Canadian website prices...different from US Site?

Peaseblossom

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
I just ran my package through the US version of the WDW site by accident (using a different computer than normal) and it came out to be about$350 cheaper for a 4-night stay at AKL and the exact same package.

Why would that be? The currency conversion doesn't even begin to explain it. Please someone tell me we're not being...gouged. :headache: I'd hate to lose that lovin' feeling with just 10 days to my next trip.

Is there another explanation I'm not seeing?

I'm not sure I understand by 'the US version of the WDW site". What site have you been using before?

Was it this one?

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/

This is the only official WDW web site, as far as I know.

There are Canadian-specific versions of the Walt Disney World Resort site which can be accessed by visiting http://www.disneyworld.ca/.

However, they're not that different from the U.S. Version. The English-language Canadian version excludes some information from the U.S. Version not relevant to the Canadian market (such as information regarding Florida-Resident Special Offers or the Disney Rewards Visa Card from Chase). The French-language Canadian version does the same, while also providing general planning information for francophone guests.

Both sites use the English-language, U.S. Dollar-based booking system at http://www.disneyworld.com/ to process reservations. There is no separate Canadian booking system.

Thanks for that information! I didn't know about that site, and I've been booking trips through Disney for years!! But through the American site. Just goes to show ya: you learn something new every day.

But still would love to know how the OP could get 2 quotes that are SO different.

We book our stuff on the US site with our USD credit card. I first noticed this when we were booking a Carnival cruise last year- the Canadian Website that offered prices in CAD and charged to credit cards in CAD was significantly more money than the US site. The websites haven't caught up with the times regarding the exchange rate. I do this for travelocity and expedia too - even for trips within Canada sometimes.

I've noticed when I was in the US, they would have US and CAD prices on things like books, but here in Canada, they only show the CAD price now (probably too many complaints about it!). I saw the most adorable Mickey Xmas ornament in Hallmark - US price $35, CAD price $44!! Should have bought it (regretting it now :sad1:)

Allie

As DTFVolunteer does, we too often book our stuff through US versions of websites in order to make some big savings. $350 is a LOT though, usually savings are in the tens of dollars. Perhaps there's additional costs companies incur when being booked through a Canadian based website (ie. Canadian taxes)? It's that, or gouging.

Well, I went to bed determined to call Disney today about it, but I can't seem to reproduce the original quote. I must have booked something differently, meal plan, tickets, something - it was my mistake, no evidence of gouging by the Mouse.

I'm suffering form a bad case of irate-consumer-itis after receiving a rather jaw-dropping phone bill from a big, bad telecomm giant (the red one). It doesn't take much to set me off these days!

Sorry for the false alarm.

Have you ever tried using Yak for you long distance calls? Google it and see if it would ease the pain (10-10-Yak)

GST applies on Canadian Bookings.. I am sure there are also provincial taxes applied. (in Ontario, HST)...

so it could reflect a 14% increase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter