Canadian Dollar is going to cancel our trip.

I've been starting to pay off our upcoming October trip the past few weeks. The dollar is slowly moving up. I've already saved SOME money from my original projected budget (based on the low dollar at that time) , plus by using my Amazon Visa, I've already earned $100 cash back, which in turn has gone to my payments :)

My financial stress is slowly fading :)

Dollar was over $0.79 us yesterday. But who knows who to believe anymore about what the dollar is going to do. Every expert that I have read over the past 3 months have been completely wrong. The last one I read was from Scotia bank and they believed that the dollar has more room to improve. Is this a sign that it is going to tank again?!? :scared::badpc:

Dollar was over $0.79 us yesterday. But who knows who to believe anymore about what the dollar is going to do. Every expert that I have read over the past 3 months have been completely wrong. The last one I read was from Scotia bank and they believed that the dollar has more room to improve. Is this a sign that it is going to tank again?!? :scared::badpc:

Currency exchange rates are notoriously volatile. Even worse than stock markets. Nobody knows what the exchange rate will be in 6 months, or even which direction it will go in. When the CAD is trending down, forecasters will "forecast" continued weakness. When it reaches their target forecast, they lower their targets. They keep doing this until some geopolitical or macro economic event occurs that causes the trend to change. Then they start the same process in reverse, "forecasting" that the CAD will continue to rise to some moving target. Rinse and repeat.

The really hilarious part is that somebody apparently pays them to do this.

Booked a BB last year that we thought had a 1% chance of being used. Well that 1% came true. Booked Southwest flights last night for $204 return. Adjusted the dates for our BB. 7 of us for 10 nights at Pop. The upswing of the CDN dollar has taken us from over $2k over budget to just under budget. Now if only they could send me a Dole Whip in the mail to celebrate.

The worst part of the changing exchange rate is that part of my income is in US dollars and I've been having to decide between changing while the Canadian dollar is weak, or hoarding it until the trip. I ended up deciding on hoarding, and already it's cost me a few hundred dollars as the exchange rate gets better for most of us...

Currency exchange rates are notoriously volatile. Even worse than stock markets. Nobody knows what the exchange rate will be in 6 months, or even which direction it will go in. When the CAD is trending down, forecasters will "forecast" continued weakness. When it reaches their target forecast, they lower their targets. They keep doing this until some geopolitical or macro economic event occurs that causes the trend to change. Then they start the same process in reverse, "forecasting" that the CAD will continue to rise to some moving target. Rinse and repeat.

The really hilarious part is that somebody apparently pays them to do this.

To steal a line from Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory - Economics. The Kardasian of the scientific world.

Canadian, Disney still love us... They offer Free Dining starting August 14th 2016 to Canadian! Cheers!

Once we could no longer get free dining for our dates for our family of four and the falling dollar priced Disney out of range for us. Our last four or so trips had FD so to pay for it now, plus the exchange is more than I want to part with. Last few years we have been cruising. We might be paying the same but it is for a new experiences and seeing different parts of the world.

We are cruising in October and are flying in two days earlier so we are going to MNSSHP and possibly Epcot. That way we get to see all the new things and I can get my Disney fix! If I won the lottery I would do a Disney cruise!

Say whaaaat?

It isn't a new concept... the Fall Free Dining offer always has mid-August start dates for Canadians, whereas the Americans have to wait until closer to September. We get an extra two weeks.

I guess I never paid close attention because we never travel to WDW for these dates. I can't handle the heat! I'm a wuss :scared:

I think that's why they offer it to us... Canadians can't handle the heat! lol We just got back yesterday - every day was over 90' plus humidity - so HOT!

I think that's why they offer it to us... Canadians can't handle the heat! lol We just got back yesterday - every day was over 90' plus humidity - so HOT!

lol. These Canadians didn't find it that bad. Oh, hot, yeah, definitely, and we did find World Showcase felt like walking in a concrete oven. But the humidity was nothing compared to what we deal with home where we are. We went end of June/first of July and temps were 90ish, and humidity was around 60-65%. We regularly deal with 85-90% in the summer in our valley. In all honesty, we found the heat much easier to tolerate in WDW/Florida, because everywhere you turn there were misting stations, air conditioning etc... and the rental home we stayed in had central AC and a 24' private pool. Coming home to 80F with 85% humidity, and only having our one little AC in the kitchen window, and no pool was brutal!

lol. These Canadians didn't find it that bad. Oh, hot, yeah, definitely, and we did find World Showcase felt like walking in a concrete oven. But the humidity was nothing compared to what we deal with home where we are. We went end of June/first of July and temps were 90ish, and humidity was around 60-65%. We regularly deal with 85-90% in the summer in our valley. In all honesty, we found the heat much easier to tolerate in WDW/Florida, because everywhere you turn there were misting stations, air conditioning etc... and the rental home we stayed in had central AC and a 24' private pool. Coming home to 80F with 85% humidity, and only having our one little AC in the kitchen window, and no pool was brutal!

We went last June and it was nothing compared to last week. We also frequent Florida in September, and even it wasn't as hot as last week. The humidity wasn't as bad as September, but I've never sweat so much in my entire life! lol

Used to always go last 2-3 weeks in August and over Christmas when kids were younger not anymore! Now I go when I feel like it and that's a nice thing! :smooth:

Looks like our dollar has climbed a little since last time I did an exchange. Just transferred $100 CND and came out to $75.61 US. Anyone heard any predictions lately?

Wahhhh! The dollar is dropping again $0.74 = $1.00
Thankfully I booked our Universal package through AirTransat so the remaining amount is in Canadian funds. That's our car/hotel/flights covered. Our airport hotel will be in Canadian, and all of our tickets are already purchased. But it's still going to sting to get the cash for our food and extra expenses. I think I will wait and see how it goes. We still have until the end of October.

I have been buying our passes through air miles (so essentially, free) and we have been putting $10 US in our account each week. We are still too far out to purchase anything else (Jan 2018 trip).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter