Canadian Buffoon's Disney With a Teen Vacation - 08/13 - The Wrap

You could talk to me :)

This is true. And I might take you up on that at some time!

So nothing strange or unusual happening to make your life crazy, just everyday life and the trainee kind of doing it to you.

Pretty much. The recitals are out of the norm,
but no family (or other) drama going on at least.

Hang in there. Hopefully you'll get some sleep soon.

Sleep? What is this "sleep" you talk of?

Trainees and students. It's a really hard balance between training and getting s(tuff) done. I have not mastered that balance. I prefer working extra and harder while someone else deals with the trainee/student. Then again, that's stressful too. Hopefully your people are supportive.

I'm working overtime today.... and it's soooo relaxing!
No one to constantly monitor and teach.
aaaaahhhhh...

Other staff have been mostly supportive, thankfully.

So... quick hello.

Hello!

Man this sitting down is awesome!

I love that! It's my favorite.

can't eat take out all the time.

But sometimes I wish I could.

10:30pm - 6:45am work... with trainee.
OMG, I'm tired.

At this point, you've been awake more than 24 hours straight. Which I'm guessing is a normal occurrence for you?:faint:

11pm sleep?

I sure hope so!

Stop the volunteering and you'll be fine!
Leaving tomorrow morning for Columbus, be back on Monday. Going to a well known German restaurant one night. Did I ever tell you that I don't like sausage? Going to have sauerbraten with spatzel. I hope it's as good as the local place we go to.

:faint: Ugh! I'm tired just reading your update. I bet it's great to watch your daughter dance though, even if you are tired. Is Elle thinking of making a career out of dance? Our little girl made the ensemble team at her studio. I didn't tell her she was selected to be evaluated during her class times and recital because I didn't want to put any pressure on her. When I went to sign her up for the fall we found out she made it. She had no clue what it was, but I told her it lets her perform more and she was super excited. Her dance teacher told her that she'll be doing special classes and not all kids that are evaluated are chosen. She really didn't care about that too much, but she kept asking her teacher when she gets to dance on the stage.:laughing: She's such a little performer. Each year the studio's elite go to Disneyland! If she continues to like it maybe she'll be performing on stage in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle! That would be very cool. Hoping you get some sleep.:thumbsup2

I love that! It's my favorite.

Second only to lying down.

But sometimes I wish I could.

And lately, it feels like that's all I've been doing.
Want normal food.

At this point, you've been awake more than 24 hours straight. Which I'm guessing is a normal occurrence for you?:faint:

Unfortunately.... yes.

I sure hope so!

Fingers crossed..... or eyes.... whichever.

Stop the volunteering and you'll be fine!

:laughing: Yeah it is self-inflicted.
But here's a little story about that.

The school's director is a nice enough woman,
but a bit aloof or introverted.
At least she seems that way to me,
I could easily be wrong.

When Ruby and I first volunteered,
we each had a group of kids to watch.
Mme A didn't even acknowledge us.
Nor should she. She's extremely busy
trying to run a recital, right?
At some point, over the years, I realized
that there was a need for someone
to organize the backstage chaos.
So on my own initiative,
I started to hover near the back entrance
(where everyone comes in to drop off the kids)
by the elevator and direct traffic.
"Creative dance? Rehearsal hall, past the washrooms on your left."
"Tap/Jazz? Down the hall, 4th door on the right."
"Level 2 hip hop? Third floor."
(Those are actually what I'd say and correct for those dances
for last night's performance. It changes every night, every year.)
Once everyone's in their respective dressing rooms,
I make sure that the groups are brought either backstage,
or on hot standby in the hallway as required.
I'm often running to dressing rooms to get groups
that haven't heard the announcements
or don't understand them.
Since I've been doing that, the recitals have
(if I can toot my own horn here for a second)
run a lot smoother than in the past.

Last year, at the end of the night,
a teacher or even Mme A would say thanks
as they passed me in the hallway.

Last Wednesday.
I don't remember what I needed to know,
or what I needed to say, but I needed to see
Mme A about something.
Usually, since she's got a million things to do,
she can't help you or even find the time to talk to you.
You just have to follow her around until she stops moving
and hope she'll take two seconds to vaguely listen to you,
while she simultaneously listens on her head-set.
So on Wednesday night, just before the show started,
I walked backstage.
As soon as Mme A saw me,
she immediately stopped doing what she was doing
and came over to me!
And then gave me her full attention!

I was a little shocked, to tell the truth.

Maybe what I'm doing really does help.

Leaving tomorrow morning for Columbus, be back on Monday.

Have fun!

Going to a well known German restaurant one night. Did I ever tell you that I don't like sausage? Going to have sauerbraten with spatzel. I hope it's as good as the local place we go to.

Never knew (or forgot... that's a definite possibility)
about not liking sausage.
All sausage? Even hot dogs?

I won't tell Kay that you're having spaetzle.
Then she'd force me to make if for her!

Actually... when I have the time,
I just might do that. Hmmm...

:faint: Ugh! I'm tired just reading your update.

Yeah, it was pretty boring, wasn't it?
Put you to sleep, huh?

I bet it's great to watch your daughter dance though, even if you are tired.

::yes::
She's 19 now and not competing anymore.
But I never get tired of watching her.

Is Elle thinking of making a career out of dance?

Yes but no.
She's going to University with the end goal of becoming a teacher.
But right now she's also teaching dance part time
at two different venues, and has just added a third.

Our little girl made the ensemble team at her studio.

Oh! Congrats to her!

I didn't tell her she was selected to be evaluated during her class times and recital because I didn't want to put any pressure on her. When I went to sign her up for the fall we found out she made it. She had no clue what it was, but I told her it lets her perform more and she was super excited.

Good for her. She's six now?

Her dance teacher told her that she'll be doing special classes and not all kids that are evaluated are chosen.

I thought she'd be excited about that, but...

She really didn't care about that too much, but she kept asking her teacher when she gets to dance on the stage.:laughing:

...apparently, not so much!
But asking when she gets to dance on stage... :laughing:

She's such a little performer.

:goodvibes

Each year the studio's elite go to Disneyland! If she continues to like it maybe she'll be performing on stage in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle! That would be very cool.

Cool! That'll be a Kodak moment.

Hoping you get some sleep.:thumbsup2

Oh, I hope so!
I'm just about done.

This is true. And I might take you up on that at some time!

Normally we have more points than we can use in a year. Last year we ended up renting out half our points, partially as planned, partially due to medical needs. The trip this year put a big dent in points, but I imagine by next year we will be back in surplus as we don't have plans for a big WDW trip next year.

I started to hover near the back entrance
(where everyone comes in to drop off the kids)
by the elevator and direct traffic.

Interesting. I haven't been to a dance recital in about 30 years, but somehow the only opportunity I imagined was behind a table taking donations or handing out programs.

She's 19 now and not competing anymore.
But I never get tired of watching her.
That's so great. I love that she still wants to dance even in her college years.

Yes but no.
She's going to University with the end goal of becoming a teacher.
But right now she's also teaching dance part time
at two different venues, and has just added a third.
That's fantastic! I bet she's great with the little ones.

Good for her. She's six now?
Yes. She just turned six on May 26th. She's getting so big.:sad1:

I worry about your health just a tad- mental and physical. You know that, right? Lack of sleep does weird and sometimes bad things.

Oh man- you're volunteering at the dance recitals and Elle isn't even dancing anymore?! You are one great dance dad! My 3 year old is going to try it in the fall- we're excited!

Looking forward to your next update. I have to tell you- I stayed at Pop a few weeks ago, and every time I walked up the stairs to my room- I thought of you having to do all of them! (My room was just on the 2nd floor.)

Normally we have more points than we can use in a year. Last year we ended up renting out half our points, partially as planned, partially due to medical needs. The trip this year put a big dent in points, but I imagine by next year we will be back in surplus as we don't have plans for a big WDW trip next year.

Okay, but I'm totally in the dark about renting points
and how that works with magicbands and ADRs etc.
You'd have to hold my hand.

OMG! Alison! I said "hold my hand"!
Get your mind out of the gutter!

Interesting. I haven't been to a dance recital in about 30 years, but somehow the only opportunity I imagined was behind a table taking donations or handing out programs.

Oh, there's tons of volunteering opportunities.
The school's gotten pretty big over the years.
Recital used to be about a 1 or 2 hour show.
Now it's 121 dances over three nights.
(About 9 hours in total.)
All the kids under the age of (I think) 13
need a volunteer to stay with them.
Preferably two volunteers.

I haven't been out front in years,
but pretty sure the concert hall's
staff do all the front of house stuff.

That's so great. I love that she still wants to dance even in her college years.

::yes::

Although I don't know if she'll have time
for any next year.
She was thinking about doing some tap,
but that class is the same time she's teaching.

That's fantastic! I bet she's great with the little ones.

She's much better with the little ones than I am!
She's a real natural there.

Yes. She just turned six on May 26th. She's getting so big.:sad1:

Oh! So she just had her birthday.
Tell her Happy Birthday (belated) from me!

I worry about your health just a tad- mental and physical. You know that, right? Lack of sleep does weird and sometimes bad things.

<sigh> Yeah... I know.
Luckily I usually can find spots to catch up here and there.

But like I mentioned over on your thread,
I can make do with less sleep than some.

Ruby needs way more than I do.
I used to do all the night time feedings
when the DDs were babies.
(Except when I was at work, of course.)

Oh man- you're volunteering at the dance recitals and Elle isn't even dancing anymore?!

Oh, no. She's still dancing.
She just did one dance on the first night,
but I volunteered the other nights too.

You are one great dance dad!

But I will still take this compliment.
Thanks!

My 3 year old is going to try it in the fall- we're excited!

You're going to love it.
Seeing them on stage that first time?

Magic.

Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks! I'll be getting back to work on it tonight.

I have to tell you- I stayed at Pop a few weeks ago, and every time I walked up the stairs to my room- I thought of you having to do all of them! (My room was just on the 2nd floor.)

:laughing:
You should have climbed all the way up
just to get the full effect!

:lmao:

:faint: Ugh! I'm tired just reading your update. I bet it's great to watch your daughter dance though, even if you are tired. Is Elle thinking of making a career out of dance? Our little girl made the ensemble team at her studio. I didn't tell her she was selected to be evaluated during her class times and recital because I didn't want to put any pressure on her. When I went to sign her up for the fall we found out she made it. She had no clue what it was, but I told her it lets her perform more and she was super excited. Her dance teacher told her that she'll be doing special classes and not all kids that are evaluated are chosen. She really didn't care about that too much, but she kept asking her teacher when she gets to dance on the stage.:laughing: She's such a little performer. Each year the studio's elite go to Disneyland! If she continues to like it maybe she'll be performing on stage in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle! That would be very cool. Hoping you get some sleep.:thumbsup2
oh that would be so cute. you will have to let us know, there are a few of us "dlanders" on here and we would go to see her.

oh man I was going to give you grief for taking so long. lol but even I would feel bad for kicking a guy when he is so overworked. and just realize that if you go to see carrie you need to also need to come out here to dl lest you start a harem uprising for playing favorites :rolleyes1 as far as the dvc rentals go, I ran the numbers and the dvc rental was a bit cheaper than a moderate. we have stayed at SSR and liked it so why not. they are roomier than a moderate room (we also requested a preferred room, not sure where that is but will check into it) we found a link here on the dis for the rental the guy is in Canada so we had to pay a transaction fee for international charge but still came out on the cheaper than a mod side.
we have had a curve ball thrown into our DL get away but in a good way. played a trivia game on the radio Thursday morning and won 4 tickets to the Hollywood BOwl to see Little Mermaid live on Monday night. it will be a nice addition to the getaway and I am sure little miss scarlett will enjoy it. as for me, seeing Jodi Benson sing this soundtrack live will be:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:
Oh I feel for ya on the dog issue. our Stanley the wonderdog would wake me at 5am every morning. that I the only thing about him I don't miss. but since we adopted MOlly she has been nice enough to fill that void. and get this, she will lick my face if I don't get up by 5. have you ever been licked by a cat? eeeewwwwweeeeeeee, and she does not understand weekends or vacation days. good thing she is cute:rolleyes1

oh man I was going to give you grief for taking so long. lol but even I would feel bad for kicking a guy when he is so overworked.

Yeah, it's been a bit.... insane.

and just realize that if you go to see carrie you need to also need to come out here to dl lest you start a harem uprising for playing favorites

:lmao:

as far as the dvc rentals go, I ran the numbers and the dvc rental was a bit cheaper than a moderate.

Oh, really! Interesting.

we have stayed at SSR and liked it so why not. they are roomier than a moderate room (we also requested a preferred room, not sure where that is but will check into it) we found a link here on the dis for the rental the guy is in Canada so we had to pay a transaction fee for international charge but still came out on the cheaper than a mod side.

Again, interesting.
Doubly so that the guy was in Canada.
I wonder if I'd have to pay that charge?

we have had a curve ball thrown into our DL get away but in a good way. played a trivia game on the radio Thursday morning and won 4 tickets to the Hollywood BOwl to see Little Mermaid live on Monday night. it will be a nice addition to the getaway and I am sure little miss scarlett will enjoy it.

Nice score!

as for me, seeing Jodi Benson sing this soundtrack live will be:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Oh! I didn't know she was still performing.
That's pretty cool that you get to see her.
I wonder if her voice has changed since the film?
Guess you'll find out!

Oh I feel for ya on the dog issue. our Stanley the wonderdog would wake me at 5am every morning. that I the only thing about him I don't miss.

I heard Luna this morning... I dunno, early.
I got up.... and closed our door.
Kay can take care of her!

but since we adopted MOlly she has been nice enough to fill that void. and get this, she will lick my face if I don't get up by 5.

:laughing:

have you ever been licked by a cat? eeeewwwwweeeeeeee,

Oh, sure. Tons. Don't mind it.

and she does not understand weekends or vacation days. good thing she is cute:rolleyes1

Yeah, if they weren't cute, they'd be extinct!

Wow...yes kudos in order to you for volunteering for that...recital helping lol. As a mom of a dancer...I get it...and I can't even imagine what it's like back there!!! I'm glad there are other worthy parents like you willing to take it on because...I wouldn't last a second lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter