Canada's new Prime Minister's stance on Terrorism given the attacks in Paris

Just thinking out loud here...

What happens if a would-be suicide bomber gets a hold of a passport and enters a targeted country legally? I guess all you can do is remain as vigilant as you can :(

Just thinking out loud here...

What happens if a would-be suicide bomber gets a hold of a passport and enters a targeted country legally? I guess all you can do is remain as vigilant as you can :(

It's much more easier for terrorists to enter with a tourist/business visa than applying for a refugee status.

About the Paris attackers:
"And if they had wanted to come to the United States, they wouldn't have had to do much more than buy a plane ticket. Only two of them would have been flagged by French authorities, according to CNN. Those who didn’t appear on European security watch lists and who held passports from countries included in the visa waiver program would have traveled straight to the U.S., like any other tourist. ISIS isn't short on fighters with European passports, either -- U.S. intelligence officials estimated earlier this year that 3,400 foreign fighters had joined the group from Western nations."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...8ce4b045bf3df1a043?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Then we need to tighten that up as well.
How exactly are you going to stop people from visiting? And if you stopped people with French passports, Belgium passports etc from visiting they probably wouldnt let us into Europe any more. There are tons of places that would close if not for international tourists.

How exactly are you going to stop people from visiting? And if you stopped people with French passports, Belgium passports etc from visiting they probably wouldnt let us into Europe any more. There are tons of places that would close if not for international tourists.

It's a problem. Like it or not, there are no real boundaries any more, loosely speaking. Nab a passport and fly "under the radar" and you can get in anywhere. Then all they need to do is arm themselves which depending on the country can be deceptively easy. But that's a whole other story.

Actually, scrub that "easy to arm" comment - it's VERY EASY TO ARM ONESELF. Just buy a 3D printer, add the very few missing parts and PRESTO, one gun.

Nobody said anything about stopping visitors.

Nobody said anything about stopping visitors.
The comment said that it is easier to get in as a business traveller or a tourist than it is to get in as a refugee.

You said we should tighten that up as well then. If you are not referring to tightening up business travellers and visitors then what are you referring to? And if we did as you suggest would you be ok with Europe restricting or tightening up on visitors from Canada and the US?

It's much more easier for terrorists to enter with a tourist/business visa than applying for a refugee status.

"And if they had wanted to come to the United States, they wouldn't have had to do much more than buy a plane ticket. Only two of them would have been flagged by French authorities, according to CNN. Those who didn’t appear on European security watch lists and who held passports from countries included in the visa waiver program would have traveled straight to the U.S., like any other tourist. ISIS isn't short on fighters with European passports, either -- U.S. intelligence officials estimated earlier this year that 3,400 foreign fighters had joined the group from Western nations."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...8ce4b045bf3df1a043?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Wouldn't that also undermine the contention that the vetting process would out any potential threats?

Well, look at that...
François Hollande is saying that France will *still* go forward with plans to welcome 30,000 refugees in the next two years. Food for thought, don't ya think?...

http://abcnews.go.com/International...comes-refugees-paris-attack/story?id=35274658

Thought, yes. Fullblown conclusion, no.

If you wouldn't equally accept his statement as food for thought if it was a statement holding off or denying the plans to accept the refugees you should not consider it at all.

I don't think anyone is going to argue with you that it's easier to enter the US on a tourist/business visa than as a refugee. Having said that, I don't think it matters. It's not an either/or discussion, meaning that the terrorists aren't going to pick just one method of getting into our country. We need to address all the ways in which terrorists can gain access, whether that be as a pretend refugee or as a tourist.

Maybe I'm not understanding your point.

The "Previous" Canadian government only a 1,300 promise. Our "New" government is going to bring in many, many more as promised.

Edited:. 25,000 before 2016 reported on local news today.
Regardless of the numbers (arbitrarily chosen by both governments), it's still just a "promise". There have been no refugees landed yet, no details on how they are supposed to even get here (wherever "here" might actually be), let alone what will happen to them once they arrive. Besides a nebulous discussion about temporary housing on CFB Trenton (which according to the Toronto Star has a maximum capacity of 10,000), we've heard nothing.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-search-for-winter-housing-for-thousands.html

Regardless of the numbers (arbitrarily chosen by both governments), it's still just a "promise". There have been no refugees landed yet, no details on how they are supposed to even get here (wherever "here" might actually be), let alone what will happen to them once they arrive. Besides a nebulous discussion about temporary housing on CFB Trenton (which according to the Toronto Star has a maximum capacity of 10,000), we've heard nothing.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-search-for-winter-housing-for-thousands.html

There is suppose to be temporary housing on a number of other bases as well.

There is suppose to be temporary housing on a number of other bases as well.
Sure. But that doesn't change the fact that we're still in the "spit-balling" stage here - not ready to execute an action plan. And the whole idea of the quota by a certain deadline just gets more and more unrealistic. As of this morning we'd have to land 609 today and every day between now and New Years. I'm looking forward to hearing absolutely anything that indicates actual people are on their way to Canada, regardless of the number. Until that happens it's all just political rhetoric.

Sure. But that doesn't change the fact that we're still in the "spit-balling" stage here - not ready to execute an action plan. And the whole idea of the quota by a certain deadline just gets more and more unrealistic. As of this morning we'd have to land 609 today and every day between now and New Years. I'm looking forward to hearing absolutely anything that indicates actual people are on their way to Canada, regardless of the number. Until that happens it's all just political rhetoric.

Oh I get that, just saying that more than Trenton is on the table.

....I see the resemblance...
Although somehow I doubt it is meant as a compliment, however that is how I will choose to take your comment. Thank you very much. I think the felt portrait my daughter made of me (my profile pic) is quite beautiful, as well as funny, especially since it was made by someone who loves me.

They are coming from refugee camps in Jordan where there are apparently over 600 000 Syrian refugees. They are being interviewed & prepped...
http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...n-canada-after-three-year-wait-in-jordan.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter