CANADA SAYS 100% VACCINATED FOR CRUISES IN 2022

I honestly don't know how they would handle this. Currently, you are not allowed to enter Canada with a positive test or risk getting fined $5000 per person. Obviously when you're on a cruise you have no choice because you have to go somewhere. For me currently, I live in a border city in Ontario but if I test positive, I can't cross the border back to Canada and drive 15 minutes to my house to go quarantine, I would have to stay at a hotel in the US to quarantine and can't cross back for 10 days (or until I get a negative test). I mean, allowing you to go home and quarantine would be the logical solution but....we can't currently do that right now so who knows.

Also wanted to add for anyone entering the US by land border, you do not currently need to have a covid test. So if you fly in/out of Seattle and drive to Vancouver from there, you won't need a test to return to the US, the test is only if you are arriving by air.
I could be wrong but dont think I am. If you are a Canadian citizen with a passport you cannot be turned away at the (Canadian) border. I cant speak to what they do with you at border crossing but you are permitted to enter. People have been entering Canada throughout the last two years by land and air. Even from the most Covid ravaged countries. Turn away a Canadian? Call me sentimental but I dont think so. Of course nothing would surprise me now.

I could be wrong but dont think I am. If you are a Canadian citizen with a passport you cannot be turned away at the (Canadian) border. I cant speak to what they do with you at border crossing but you are permitted to enter. People have been entering Canada throughout the last two years by land and air. Even from the most Covid ravaged countries. Turn away a Canadian? Call me sentimental but I dont think so. Of course nothing would surprise me now.
Here's what the government website says right now:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...ed-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully
A positive molecular pre-entry test result taken less than 10 calendar days before your planned entry or flight to Canada is not a valid test result for entry to Canada.

A positive antigen pre-entry test result is never a valid test result for boarding a flight or entry to Canada, not even if it is from within 10 to 180 calendar days before your date of entry.

Foreign nationals with symptoms or with a positive result from less than 10 calendar days before arriving will be denied entry.

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada at least 10 calendar days after your positive molecular test result. If travelling by air, you’ll be denied boarding. Counting starts the day following the day of testing.

• for example, if your positive COVID-19 molecular test was taken on January 1, then January 11 would be the first day you could use it
  • January 11 would be the earliest scheduled departure date of your flight to Canada, or the first day you could use it to enter Canada by land or water
  • if you had a positive antigen test result, you must either:
    • wait until you obtain a negative antigen test result,
    • obtain a positive molecular test result to use after 10 days have passed from the date the molecular test was taken, or
    • obtain a negative molecular test result which can be used within 72 hours of your scheduled flight or entry to Canada by land or water
  • if your positive proof is accepted you won’t have to take arrival or Day-8 tests
  • Canadians include citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons (refugee status)

Ok if you live in Vancouver. Not helpful for anyone else. This puts an end to cruising for us. We had a hard enough time finding a farm sitter for 7 days, they're not going to stick around another 5 days. I was hoping they would drop embarkation testing. But if someone who is positive gets on board, we could
all be positive after 7 days with no masks.

Canadian federal isolation time for a positive test is 10 days, with the date the test is taken being day zero.

Canadian federal quarantine time for close contacts exposed to a positive person, which presumably would apply for your stateroom companions, I believe is 14 days from date of last exposure.

The rules are in the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order requirements: https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=41627&lang=en

I’m actually wondering if DCL will require travel insurance that includes Covid quarantine coverage — like they did last summer for a short time when allowing unvaccinated passengers? They’ll expect you to have the coverage that will pay any post-cruise quarantine costs.

I am hopeful they would require and provide it as part of the insurance they sell, as finding such insurance can be difficult otherwise.

I’m actually wondering if DCL will require travel insurance that includes Covid quarantine coverage — like they did last summer for a short time when allowing unvaccinated passengers? They’ll expect you to have the coverage that will pay any post-cruise quarantine costs.
If that is the case they might as well cancel our Hawaii cruise. Many don’t have that nor can get it many policies exclude that now

I am hopeful they would require and provide it as part of the insurance they sell, as finding such insurance can be difficult otherwise.
If that is the case they might as well cancel our Hawaii cruise. Many don’t have that nor can get it many policies exclude that now
Since cruising resumed, the policy DCL offers does include some Covid-related expenses - at least adequate for what DCL required of unvaccinated passengers last summer. Many other travel coverage in the US also has included Covid coverage. I can’t speak to coverage offered in other countries.

Canada seems to think it’s still 2020. Do they not see the rest of the world is returning to normal? Honestly, you couldn’t pay me to travel there. It’s a shame it used to be such a great country to vacation in. DCL should cancel all cruises out of Vancouver.

I agree, I could say the same thing about a few other places as well.

Canada seems to think it’s still 2020. Do they not see the rest of the world is returning to normal? Honestly, you couldn’t pay me to travel there. It’s a shame it used to be such a great country to vacation in. DCL should cancel all cruises out of Vancouver.
Sadly I think DCL may have to cancel, or will be running the cruises largely empty. Maybe it will choose the latter.

I’m in the camp of add as many safety measures as you like—vaccines required, masks, capacity limits, don’t mind that. But I can’t risk losing my job because I am stranded in a foreign country in quarantine. Saw that happen to too many people who traveled internationally over Christmas. I’ve had two cruises booked for the same week for a while now: one on Disney and one on Princess out of Seattle. Figured I would most likely end up on princess but couldn’t quite let go of DCL just in case Canada lightened up restrictions. Ready to let go now. Now if only they would release summer 2023 so I can move my placeholder.

I agree that the prospect of being quarantined is the only real thing holding travel back right now for most people who are healthy, vaccinated and boosted, and still bound by jobs/school/other deadlines to get home.

But I wouldn't give up on the idea of summer travel just yet, if your cruise is later in the year. I think the rules might look very different come June/July when history has shown that covid cases will plummet and give us a reprieve.

I think DCL can't cancel. And keep in mind there are many Canadians on these sailings too. They really haven't any other option. Just cant park a ship anywhere and the running costs empty are not that much lower than with people. So Even a few hundred is better than sailing empty.

I think Americans are spoiled in the sense that quarantain was never a thing in the US (nobody checked nor cared, it was an honor system, lol). For the rest of the western world, yes people were and are still being quarantained. not just in Canada.

Sadly I think DCL may have to cancel, or will be running the cruises largely empty. Maybe it will choose the latter.

I’m in the camp of add as many safety measures as you like—vaccines required, masks, capacity limits, don’t mind that. But I can’t risk losing my job because I am stranded in a foreign country in quarantine. Saw that happen to too many people who traveled internationally over Christmas. I’ve had two cruises booked for the same week for a while now: one on Disney and one on Princess out of Seattle. Figured I would most likely end up on princess but couldn’t quite let go of DCL just in case Canada lightened up restrictions. Ready to let go now. Now if only they would release summer 2023 so I can move my placeholder.
First, which Princess cruise? We are sailing Princess to Alaska out of Seattle as well.

Second, I think that this is strictly an issue because of the embarkation/debarkation in Vancouver. I imagine (though it hasn't really been stated yet) that ships out of Seattle will either A) just bypass Victoria altogether if the Alaska delegation is successful with their 1 more year PVSA exemption extension, or B) just restrict the up to 5% non-vaccinated on cruises and those that are vaccinated that choose not to retest on the ship to not be able to get off the ship in Victoria.

Who I think this affect the most is people that have just recovered from COVID in the past weeks. In the US, most lines grant 90-day recovery exemptions because even if they decide "Hey, now I want to get vaccinated", most medical professionals are telling them they have to wait 90 days to get the shot.

Right now, I think my only concern is coming up with a Quarantine Plan. I can deal with the testing requirements and other hoops. But since we are flying in from the US, so I'm not sure how to even start the quarantine plan. Since it looks like one of the requirements is for you enter the location that you will stay and isolate.

Psy

Right now, I think my only concern is coming up with a Quarantine Plan. I can deal with the testing requirements and other hoops. But since we are flying in from the US, so I'm not sure how to even start the quarantine plan. Since it looks like one of the requirements is for you enter the location that you will stay and isolate.

Psy
Agree that Quarantine in Canada is my main concern. I found this section on the Canada travel restrictions site about Leaving Canada before the end of your 14 day quarantine.

Leaving Canada during your quarantine period
If you do not have symptoms, you may choose to leave Canada before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. However, you must:

• continue to quarantine yourself until your departure date
  • wear a mask when you depart Canada
  • comply with all regulations for the country of destination
If you are in a federal designated quarantine facility, you must get authorization from a quarantine officer to leave.

Does this mean if you were to test positive onboard but you were asymptomatic you could drive back to US after disembarking, as my understanding is that entering US as a US citizen by car does not require testing proof.
Appreciate any insights/experiences others might have on this.

Agree that Quarantine in Canada is my main concern. I found this section on the Canada travel restrictions site about Leaving Canada before the end of your 14 day quarantine.

Leaving Canada during your quarantine period
If you do not have symptoms, you may choose to leave Canada before the end of the 14-day quarantine period. However, you must:

• continue to quarantine yourself until your departure date
  • wear a mask when you depart Canada
  • comply with all regulations for the country of destination
If you are in a federal designated quarantine facility, you must get authorization from a quarantine officer to leave.

Does this mean if you were to test positive onboard but you were asymptomatic you could drive back to US after disembarking, as my understanding is that entering US as a US citizen by car does not require testing proof.
Appreciate any insights/experiences others might have on this.
That’s interesting. 🤔 this just might be with some people need to know that would convince them not to cancel. The issue is if you fly back into the US you need to have a negative test. Granted this is antigen and from my experience people who test positive with no symptoms test negative a couple days later anyways. Another words the quarantine length is longer than what most people test positive for with antigen tests

First, which Princess cruise? We are sailing Princess to Alaska out of Seattle as well.

Second, I think that this is strictly an issue because of the embarkation/debarkation in Vancouver. I imagine (though it hasn't really been stated yet) that ships out of Seattle will either A) just bypass Victoria altogether if the Alaska delegation is successful with their 1 more year PVSA exemption extension, or B) just restrict the up to 5% non-vaccinated on cruises and those that are vaccinated that choose not to retest on the ship to not be able to get off the ship in Victoria.

Who I think this affect the most is people that have just recovered from COVID in the past weeks. In the US, most lines grant 90-day recovery exemptions because even if they decide "Hey, now I want to get vaccinated", most medical professionals are telling them they have to wait 90 days to get the shot.
We're booked on the July 31 Discovery Princess sailing, roundtrip from Seattle. My guess is they will make Victoria (and any skagway excursions that go up into Canada) optional--if you want to go on land in Canada, you need to sign up and take a test in the ship's medical facility the day before, but if not, you can just stay on the ship and bypass Canada. At least that's what I hope--we were planning to skip Victoria anyway as the ship is there from 7pm until midnight and our kids have early bedtimes.

I do worry Princess won't be as much fun for the kids as Disney, but at least they'll get to see Alaska, and I'm tired of putting off this vacation over and over.

We're booked on the July 31 Discovery Princess sailing, roundtrip from Seattle. My guess is they will make Victoria (and any skagway excursions that go up into Canada) optional--if you want to go on land in Canada, you need to sign up and take a test in the ship's medical facility the day before, but if not, you can just stay on the ship and bypass Canada. At least that's what I hope--we were planning to skip Victoria anyway as the ship is there from 7pm until midnight and our kids have early bedtimes.

I do worry Princess won't be as much fun for the kids as Disney, but at least they'll get to see Alaska, and I'm tired of putting off this vacation over and over.
Well, we are on Crown Princess so we will miss you.

I think you will like Princess. Our DD (teenager) likes it just as much if not better than DCL. Discovery is the newest ship, so that will be nice. DO NOT miss Alfredo's!

Well, we are on Crown Princess so we will miss you.

I think you will like Princess. Our DD (teenager) likes it just as much if not better than DCL. Discovery is the newest ship, so that will be nice. DO NOT miss Alfredo's!
Thanks! Enjoy the Crown! It definitely looked like it had the better itinerary with Glacier Bay, but we really needed connecting rooms with our kids and there were more of those on the Discovery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter