolleyes1 the charge would have been accepted and I don't know how long it would have taken me to notice.

So, I guess sometimes there's something to be said for having debt :laughing:

That's the thing. If I hadn't been carrying a balance on my credit card already :rolleyes1 the charge would have been accepted and I don't know how long it would have taken me to notice.

So, I guess sometimes there's something to be said for having debt :laughing:

Hahaha - that is so funny and so true!!!

Just back from vacation so I know exactly what you mean. :rotfl:

I got a very short replay from Travelocity saying that they're looking into the situation and will let me know when they have more information. :confused3

Well, in a word: "lame". That sounds like such a feeble excuse. They're looking into the situation seems to be a standard phrase. Let's hope you get some answers. Like others have posted, I too wonder how long they have been doing this and whether customers just put it down to fees and taxes. I'm really glad you brought it too our attention and that you are pursuing answers. :thumbsup2

I bought our plane tickets for Sepember through travelocity.ca and the price was listed in CAD.

The statement for the CC that I used arrived this week and the amount I was charged was the amount quoted in CAD.

When I was planning my last trip I did note that the Canadian site listed prices in Canadian dollars but when booking it did state USD after the price. It is the same on travelocity and expedia

I found it was very clear that I was paying in US Dollars. I'm sorry the OP did not notice that when they completed their transaction.

When I was planning my last trip I did note that the Canadian site listed prices in Canadian dollars but when booking it did state USD after the price. It is the same on travelocity and expedia

I found it was very clear that I was paying in US Dollars. I'm sorry the OP did not notice that when they completed their transaction.

I recentely booked a flight through travelocity, and it was stated as in Canadian Dollars throughout the entire process, and did charge me in Canadian dollars, so Im not sure where you see it being clear that you would pay US dollars on a Canadian site...

:eek: That's not good! I think, since it's a .ca site, it should say right beside the amount "USD" if it's US dollars!

The first time we went, we booked a package through travelocity because we didn't know anything about Disney hotels/flights/etc. I think they're fine if everything goes smoothly but if there's a problem they offer little-to-no customer service. Also, I found you're not treated the same as customers who book directly with airlines & hotels, and you don't get any hotel points if you're someone who collects things like Holiday Inn Priority POints. Now I use travelocity to find out what hotels there are in the area I'm travelling to, then book them directly through the hotel (which actually gives you a better price, most of the time anyway). I've only booked flights directly with the airlines since, and have been much happier.

When I was completing the process to pay I noticed it switched to USD. It happened on the last two trips.

Travelocity never quoted me in USD. When I was on the phone with my credit card company and trying to figure out why my card wasn't working I had travelocity up and was trying it while the lady at the credit card company was on the phone with me.

The final page on travelocity where you enter your credit card # very clearly stated "You will be charged CAD $1632 when you complete this reservation."
This is the last step when it is submitted to the credit card and the woman at the credit card company confirmed that Travelocity was submitting a price of $1632 US.

The lady at my credit card company was trying to be very helpful. She told me she could get the approval department to approve the $1632 US even though it would put me over my limit. I was like NOOOOOOOOO :scared1: I was buying from there because I liked the price they quoted me in Canadian dollars not in US dollars.

At this point I was fed up with travelocity and just decided to forget it. So, I kept the credit card lady on the phone with me while I booked directly with United to make sure that the price there woould come up right. She did confirm that United also billed them in USD , but in amount that was less that the quoted price in Canadian dollars so that when they did the conversion it worked out to the quoted price and my credit card was approved because I was within my limit.

Thanks so much for keeping us in the loop Dawnywog. If it weren't for your post I doubt I would have paid very close attention to something such as you experienced. I know I'll be focusing on any purchases for my trips and going over them with a fine toothed comb.

The same thing happened to us!!! I which I had seen this post before using Travelocity.ca. We were given a price of $1,866.30 CAD and send a confirmation which unknown to us showed (in tiny letters) that is was US$. It wasn't until we got our credit card bill that we clued in...totally horried! We called them and spend the morning on the phone, where put on hold several times, finally after 1 1/2 (final hold to speak with "corporate") were were disconnected on their end. We are now disputing this charges through our credit card company process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter