• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canadian change in the pressed penny machines?

I've heard the quarters will jam the machine therefor never tried it. I know the pennies work. We usually bring rolls of shinny pennies to do our girls press pennies.

That's funny...I just asked this question on another board, and they all said no. That our coins are made from a different metal, and so we can only use US coins...and apparently the pre-1982 ones are best. Glad to know ours work! I certainly have a tonne to get rid of!

We didn't have very good luck with Canadian pennies on this last trip. We only used two, and neither turned out very good. After that, we stuck with US pennies exclusively and they all turned out excellent. Just my two cents.

something to do with our pennies our not but I have noticed that all of the pressed penny machines at the Toronto Zoo have a box filled with US pennies in it that it uses for the pressed penny.

Will they work?

For the penny press idea...pick up the Mini M & M containerspopcorn::...perfect to stacking 2 quareters-1 penny, etc until full. they are great to hold the pressed pennies after...I also just asked this question and was told that the pennies do work but the quarters definitely do not!:headache:

Have a great trip!!:goodvibes

We are down to 9 day countdown!!!::yes::

We try the Canadian pennies every time we've been there, We always have better turn out with the US pennies instead. You can always try it and see how you like it.

Have fun!

alc571 said:
That's funny...I just asked this question on another board, and they all said no. That our coins are made from a different metal, and so we can only use US coins...and apparently the pre-1982 ones are best. Glad to know ours work! I certainly have a tonne to get rid of!

They may work. But as some posters have said it can also be a bad turnout. It's both metal and thickness that are different. Canadian pennies are a tenth of a mm thinner and that can be enough to mess it up.

Canadian pennies are made of steel with a copper coating and US pennies are made of zinc. 1982 is the magic year that the US stopped making pennies of solid copper. If you use a penny on or after that year, you can get silver streaks in your pressed penny as the zinc shows thru. I drive my wife nuts looking through all the US pennies we get trying to find pre1982 ones. It's getting harder every year and I've still got a couple hundred more disney pennies to collect.

Where can you find the penny press?

Penny presses are all over the parks, In Epcot they are in almost every country and in Magic kingdom, animal kingdom and Hollywood studios you'll find them throughout the shops and restaurants. you can also find them at each resort. they are also found in downtown Disney. I was once given a link to a list of them but don't seem to have it any more. Maybe one of the other members do.

We picked up a coin collector holder at one of the shops, they sell them everywhere down in Disney. we now have one for Disneyland and Disney world and hopefully one day can say we collected all the pressed coins!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter