Canadian Candy?

Discussion in 'Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board' started by Shelebeen, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Shelebeen

Shelebeen DIS Veteran

Hi everyone,
    We are heading down on a Disney Cruise and then to WDW in August. I want to take some exclusively Canadian candy for some of the non Canadians we meet (on the cruise).. I am wondering if you can suggest some types you can't get there...

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Ken_Breadbox

Ken_Breadbox Mouseketeer

Well, you've got your chocolate bars: Aero, KitKat, Caramilk, Coffee Crisp, Pep, Mars...there are dozens of them.
    Then you've got your chips. Ketchup is unheard of outside some northern states. Dill Pickle is another flavour I've never seen south of 49.
    Then there are assorted Canadian sweet things, like Nanaimo bars, butter tarts, anything maple-flavoured...it's really odd how many products we have that they don't. Considering I'm usually complaining about the reverse ("WHEN WILL CANADA GET MINUTE MAID POMEGRANATE LEMONADE?!?!)

4. Sprockie

Sprockie Mouseketeer

Maple sugar in the shape of maple leaves from a syrup producer?

5. KeroKero

KeroKero DIS Veteran

Moose Dropping Chocolate & Purdy's Hedgehogs are both very Canadian and very delicious.

6. Tower

Tower DIS Veteran

Geez, wish I were on the cruise with you! Sounds like great ideas! Watch out for anything that melts? You may not get them to your stateroom in time.

7. Mickey1Fan

Mickey1Fan <font color=magenta>He had five fingers and was we

Smarties!

Do you eat the red ones last?

8. Northern Disney Girl

Northern Disney Girl DIS Veteran

I was just going to suggest these too!!!
    And YES I do!!!!! ;)

9. GrtWtNorth

GrtWtNorth DIS Veteran

Just an FYI, but a lot of Canadian (and British) chocolates and candies have a lower melt-point compared to American chocolate and candy. Anything Cadbury plus Neslte Smarties come to mind.

So while most Canadian chocolates taste lovely, they might not survive Florida heat as well as the classic (and not quite as tasty) Hershey chocolate.

10. CdnKayDee

CdnKayDee Kim & Danelle

Well not candy exactly but Cheezies. We can't go to the States without taking our Cheezies.

11. papertraveller

papertraveller DIS Veteran

Another vote for Smarties -- you can find some very nifty wrappers on the DIS creative boards that you can print out with the cruise name and date, and wrap around the boxes.

There are also the chocolate dollar coin loonies!

12. Tower

Tower DIS Veteran

Excellent Idea! Gonna Save That One for Our Cruise's Fish Extender in 1.3 years!

13. HotdogDncrs

HotdogDncrs Mouseketeer

Skor, Wonderbar (yum, yum)

14. 3pletprincesses

3pletprincesses DIS Veteran

Second vote for the maple leaf shape maple candy.

15. bankr63

bankr63 DIS Veteran

Whatever you do, don't take KinderSurprise. They are banned in the US due to choking hazards, and will be confiscated at the border if found.

16. Disney Daniel

Disney Daniel <font color= blue>Aw.....FIDDLESTICKS!!!!!

Good advice. If I am not mistaken I believe you can also be fined up to $300 for taking them into the US, so they do mean business with it.

17. candygirlIRE

candygirlIRE Mouseketeer

I THIRD THIS!! I think that will be a wonderful thing to take, different and won't melt!! :yay:
    Very Canadian!

I have never heard that about KINDER!! Wow, I am pretty sure that we had some in our cooler when we passed over the boarder last year YIKES!! That would have been a SURPRISE for us all right!!
    (Our son LOVES those eggs!)

Is there a link to back that up?? Just curious (not doubting it's true or anything) - I'd like to email that on to a couple of people :)
    Thanks!!

18. Shelebeen

Shelebeen DIS Veteran

Will go to the farmers market and look for maple candy on the weekend.. thanks!

THe KINDERegg thing came to light this past winter with a lady being held at the border: http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2011/01/10/man-kinder-surprise-border.html

19. timbuktoo

timbuktoo Earning My Ears

MacIntosh Toffee. I have a friend that used to live in Portland that I would buy this for and give to him as they can't get it in the US. Have fun!:thumbsup2

20. August2010

August2010 Mouseketeer

I always used to send my aunt in WI Crispy Crunch. I like the maple sugar idea.Very Canadian.

21. shaycamp21

shaycamp21 DIS Veteran

Clodhoppers are yummy too!!:)