Canadians 1st time@ 4 nights Grand Californian and Genie plus during busiest day of the year so far! (April 8-12/22)

Stitchfarm

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone- thought I would write a bit about my thoughts on our trip to Disneyland as I have a 4 hour delay at the airport and time on my hands lol. I appreciated the wealth of info on this site and learned so much before we left. This won’t be super detailed, but just my thoughts on hotel and genie plus!
We stayed from April 8-12 in a Woods view room at Grand Californian. People had mentioned these rooms were small, but I thought they made great use of space for our family of 4 (kids 8y, 9y), and loved having a balcony for morning coffees. We even had decent firework views! As mentioned in other threads I read, the biggest downfall of the rooms is probably lack of side tables for the person sleeping closest to the walls in the 2 queen rooms. We loved the atmosphere of the hotel, the staff was all lovely, and while we only got housekeeping once, that didn’t bother us much. We used the pool area which is amazing, and the exclusive entrance to CA is so handy. This was a splurge trip that we have saved up for a few years, so I have no idea how we would go back and not stay at the Grand again .. we just truly enjoyed it.
We did not specifically rope drop any of the 3 full days we were there (the 4th was an arrival half day), but got to the parks around 830am. We found this to be fine as I didn’t want to mad dash to any rides, and we had budgeted for genie plus and paid LLs for this holiday. If you can afford/ budget for these, it was really worth it for us, and I would do it again. We only did the paid LL rides once each- webslingers and RS were ok, we wouldn’t have paid or stood in line again for those ones. If we had had the time, we would probably have caught Rise again in the evening standby as we all loved it that much. I obsessed about being at DL at a non busy time, however covid got our household and we had to push our trip back a bit- so we caught the beginning of the areas spring break. Monday April 11 was specifically very busy. However, my kids and I did so much in the morning we didn’t feel we missed out on anything. Combining genie plus, one paid LL, and short standby lines with a few shows thrown in- by the time 1pm came and California Adventure was packed and genie plus times pushing out 2 hours, we were ready to head back to the hotel for pool time. We did Incredicoaster, Guardians, Monsters inc, Goofy sky school, Talks with Crush, Webslingers, TSM, Soarin, watched the Jammin Chef show, ate lunch, had churros, and explored a few shops in under 5 hours. So a 10 crowd day can easily feel successful. But lines were crazy long when we left. 2 hours for Soarin. 80 min Webslingers. 50 min little mermaid! I would love to come back during a lower crowd time.
All in all, we had a lovely trip. We used mobile ordering for quick service as well and had no issues. Yes, I was on my phone more often, but I feel in the end it helped keep our wait times down and kept us more efficient. I loved the location service on the app map.
Anyways, thanks again to everyone on this site for all the questions you ask and answers you give, research pays off and helped me pull off a core memory holiday for my kiddos ☺️

So good to hear you had a great trip despite the crowds!

Did you use mobile order/quick service for meals or did you do a lot of reservations?

Great trip review and sounds like you did pretty good all in all. Like you, we love the Grand Californian and have no issues with the rooms. It's the only place we stay. Love having the direct entrance -- especially so close to Grizzly River Run as it's only a short walk back to the room if you really get soaked, lol.

So good to hear you had a great trip despite the crowds!

Did you use mobile order/quick service for meals or did you do a lot of reservations?
For breakfast, we utilized the Craftsman grill grab and go cereal, yogurt, coffee, etc to have in our room before we headed out for the day.
I managed to get reservations at Oga’s one night, a late morning brunch at Lamplight Lounge, and a late lunch at Trader Sams within the week before we left by just stalking the app at random times of day. Honestly, my hubby didn’t love either table service- the service wasn’t the best and his food came out lukewarm. We mobile ordered everything else quick service and had no issues with the order process itself, pickup, food, or finding a place to sit.

Great trip review and sounds like you did pretty good all in all. Like you, we love the Grand Californian and have no issues with the rooms. It's the only place we stay. Love having the direct entrance -- especially so close to Grizzly River Run as it's only a short walk back to the room if you really get soaked, lol.
Yes to this! I only wish it was close for splash too lol, we got much more wet on that one for some reason. And of course, it was my daughters favourite ride so we had to do it multiple times ;)

So glad you had a great trip! GCH is definitely worth it and it sounds like you soaked up some really special moments. Thanks for your post! 🤩

Glad you had a great trip! Our dates overlapped you some, we were there from the 6th to the 13th and our park days were the 7th and then the 10th, 11th and 12th. Did LA area stuff on the 8th and 9th. Lines were crazy for us too on the last 3 days, the 7th was really great, some lines but they were manageable but of course that was the 102 degree day.... :faint: Definitely the Spring Break crowds affected us but we still had fun. We did the Mobile order thing and that really worked well for us. We also did the paid LL's for 2 of them (Rise LL was sold out by 11am the day we tried that and we actually had gotten a little late start that day)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter