Canadians Cannot Be Adventure Insiders

disneymath

DIS Veteran
We took our first ABD trip back in August 2011 (Alaskan cruise add-on), but it wasn't until recently that I even realized that we should be Adventure Insiders.

When I tried to sign up online last night, I couldn't. (Was not able to change country from US, nor was I able to select my province even thiugh that field is titled state/province.)

So i sent and email and got a reply saying unfortunately Canadians could not be part of the insiders club. (But to please contact them if I needed help booking my next adventure.:sad2:) Disappointed to say the least.

I've replied to ask why not, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask here also.

We loved our ABD experience, and are considering the London post cruise add-on to our Iceland/Norway trip, so I'm definitely not bashing ABD ... just bummed that as Canadians we're kind of left out in the cold.

I'm finding the US centredness of Disney quite old fashioned and I think it should change. Are they welcoming of everyone or are they just a global company for US citizens? Another example to the one you gave - Disney timeshare resorts will send guests a text when their room is ready, with the room number....but only to US numbers!! As if it is a big deal to text a Canadian phone! Hello?!

It could have to deal with laws about offers that can be provided to Canadian citizens, etc.

It could have to deal with laws about offers that can be provided to Canadian citizens, etc.

Maybe, but I'm thinking not likely as we get / are legally eligible for almost all other Disney stuff ... PIN codes, promos, contests, DCL special offers, even DVC stuff (advertising, webinars, etc.) in Ontario (where I'm from). Can't see what ABD offers that isn't similarly offered to Canadians by other arms of the company. :confused3

I'm finding the US centredness of Disney quite old fashioned and I think it should change. Are they welcoming of everyone or are they just a global company for US citizens? Another example to the one you gave - Disney timeshare resorts will send guests a text when their room is ready, with the room number....but only to US numbers!! As if it is a big deal to text a Canadian phone! Hello?!

Hmm, never realized that was the case, but do agree that it doesn't seem like that big a deal .... Especially if we specifically opt in to room texts.

Maybe, but I'm thinking not likely as we get / are legally eligible for almost all other Disney stuff ... PIN codes, promos, contests, DCL special offers, even DVC stuff (advertising, webinars, etc.) in Ontario (where I'm from). Can't see what ABD offers that isn't similarly offered to Canadians by other arms of the company. :confused3
ABD is a separate company from DCL and DVC. I'm pretty certain they have their own licensing, own operating rules, etc. That's one reason why the communication between ABD and DCL is so rough for the cruise add-ons.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with where they are licensed to market and sell. It's a legal thing. If you look at the website and the brochures, Canadians can't book directly with the ABD Vacationistas, either. You have to book through a Travel Agent. Heck, I remember people talking about how many issues ABD had even sending the pre-departure boxes to Canada! I really don't think they're trying to be exclusionary.

Sayhello

ABD is a separate company from DCL and DVC. I'm pretty certain they have their own licensing, own operating rules, etc. That's one reason why the communication between ABD and DCL is so rough for the cruise add-ons.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with where they are licensed to market and sell. It's a legal thing. If you look at the website and the brochures, Canadians can't book directly with the ABD Vacationistas, either. You have to book through a Travel Agent. Heck, I remember people talking about how many issues ABD had even sending the pre-departure boxes to Canada! I really don't think they're trying to be exclusionary.

Sayhello

Hmmm ... we had none of those issues ... but probably booked our Alaska add-on through DCL not ABD. (I know for sure it was Disney direct and not a TA.)

Our pre-departure box got here fine, but I think I had to call post cruise about our CD of guide-taken photos. (We did get it though.)

You're probably right that it's some legal thing; hopefully I'll get an official reply. (Still a bummer no matter the reason.)

Hmmm ... we had none of those issues ... but probably booked our Alaska add-on through DCL not ABD. (I know for sure it was Disney direct and not a TA.)

Our pre-departure box got here fine, but I think I had to call post cruise about our CD of guide-taken photos. (We did get it though.)

You're probably right that it's some legal thing; hopefully I'll get an official reply. (Still a bummer no matter the reason.)
I totally agree it's a bummer! ::yes::

The cruise add-ons, although *run* by ABD, are administrated by DCL, so their policies apply for those.

Sayhello

Australians can't be Adventure Insiders either. I was a bit put out by this - how hard is it to send an email internationally.....

Australians can't be Adventure Insiders either. I was a bit put out by this - how hard is it to send an email internationally.....

So true ... hopefully as ABD continues to grow in popularity with families outside the US, they will take steps to include non-US citizens in the "club".

Things like the "day early booking" benefit would be very nice!

Also, apparently Disney monitors this site, so maybe this thread will help steer them in the right direction ... we can always hope anyhow! :goodvibes

Canadian and Australian laws are very strict regarding the solicitation to sell travel and giving away "prizes".

The DIS often has contests and we are not allowed to award prizes to Canadians. The same is true of Australians.

Another reason is that a customs charge would be incurred and it's often higher than the value of the prize

Because Adventure Insiders sends out "gifts" to it's members, this is considered "solicitation to travel" and it violates Canadian law.

Back when ABD sent out CDs of the pictures from an Adventure, Canadian citizens most often did not receive it. They were either turned away or sat in Customs for months and months.

Disney would love to do the same advertising and promotions in all parts of the world. Canadian and Australian laws prohibit that.

But then laws are different all over. I am not allowed to offer travel insurance to residents of the state of Washington.

Thanks so much for the explanation, Kevin! :thumbsup2 I figured it was something like that.

Sayhello

Some contests say, in the fine print, potential winners living in some areas (parts of Canada) have to answer a skill question prior to being awarded their prize. I understand the skill question is a math question. Whats 2 + 1 is an example of such a "skill" question.

That doesn't solve the issue of customs diverting promotional items.

I'll speculate Disney decided it's not worth going through the steps necessary to comply with foreign laws.

Canadian and Australian laws are very strict regarding the solicitation to sell travel and giving away "prizes".

The DIS often has contests and we are not allowed to award prizes to Canadians. The same is true of Australians.

Another reason is that a customs charge would be incurred and it's often higher than the value of the prize

Because Adventure Insiders sends out "gifts" to it's members, this is considered "solicitation to travel" and it violates Canadian law.

Back when ABD sent out CDs of the pictures from an Adventure, Canadian citizens most often did not receive it. They were either turned away or sat in Customs for months and months.

Disney would love to do the same advertising and promotions in all parts of the world. Canadian and Australian laws prohibit that.

But then laws are different all over. I am not allowed to offer travel insurance to residents of the state of Washington.

Thank you for the reply. I know some provinces of Canada have stricter laws than others regarding these things. (For example, Quebec residents are not eligible for US-based contests if the materials are not provided in French - there may be finer details to it than that, but I don't know all the details.)

What I find strange is that DVC has made an effort to work with provinces whose laws allow them to ... Ontario and Alberta (I believe) ... and DCL sometimes offers Canadian promotions. Yes, these are separate companies from ABD, but they are all under the Disney umbrella. I think, as Lewisc posted, it probably comes down to ABD not feeling its worthwhile to meet whatever conditions various Canadian / Australian / other nation laws stipulate. :confused3

Like I mentioned in my OP, we loved our ABD experience and plan to take more trips in the future ... this really is the only negative I have about them.

I did get a reply from ABD today ... but it was pretty much a canned response. (I basically asked if there was any particular reason Canadians were not eligible for ABD Insiders and mentioned Canadians not typically being excluded from Disney stuff.) The response I got follows:

6/19/14

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting Adventures by Disney!

We appreciate your feedback and your comments have been shared with the appropriate members of management.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Have a Magical Day!

XXXXX
Email Communications Correspondent
Adventures by Disney

Thanks Sayhello and DisneyKevin for your input ... it was certainly more informative than ABD's response. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter