• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CANADA SAYS 100% VACCINATED FOR CRUISES IN 2022

I’m on the April 21 cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. US residents. I understand we test are port prior to boarding. And now it appears we do not have to test to get off in Canada. My question is , to fly back to the US from Vancouver , do you have to test ? Or just upload vaccination? If you have to test , is that done at airport or will Disney do that ? If Disney isn’t going to test when arriving in Canada , and we don’t have to test to fly to US , then I think we’re good. But if we do have to test before flying to US , I’d rather rent a car and drive to Seattle then fly home so we’re not stuck in Canada for two weeks. Anyone have any info about this ??
Right now we still have to test to fly back into the US. We are on the cruise from Hawaii to YVR and I went ahead and booked a rental car to drive to Seattle to fly home….one less hurdle to go through.

Right now we still have to test to fly back into the US. We are on the cruise from Hawaii to YVR and I went ahead and booked a rental car to drive to Seattle to fly home….one less hurdle to go through.

Thats what I thought, thank you . Now if I can just find an available rental car ! Thinking maybe this week as people cancel their cruises maybe one will open up.

Are you then flying home from Seattle or are you driving home? We are also on that cruise.

MJ

Are you then flying home from Seattle or are you driving home? We are also on that cruise.

MJ
We ate flying home, we live in Orlando. Even though it will take longer and be more of a hassle to get to Seattle we felt it was worth it not to have to test in order to get home.

We ate flying home, we live in Orlando. Even though it will take longer and be more of a hassle to get to Seattle we felt it was worth it not to have to test in order to get home.

Right now, when we debark in Vancouver we have 1 night booked at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport. I was hoping to test at the airport sometime on the 16th and then we fly out on the morning of the 17th. We are flying Air Canada to New York.

MJ

Is this an easy drive?

Is this an easy drive?
Google says it's about 153 miles, and just under 3 hours, from Vancouver to SeaTac. I have heard from friends in the PNW that the border crossing going north can get quite backed up, I don't know if the southern border crossing has the same issues.

Actually, both the CDC and the European regulations do have a role, because the ships sailing Canadian ports have to meet both of those regulations plus the Canadian requirements, per the Canadian requirements.
My point stands that it's CANADA determining the embarkation rules at Canadian ports -- even if they say "follow the CDC rules" because again, Canada is making that statement and it can change whenever Canada says they want to change.

I think what you mean is the cruiselines have to coordinate the various rules when ports of multiple countries are involved. However, I don't actually see reference in the Canadian requirements that specifically state anything about the CDC or European regulations. I know you read this stuff more thoroughly than I do, so maybe it missed it.

My point stands that it's CANADA determining the embarkation rules at Canadian ports -- even if they say "follow the CDC rules" because again, Canada is making that statement and it can change whenever Canada says they want to change.

I think what you mean is the cruiselines have to coordinate the various rules when ports of multiple countries are involved. However, I don't actually see reference in the Canadian requirements that specifically state anything about the CDC or European regulations. I know you read this stuff more thoroughly than I do, so maybe it missed it.

Absolutely Canada sets the rules for ships embarking their ports. However, within their rules they incorporate US and European rules, too.

Measures to Support Safe Cruise Travel in Canada - SSB No.: 18/2021 (modified February 18, 2022): https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-tran...nada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-february-18-2022

The Requirements for the COVID-19 Management Plan include: "in the case of a cruise ship that is a foreign vessel, the measures implemented to ensure that it complies with the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Framework for Conditional Sailing Order and the European Union's framework in relation to COVID-19 that apply to cruise ships"

So they have to meet those requirements, plus the Canadian requirements on top [which in some parts might be stricter, for example].

And then of course on top of all of that, they will have the rules for each of the ports, which for Canadian sailings involve multiple countries -- eg I was recently looking at some HAL sailings on the east coast, and some of those can include USA, Canada, Iceland, France (there is a little Island near Newfoundland that is part of France that some of their cruises stop at) and maybe even more ! At least for the Alaska cruises it is just Canada and the USA, though presumably each local port could have additional rules itself. I'd hate to have the job of trying to keep it all sorted !

(ETA: I envision some poor person whose job it is to keep a spreadsheet up to date of all the rules of all the jurisdictions with the "most restrictive" for each itinerary flagged....what a Herculean task)

SW

Last edited:
Can you share if you're picking up a rental car near the port to heading to the airport and picking up there?

We are getting ours near the port, I thought that would be easier. Hopefully it is! hahaha

Thanks - was able to get a one way rental through Avis, then a flight on Southwest out of Seattle. Fingers crossed for me also.

Thanks - was able to get a one way rental through Avis, then a flight on Southwest out of Seattle. Fingers crossed for me also.

I've been trying for a week, several times a day, every car rental near Vancouver and can't find one available!! Which Avis did you rent from?

I went with the Avis on Hornby - it came up when I googled Canada Place Cruise Ship Terminal Car Rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter