Canadian Dollar is going to cancel our trip.

Threads like these drive me bonkers. Just curious, when you booked your bounceback vacation in September, did you think our dollar would be at par? It was already heading down at that point, and was at 70 cents. Did you not budget for at least a dollar that bad? We have 8 nights booked in June as a bounceback from our trip in September. We budgeted for a 70 cent dollar. This trip is going to cost us an extra $541 (give or take). I'm not cancelling my Disney trip for $500. Yes it sucks, but there is nowhere our family would rather go so it's still worth it. We will go, have an awesome time, and enjoy every bit of Disney we can soak in. And we'll probably book a bounceback then for this fall.

As a previous poster mentioned, the bounceback was available for value resorts - you just get the counter service plan instead of the regular dining plan. If the dollar is hurting you so much, just downgrade your hotel or stay less nights. It doesn't have to be everything or nothing. Just modify to fit your budget....

The CAD was trading at over 75 cents US back in September and didn't really go much below that until early December, it did not go under 70 cents until 2016. If you are going to blast the OP for this thread then use adequate facts. I think everyone has a different tipping point when it comes to the dollars fall.

Not everyone can afford the extra several hundred/thousands of dollars, so it's easy for you to say.

They booked in September when the dollar was trading at roughly $.75 which is what they should have been budgeting for at minimum (and again, should have been budgeting with the dollar even lower, since it is no shock that the dollar is dropping, since that's what it's been forecasted to do for quite some time). However, her point is - 1. people need to stop being so shocked at the extra cost, basically comparing their vacations to a par dollar. It hasn't been par in a couple years. And it's not ever going to be par again, at least not for a very, VERY long time. Reality is probably the best we can hope for is an $0.80 dollar and its going to take at least a few years to get there. So, to say that the trip is going to cost an extra $2000 really isn't an accurate statement, because in reality it's only going to cost $600(ish) more than it would have when they booked it, based on today's rate. Which yes, very true, is not something everyone can afford to sneeze at. However, her second point was - there are ways they could save that extra $600.

The best thing for Canadians to stop doing is looking at the difference in the money, especially comparing it to par value. If your vacation budget is $5000 CDN, then figure out a way to make Disney fit that, factoring in the exchange. If you can find a way to do it, then go. If you can't, then don't. It's also a matter of choosing what your priorities are: a fancy bedroom, or actually seeing Disney, staying a couple days less, or not going at all?

The CAD was trading at over 75 cents US back in September and didn't really go much below that until early December, it did not go under 70 cents until 2016. If you are going to blast the OP for this thread then use adequate facts. I think everyone has a different tipping point when it comes to the dollars fall.

However, even back in September the dollar forecast was for it to go below $0.70 and not recover until at least the end of 2016, so they really should have been thinking ahead to a dollar at least that low.

You know what drives ME bonkers? People who can't understand that people need to let off some steam, are upset that their vacation dollars aren't stretching as far as they used to, are worried that they may have to cancel. Some people may not see the value in spending almost twice as much for the vacation they take every year. Some people may want a place to discuss that with others without impatient people with an air of superiority over their perfect forecasting the current state of our economy. I'm not shocked. It's just hard to make the budget stretch. That's disappointing because it's somewhere we've gone once to twice a year since our kids were small. If anyone is so mortally offended that someone else is having difficulty with their vacation finances, maybe they could go read another thread.

It hasn't been par in a couple years. And it's not ever going to be par again, at least not for a very, VERY long time. Reality is probably the best we can hope for is an $0.80 dollar and its going to take at least a few years to get there.

I have stated the exact same thing on several threads in this forum - and I have actually compared our costs this upcoming trip to an 80 cent dollar as that is a realistically good dollar - the days of par were very nice but not sustainable - people have very short memories though it seems and we get spoiled quickly!

No kidding! At par was a fairly brief and rare occurrence and now folks are beside themselves cancelling because the dollar has slid back to where or close to where it had been for years prior? I don't get it. This really isn't anything new.

No kidding! At par was a fairly brief and rare occurrence and now folks are beside themselves cancelling because the dollar has slid back to where or close to where it had been for years prior? I don't get it. This really isn't anything new.

To be fair it's currently at its lowest level since 2003 (more than 10 years ago) so not really the same. .80 to .85 cents as a regular number is not .68 to .70 cents as it currently stands.

I will be fair and say, it is new in recent history. The dollar was near par for 7 out of the 10 past years, slumping a few times back into the 80s. But historically, our average was around $0.80 - not the numbers we're seeing now, and they're predicting record breaking lows - so this is unexpected, yes. But, I still say - the writing was on the wall by this time last year, when we were already paying out over $0.20 on the dollar. So I guess maybe for people who have only ever traveled when the dollar was near par, maybe it is pretty shocking. But, I guess the rest of us remember the "normal" times. Regardless, I still say - stop bothering with how much extra it's costing you because of the dollar, and just look at the total cost with regards to how it fits your budget. It either fits your budget or it doesn't.

I've only recently started travelling, and the dollar does make it hard to plan. What I find frustrating is the fluctuation, I book months in advance and expect it cost so much, then the dollar drops and drops, and suddenly it's a lot more than I expected. For me this is why being able to book in CAD is nicer, regardless of what the dollar does it doesn't change the bottom line. This is why I'm cruising on Royal Caribbean, they charge in CAD so I know what I'll be paying. I had planned on a week of Disney but now we are going to Disney for a few nights at the end of the cruise, the few days cost less than a whole week so the fluctuation means less difference. Does that make sense? I don't know, it works in my head. I had everything planned at costing me $1.30 per USD, but now it is closer to $1.50. I guess I should plan on $1.60 just to be safe! I've changed plans a few times, I booked the week in November and put $200 down, I cancelled it less than a month later and got back $13 more than I paid. I then rebooked last week for my two nights (as a package with a great deal) and it cost another $5. Any way. I will still go on trips, but they will be different than perhaps I would like.

It's not about being able to afford it, it's more about paying double for the same trip as in 2012.

This is exactly where I'm at. We're still going in April because its our Honeymoon but we've already swapped the Disney Cruise for a Royal Caribbean, and changed from deluxe hotels on either end to Moderate. Will probably be dropping down to value at the beginning of the trip .....I feel like I would even be ok with paying it if Disney was the one that jacked their prices, but I'm just throwing away 40% and that's the part I can't stomach.

This is exactly where I'm at. We're still going in April because its our Honeymoon but we've already swapped the Disney Cruise for a Royal Caribbean, and changed from deluxe hotels on either end to Moderate. Will probably be dropping down to value at the beginning of the trip .....I feel like I would even be ok with paying it if Disney was the one that jacked their prices, but I'm just throwing away 40% and that's the part I can't stomach.

The thing is Disney has jacked their prices - discounts are less as well as availability of rooms on discounts, tickets, food, etc. So factor in the exchange, it makes it harder and harder to stretch the vacation dollars there.

geergirl, how many of you are going and what level of resort are you staying at. I'm trying to figure out if this would be a possibility for me and a friend this coming December. The only way airmiles will tell you anything is if you call and ask and I'm not quite at that stage yet.

I paid off my trip just before Christmas before the dollar took another nose dive so while I hate where it's at now at least I know at this point that the money's already spent and all I have to worry about it spending money (I live in my own little happy world of denial of past expenditures ;) ). Realistically I'd like to see the dollar stay right around 80 Cents since that's good for my business (export fruit to the US).

The plus side is that apart from a "yay her braces are off" trip I've promised the youngest I've hit the point that the dollar is a good excuse to explore other destinations. I found out that the dollar stacks up pretty good to New Zealand currency so if I can suck up the cost of airfare maybe that's a dream vacation for 4 years out?! LOL

Oh my apologies, I didn't have time to go look up exact numbers - I was just going by the fact that I booked my trip in September and when I returned I planned my budget at a 70 cent dollar because that was where it was trending. So here are my numbers - I booked our trip on September 29 when the dollar was trading at 74 cents (or $1.34 CDN/USD). I planned our budget at a 70 cent dollar because news reports stated that our dollar was trending downwards and so I would be prepared to have enough money for our trip. If it didn't go down that far, then bonus. Friday our dollar closed at 71 cents (or $1.41 CDN/USD). With the US portion of our trip being $5500, that's an increase in cost of $385.00 CDN (but still on budget, actually under my budget using a 70 cent dollar. I can easily make up that money by dropping a day, cancelling a car and using Disney transport, or dropping a day in park tickets.

You know what drives ME bonkers? People who can't understand that people need to let off some steam, are upset that their vacation dollars aren't stretching as far as they used to, are worried that they may have to cancel. Some people may not see the value in spending almost twice as much for the vacation they take every year. Some people may want a place to discuss that with others without impatient people with an air of superiority over their perfect forecasting the current state of our economy. I'm not shocked. It's just hard to make the budget stretch. That's disappointing because it's somewhere we've gone once to twice a year since our kids were small. If anyone is so mortally offended that someone else is having difficulty with their vacation finances, maybe they could go read another thread.

And I was also venting - should I have started a whole new thread? How are you spending almost twice? As my analogy shows above, it's an extra $385.00 CDN compared to when the vacation was booked in September to now. The dollar has always been sub-par to the USD - so this is something that everyone (especially those travelling to Disney every year) should be aware of and budget for accordingly. The only person coming across with an "air of superiority" is you. I was merely pointing out that there are ways for the OP to keep their vacation - it's not all or nothing - cut down days, stay moderate or value or offsite, buy regular tickets over hoppers. Perhaps if you don't appreciate reading the comments of others, you should vacate to another thread. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

And I was also venting - should I have started a whole new thread? How are you spending almost twice? As my analogy shows above, it's an extra $385.00 CDN compared to when the vacation was booked in September to now. The dollar has always been sub-par to the USD - so this is something that everyone (especially those travelling to Disney every year) should be aware of and budget for accordingly. The only person coming across with an "air of superiority" is you. I was merely pointing out that there are ways for the OP to keep their vacation - it's not all or nothing - cut down days, stay moderate or value or offsite, buy regular tickets over hoppers. Perhaps if you don't appreciate reading the comments of others, you should vacate to another thread. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I felt you were rude in a manner that wasn't called for. I have no issue with your opinion, just your delivery, and told you. I'm sure the OP doesn't need us detracting further from his thread, so feel free to pm me if you feel this requires further discussion.

Personally I hate that the dollar is dropping and we are DVC members with a loan through Disney so the dues and monthly loan are kind of painful right now cause they are so much extra. We can't really do anything about it so we are dealing. But as for vacations I won't be cancelling anything. I am just going to find ways to make it more affordable. We are going to Hawaii in April to stay at Aulani with a stop in Disney for 5 days on the way back and will be going back to Disney again for a week in October. Luckily we booked our flights for April through Aeroplan miles (and were able to choose to stop in Orlando on the way home for free) so that helped a lot with costs and we do have our points to cover all but a few nights in Oct for our rooms (although like I said we are paying more for our DVC payments and dues). So because of the dollar what I did is sat back and said ok well I am not cancelling anything but how can I find ways to save us money. We will be getting an AP to cover both trips (plus we will go back to Disney during the start of next year for our 2017 trip using those). I bought a 10 day pass with park hoppers through Air Canada vacations because they were exchanging at a way better rate and I will update them when we get to Disney and calculated a savings of $80 each there. I cancelled all of our Table service reservations for April and decided we will not make any for Oct which will save a lot. So we will eat cheaply and save hundreds on food just between the two of us. We won't be going back to Universal until next year. And we are going to keep things simple on the trip and spending will be kept at a minimum. I would rather go and just enjoy being away, there are lots of ways to cut costs :)

So while yes it does suck because I know what we are used to paying it is what it is for us.

The dollar is killing me, but I'm turning 50 this year and I'm going to DLR no matter what. I'm using Airmiles for the PH tix and for the flights. I'll be able to use a military discount for the hotel, and when I get there, I'll upgrade my PH to an AP, and really only use cash for half the price, so that consoles me. I hope the dollar doesn't keep diving though, as that will cut into my souvie and meal money. I think it's hard for sure, but our country's weathered the dip before and we'll do so again.

I supposed the declining dollar bothers some travelers more than others. If you have been going every year (as we have) for the past several years - then yes you will feel the difference. Whether we got spoiled or not with our near at par $, WDW vacation has become more and more every year. Add to that the fact that each year we paid on average $200 more than the year before just due to a rate increase, and yes our vacation in 2016 would easily cost us double it did in 2012.
There are ways to make it cheaper for sure. You can stay off site, stay at a lesser level of resort (value v. moderate), stay less nights, drive etc. It's doable but then your vacation packs less value than it did before. For us this year, that extra few hundred compared to last year will push us to go to the Caribbean to an all-inclusive resort. We still plan to go back to WDW even if the dollar sucks, but it just won't be every year and we may look off-site.
Bottom line everyone has a right to their own opinion and to be unhappy about the situation. Our economy isn't the greatest overall and that's nothing to be happy about!

We never bother with a car for the entire week if we are onsite cause we don't need it. That has always saved us huge. If we didn't have DVC we would stay at a value because by the time you factor in the costs of rental/gas/parking it seems to balance out. But getting a value can save a lot of money. Driving is a great suggestion too cause that can save the difference in what you are losing :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter