Canadian Buffoon European Vacation - 30/03 - Endings and Silver Linings

pkondz:. Great girl is your Ruby! Another Canadian here in Niagara, Ontario. Love your writing style, and Canadian Humour! Thanks, I needed all the :rotfl2: I can get today. . . ;)

Welcome to the nuthouse!

I was stationed in Germany for 2 years....Seeing the Ausfarht sign on the Autobahn never failed to bring out my inner 12 year old. :)

Jill in CO

::yes::

I've always wanted to visit Paris. I can't wait to see pics and hear stories. :hyper:

I'll see what I can do. ;)

We were posted in Germany too. My elder DDs favourite souvenir when she came to visit was her Ausfahrt Tshirt.:lmao:

Oh, carp! They have Tshirts?
This! I forgot to add, I'll be here, I hope as 47 yrs young was a long, long. Time ago! ;)

Last year?

:jumping1: I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!!! :tigger: Can you tell I"m excited? How am I already on the bottom of page 2 though? I hope its not too hard to keep up this time. I faltered a bit on your Hawaii TR. But it was really because I had the post WDW trip blues and couldn't read anything for awhile.

Anyhoo...Europe!!! Love it there!!! My favorite place in the world!!! (No flames please) I can't wait to see the pics and hear the stories!!! Tell me everything!!!

Did I use enough !!!'s? :hyper:

:jumping1: I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!!! :tigger: Can you tell I"m excited? How am I already on the bottom of page 2 though? I hope its not too hard to keep up this time. I faltered a bit on your Hawaii TR. But it was really because I had the post WDW trip blues and couldn't read anything for awhile.

Anyhoo...Europe!!! Love it there!!! My favorite place in the world!!! (No flames please) I can't wait to see the pics and hear the stories!!! Tell me everything!!!

Did I use enough !!!'s? :hyper:

Well if it isn't my favorite brace of quadrangular, marigold felines.

Here's hoping you'll be able to keep up... I'll type more slowly, okay?

And no... you didn't use enough "!'s". I believe you missed two.

this one ! and that one over there -> !

Welcome to the crazy train!

Bring on the buffoons! :hyper: ;)

Cindy

Smile when you say that lady!
Welcome!

I'm here!!! Looking forward to the report. And I have German roots too, you know... :wave2:

Hope I made it to the bottom of page two at least...

reporting in! I always wanted to go to europe. (I also always wanted to pretend to be an architect...)

Hi, welcome Lady H! Oh, that's right. We can't be late for our mee... ummm... I mean, You... YOU can't be late for YOUR meeting.

Mike scares me a little. Pretty sure he could beat me up.

T-Man wouldn't hurt a fly...

So how did this happen?

Do we have to have a "Birds & bee's" talk?

Ruby and I had made some pretty major purchases over the last few years. Not the least being a new house.

"No trips for at least the next 3 years." Said I.
"Absolutely. We can't afford any more expenses, right now." Said she.

Famous last words...

So Elle is turning 16 in 2013. Sweet sixteen. Pretty big deal. Ya only turn 16 once ya know.

I don't know how they do it in Canada, but here...unless you show your driver's license to everyone you meet, you can be 16 as many times as you want. :rotfl:

Notice how that tends to get used less and less as you get older.

"You only turn 47 once, ya know!"

Nope. Not that common.

I've turned 21 for the 13th time last month.

"What are we going to do for Elle's sweet 16?"

So we do what any responsible parent would do.

We go to Vegas.

Hey now...I had a sleepover for my sweet 16.

No! Wait! That didn't happen... well it did, but that was a few years ago.

So this isn't the first year she's turning 16?

What we did was, we asked her what she wanted. She already knows she's not getting what she really wants.

Well way to spoil the ending! :worried:

Elle watches too much TV I think. (Oh, spare me the perfect parent lament. "You shouldn't let your kids watch so much TV." Yeah, right. Just try and keep 'em from the tube. I dare ya.) When she was 13 or so, she announced she was looking forward to her 16th birthday.

I bit.

"Okay, honey. Why are you looking forward to your 16th birthday?"
She nonchalantly replies. "Well, you know. You turn 16 and you get a car."

Where was this information when i was 16? Again...I got a sleepover!!!

Ok granted, I had a car since i was 12...but still...It was a hand me down anyway, so it didn't count.

I don't know if she was more hurt or puzzled at my laughing.

If it looked anything like this......then it was probably a mixture of both.

Anyway, she's 15 now and "Whaddya want for your 16th?"

"I want to go to Disneyworld."

That's my girl.

A kid after my own heart!

So Ruby and I.... well.... I crunched the numbers (Ruby's job is to listen to my dreams and then yea or nay them. Surprisingly she 'yeas' more often then she 'nays'.) and we decided that we could (barely) make it work.

Sounds like our household.

Okay. I don't want to shock anybody, so everyone better sit down.

Ruby is not a big fan of Disneyworld.

Okay! Okay! It's out! Is everyone okay? You! In the back. Close your mouth before a fly gets in there. You, over there. Help that lady back up into her chair, okay? Now, I'll just wait a bit until the administering of CPR is done and the ambulances have taken their collective shocked patients off to wherever shocked patients go.

The last time we were in Disney. I wanted to make sure that the kidlets got to experience as much as possible.

That means rope drop.
That means commando style.
That means go, go, go.

That means that I broke Ruby.

I think you and T-Man really need to get together someday...You can run each other ragged, while me and Ruby just stroll along behind, actually ENJOYING ourselves, instead of whizzing past everything and then coming back and getting the *look* when you don't remember certain things. ;)

But she was willing to go again... not thrilled... but willing. (She's a good mom)

And a good wife, If there was no mention of willing to go again without you planning! :rotfl2:

Flights from Canada to MCO are not cheap. The last time we flew, we first drove 8 hours and overnighted in Minneapolis... same coming home.

In this day and age, they are expensive flying out of anywhere. We spent months changing flights to get a cheaper deal and that is just to California from NM.

"Geez." I grumbled. "We could almost fly to Europe for the same pri...."

Don't you love it when ideas come to you out of the blue like that?

"So, Ruby. Just a thought. A whim if you will. Instead of going to WDW again, what would you say to going to Europe instead??"

I had my arguments in order.
1. We've already been to WDW, it'd be nice to go somewhere else.
2. The kids are getting older. Who knows, now that Elle is turning 16, if she'll be able to travel with us much longer. School, job, boyfriend, etc.
3. My parents took me when I was young (10 or so) and I really enjoyed it.

All Ruby said was, "Let's go for it."

So much for preparation...Again, Ruby is just like me. T-Man starts talking about travel ideas and I've gotten to the point where i just say, "OK"...

So after much discussion (London, Paris, Cologne, Hanover (to visit relaticks), Munich, Amsterdam) We settled on London, Paris and points in Germany.

Sounds good to me...I'm living vicariously through you this trip, since i will never have the chance to go out there and see any of it...

Then Ruby says, "I never really wanted to go to London, I'd rather go to Italy."

So our Itinerary is Paris, Cologne, Munich/Bavaria, Venice.

Awww...taking the wife's ideas into account...Nice one!

Anyone want to come along for the ride? I'm warning you all right here, right now.

We did not, repeat, NOT go to Disneyland Paris. Yes there was a little Disneyesque bit during the trip... but it wasn't that.

I'll come along. Do I need to sneak into luggage? Hide in a cage and act like a dog? Whatever...

Well, if anyone's still around. I'll tell ya all about it.

k?

K...................I'm waiting...

I'm here!!! Looking forward to the report. And I have German roots too, you know... :wave2:

Hope I made it to the bottom of page two at least...

You did! Welcome aboard, Marita!

(Whoa. That was close... Too close. I originally typed "Welcome aboard, Marita" and forgot the comma. I don't want to give anyone the impression that you're that kind of girl.

You might be. I just don't want anyone to get the impression from me.)

reporting in! I always wanted to go to europe. (I also always wanted to pretend to be an architect...)

Hi Smidgy! Welcome to looney tunesville. I know, I know. No going to Europe until you can manage getting the big guy on a plane.... whithout waking him up. Just how many vikes would that take, anyway?

T-Man wouldn't hurt a fly...

But he might crush a pkondz with his fist... :rolleyes1:

Do we have to have a "Birds & bee's" talk?

Yes. Please.
I'll wait here until you post it.

Famous last words...

"What does this button do?"*

*As said by the passenger visiting the cockpit of the Hindenburg.

I don't know how they do it in Canada, but here...unless you show your driver's license to everyone you meet, you can be 16 as many times as you want. :rotfl:

:lmao:

I've turned 21 for the 13th time last month.

Happy Bir... oh forget it. I'll getcha next time it comes around.

If it looked anything like this......then it was probably a mixture of both.

Yup. That's pretty much it.

I think you and T-Man really need to get together someday...You can run each other ragged, while me and Ruby just stroll along behind, actually ENJOYING ourselves, instead of whizzing past everything and then coming back and getting the *look* when you don't remember certain things. ;)

Works for me.

So much for preparation...Again, Ruby is just like me. T-Man starts talking about travel ideas and I've gotten to the point where i just say, "OK"...

Yup. Otherwise we pout.

Sounds good to me...I'm living vicariously through you this trip, since i will never have the chance to go out there and see any of it...

Never say never.

Awww...taking the wife's ideas into account...Nice one!

Just wait...

I'll come along. Do I need to sneak into luggage? Hide in a cage and act like a dog? Whatever...

Not the luggage! Those things were heavy enough as it was!

You'll see.

K...................I'm waiting...

One moment please.
Please stand by.
Your post is important and will be mocked in the order in which it was received.

Okay, I'm switching fonts here for the rest of the TR. Just helps to keep things a bit more orgeenized. Hopefully no one has a prob with bold and blue...

The last time we were in Disney. I wanted to make sure that the kidlets got to experience as much as possible.

That means rope drop.
That means commando style.
That means go, go, go.

That means that I broke Ruby.

Ponzi, my man, I have just the answer for you for the 2015 trip.
Fastpass+. Schedule your fastpasses from the comfort of your home in advance, stroll into Space Mountain or Toy Story Mania at your leisure, no criss crossing the park and running for passes. Should make for a much easier trip for Ruby. You can also reserve spots for parades and fireworks

PS: change your mind and would rather swim? Just change your time. Or change the attraction, or change your dining reservation. All from your phone or a kiosk in the park

Fastpass+. Schedule your fastpasses from the comfort of your home in advance, stroll into Space Mountain or Toy Story Mania at your leisure, no criss crossing the park and running for passes. Should make for a much easier trip for Ruby. You can also reserve spots for parades and fireworks

PS: change your mind and would rather swim? Just change your time. Or change the attraction, or change your dining reservation. All from your phone or a kiosk in the park

That all sounds good... but would it surprise you to hear that I'd be perfectly happy going to Disney.... and not go on a. single. ride????

You're talking about the bracelets, yes? Or is that only part of it. And is the + going already?

And yeah... I'd use it. Who am I trying to kid! :lmao:

Bold and blue? BOLD AND BLUE?? What are ya- some kind of rabid Leafs fan???

Just saw that you live in the 'Peg. Nevermind. Please continue.

Was wondering if anyone'd make the connection. :rolleyes:

Great day in the morning! This TR is hopping with just your teaser intro so far. I'm not surprised one bit. And it figures.....I played it straight and didn't check the boards today and look where that got me?

I love the TR title! ;)

Venice? I think I may have mentioned Venice is one of the places DH and I did not visit on our sweep of Italy back in 2004. I love Italy, so trust me I will be living vicariously through your TR. Who am I kidding? All of Europe is great and exciting. I'm a history person, I enjoy other cultures and experiences and I can not wait for it to begin.

Well, I can wait and patiently too, I'm in for the long haul, but it sounds better to say I can't wait as it denotes my enthusiasm for your TR. It's kinda along the same principle of when someone calls you and asks "Are you busy?" and you say "No" despite the fact that you almost literally have multiple fires burning on your desk.

I would say you have quite the captive audience! ;)

I'm in... and I may just steal your idea! DD13 has been asking to go to Italy for years... what a great sweet 16 trip!

And just to ask - wouldn't a trip to Italy cost almost as much as a used, first car for a 16yo??

Can't wait to read details! I'd like to put in some requests if you don't mind... airline, how you decided where in Italy to go, hotels, etc. All the little details will help me plan our trip :thumbsup2

That all sounds good... but would it surprise you to hear that I'd be perfectly happy going to Disney.... and not go on a. single. ride????

You're talking about the bracelets, yes? Or is that only part of it. And is the + going already?

And yeah... I'd use it. Who am I trying to kid! :lmao:

Was wondering if anyone'd make the connection. :rolleyes:

Yes, the bracelets, which I am sure your female family members would be more than happy to personalize with Bandits (like Croc thingies) or overlays, conveniently available at the Resort stores.

The system is currently in Beta testing and should be available to every one for the 2015 trip where you will meet all your favorite Disers

Start selling Ruby on it now...

Great day in the morning! This TR is hopping with just your teaser intro so far. I'm not surprised one bit. And it figures.....I played it straight and didn't check the boards today and look where that got me?

Well look who's here! Hi DeeDee!
I did say I was going to start it soon, ya know.

I love the TR title! ;)

Thanks! I had it as my ticker title for... oh... about a year. :rolleyes:

Venice? I think I may have mentioned Venice is one of the places DH and I did not visit on our sweep of Italy back in 2004. I love Italy, so trust me I will be living vicariously through your TR. Who am I kidding? All of Europe is great and exciting. I'm a history person, I enjoy other cultures and experiences and I can not wait for it to begin.

Funny you should mention history. I tried to add little tidbits of info here and there about the things we were seeing. I usually got blank looks that translated as, "Dad, we're not in school ya know."

Ah well...

Every now and then, though, I'd hit 'em with a fact that'd surprise them. (Did you know that the Eiffel Tower was meant to be a temporary exhibit only? "What? Really? Why?".... score one for me.)

Well, I can wait and patiently too, I'm in for the long haul, but it sounds better to say I can't wait as it denotes my enthusiasm for your TR. It's kinda along the same principle of when someone calls you and asks "Are you busy?" and you say "No" despite the fact that you almost literally have multiple fires burning on your desk.

Thanks Buzz. :)

I would say you have quite the captive audience! ;)

Oh, come on. I lengthen the chains to their shackles every Sunday.

I'm in... and I may just steal your idea! DD13 has been asking to go to Italy for years... what a great sweet 16 trip!

And just to ask - wouldn't a trip to Italy cost almost as much as a used, first car for a 16yo??

First off... Welcome to the TR! Do I call you Belle or Bud? Or Budding Belle?

And I see that I've already planted false seeds here.
Let me clear something up.

When DD15 said she wanted to got to WDW for her 16th, it caused some consternation to occur amongst the parental units.
Because standing beside her was DD11...

If you give one kid a trip to Disneyworld, ya gotta do the same for the other, right?

Okay, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

As the numbers were crunched and the teeth were gnashed, we soon decided that a trip to Europe would be the way to go... but not as a birthday gift.... but as a family vacation.

So we talked it over with DD15. It went something like this:
"So you said you wanted to go to Disney for your 16th, right?"
"Right."
"Here's the deal. We have a chance to go to Europe... but it wouldn't be for your birthday... and we can't do both."
"Would you do something else for my birthday?"
"Yes."
"I'd rather see Europe, 'cause when will I get another chance to go?"

And there ya have it.

What we did do for her birthday was twofold
1. We sent her on a solo trip to Toronto to spend a few days just her and her aunt.
2. We threw a huge surprise party for her involving 30 friends, renting out an entire roller rink, and a rather largish stretch SUV limo.

All the above costing considerably less than a good used car. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to read details! I'd like to put in some requests if you don't mind... airline, how you decided where in Italy to go, hotels, etc. All the little details will help me plan our trip :thumbsup2

How did we decide on Venice? Looks like I'm gonna need a mini chapter here... so hang on a bit and I'll get to that.

Yes, the bracelets, which I am sure your female family members would be more than happy to personalize with Bandits (like Croc thingies) or overlays, conveniently available at the Resort stores.

The system is currently in Beta testing and should be available to every one for the 2015 trip where you will meet all your favorite Disers

Start selling Ruby on it now...

Thanks Marita. I'll start working on her... tonite! :rotfl:

This is all good in theory and early reports show promise. Yes, it's still in the testing phases. Early test results are positive, but that's only because only certain resorts are part of the testing phase. Its working great now for the test people, because they only make up about 10-15% of any park's attendance at any given time. What about when this goes into full effect for everyone and the numbers jump? Not just for the certain resorts now, but for all the Disney resorts and for all the offsite people.

And what about people like our friends Smidgy and Nebo who don't have a smartphone or like to use their phone while on vacation? I know there will be the kiosks, but will these kiosks be available at various spots throughout the park? One thing Lady H and I like to do while on vacation is to put our phones away and enjoy the sites. Sure we'll check them every now and then, but only on occasion. It's going to be the norm now to have everyone's faces buried in their iPads, Tablets and smartphones.

The main thing I'm not liking about this is you're limited to a certain amount of FP's and they're limited to a certain park. There's no park hopping ability with this yet. It would be nice if I could book TSM over at DHS in the morning, then hop on over to Epcot and book TT at night. And now you'll only be limited to 3 and will be categorized. Can you imagine that you'll be able to FP Stitch now.:scared1: Last trip to WDW, Nebo and I were able to ride EE 3 times utilizing FP. To my understanding it won't be like that anymore with the new system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against it. One thing I like about this idea is yes, you can be sure to get a TSM FP. Or schedule your FP time around your ADR time so they don't interfere with each other.

Sorry Marita, but until this goes into full effect, I had to show the not so wonderful side to FP+. Hopefully Disney is taking notes on all this and address these issues.

Sorry Ponzi, didn't mean to be the Debbie Downer here. There are plenty of threads discussing this at the moment. We'll leave this discussion to those threads.

Now on with the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter