CANADA SAYS 100% VACCINATED FOR CRUISES IN 2022

Just for clarification.....no matter what 3 tests will be taken? A test before flying to Vancouver. A 2nd
DCL test at the port. 3rd test before we Disembark?

As it stands now, yes. DCL could still change their testing policy and align it with Transport Canada and so only 2 tests would be required. But I'd say that is TBD.

Just for clarification.....no matter what 3 tests will be taken? A test before flying to Vancouver. A 2nd
DCL test at the port. 3rd test before we Disembark?

That’s my read of it. At least 2 times are arranged by DCL.

better yet would be if the US dropped the return test requirement (we are planning to stay in Canada for 6 days after our cruise - which means a 4th test we need to coordinate).

That’s my read of it. At least 2 times are arranged by DCL.

better yet would be if the US dropped the return test requirement (we are planning to stay in Canada for 6 days after our cruise - which means a 4th test we need to coordinate).
We were planning to stay 4 days afterwards also so I guess that means another 4th test before flying
home. Oh decisions decisions .

We are staying inSeattle for 2 days before the cruise - not sure if we should get pcr tested Friday night on the east coast where we live or find antigen testing that’s open on a Sunday in Seattle.

Interesting on cruise critic Alaska forum some are posting this doesn't look good for Cruise
ships as they don't see them wanting to foot bills for testing before AND after. Especially those
ships carrying 3k passengers leaving every week.

Interesting on cruise critic Alaska forum some are posting this doesn't look good for Cruise
ships as they don't see them wanting to foot bills for testing before AND after. Especially those
ships carrying 3k passengers leaving every week.
I'm not reading it that ships are accountable to test passengers at boarding - doesn't today's news mean that cruise companies only need to verify a test that passengers take up to 72 hours prior to boarding? And then, yes, they'd need to provide the test prior to disembarkation.

Cruise lines could continue to provide the extra layer of caution by testing upon embarkation, but I don't think it's required.

We are staying inSeattle for 2 days before the cruise - not sure if we should get pcr tested Friday night on the east coast where we live or find antigen testing that’s open on a Sunday in Seattle.
Me personally I'd go with antigen.. no risk of testing positive for a past infections.

I'm not reading it that ships are accountable to test passengers at boarding - doesn't today's news mean that cruise companies only need to verify a test that passengers take up to 72 hours prior to boarding? And then, yes, they'd need to provide the test prior to disembarkation.

Cruise lines could continue to provide the extra layer of caution by testing upon embarkation, but I don't think it's required.
Others yes. DCL for now you get tested at the port regardless. Also for those other ships some
have stops at Victoria. What if you want to get off? That is Canada so you need a test so are they
paying for that? After all it is a port stop.

As I sit here thinking more and more about this release I can’t help but think it’s a bit overkill. All this testing is ridiculous I wonder if they wind up dropping or changing some of it. I mean Hawaii has dropped all their crazy requirements, many European nations are not requiring testing or proof of vaccination, and even NYC is dropping proof of vaccination. Like many others we have been waiting for 3 years for this cruise and are in desperate need of some happiness but if all this stays in place we will be canceling which is to bad because I have a placeholder on this booking that expires in September. I will just be to worried of one of us testing positive at the end of a great vacation and being stuck in Canada for extra time.

I think Canada is going to be a no for me with these requirements. I've cruised three times in recent months with Carnival and Princess with the only requirement being an antigen test within two days of departure. There haven't been significant outbreaks on any ships. Between Canada's requirements and DCL still wanting to test at the port, it's just too much to worry about. I really wanted to do the Hawaii to Vancouver sailing, but unless something changes before final payment, I will probably go with my backup plan of Alaska RT from Seattle on HAL.

We are on the Hawaii to Vancouver also and my question is with these new requirements is:

Do we have to test up to 72 hours before boarding the ship in the Hawaii? Or that just for ships starting in Canada? Hawaii dropped their entry testing but sound like we may have to test anyway in Hawaii to meet Canada's requirement. And then again onboard 72 hours before arrival to Canada and then again when we disembark......:rolleyes1

MJ

It is Step 1 of direct answers -- clarification from Canada what is required.
Step 2 will need to come from DCL regarding how they plan to handle what was outlined in Step 1.
Bingo. I hope DCL sees that if they remove the at port testing for those who have tests within the required time frame ( tests to enter Canada) they will keep passengers. I know on other forums for many between having Canadian requirements and then DCL adding this on top ( which is not required) is a bit too much and in their eyes making it harder to sail.

My only hope is that DCL sees this as an opportunity to save money (I dont want to know what PCR port testing cost them with outsourcing) and stops doing the at port testing and focus on onboard testing as required to disembark. Seeing a good majority of their passengers,, non-canadian need to test anyways to get to the port city (enter CA) and locals can get an antigen.

We are on the Hawaii to Vancouver also and my question is with these new requirements is:

Do we have to test up to 72 hours before boarding the ship in the Hawaii? Or that just for ships starting in Canada? Hawaii dropped their entry testing but sound like we may have to test anyway in Hawaii to meet Canada's requirement. And then again onboard 72 hours before arrival to Canada and then again when we disembark......:rolleyes1

MJ
DCL still does pre-boarding testing at the port. That should cover this particular requirement. (I'm on the same cruise)

DCL still does pre-boarding testing at the port. That should cover this particular requirement. (I'm on the same cruise)

Great...I knew they were still doing testing in the terminal and was hoping that would count!!! Thanks

MJ

Bingo. I hope DCL sees that if they remove the at port testing for those who have tests within the required time frame ( tests to enter Canada) they will keep passengers. I know on other forums for many between having Canadian requirements and then DCL adding this on top ( which is not required) is a bit too much and in their eyes making it harder to sail.

My only hope is that DCL sees this as an opportunity to save money (I dont want to know what PCR port testing cost them with outsourcing) and stops doing the at port testing and focus on onboard testing as required to disembark. Seeing a good majority of their passengers,, non-canadian need to test anyways to get to the port city (enter CA) and locals can get an antigen.
As a Canadian, who lives just outside of Vancouver and who has an Alaskan cruise booked for this July, I am also anxious to see what DCL has to say. Getting an antigen test here for travel is NOT easy. While some provinces, like AB and ON have very cheap options available to them, we in BC do not. A travel clinic will cost $110+ a person. I can get home tests done by telehealth with Switch Health for $40/ person so that may be the route we have to take. We do have at home tests given to us for free by the school district but I'm assuming we need tests that are lab verified.

You wrote "Canada was never going to give up cruise ships. IMHO " - there's an internet meme about a Rick Astley song - "Never going to give you up" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling) - where you lead someone to believe one thing and then they click and they get the Rick Astley song...so I was arguing, Canada was leading us to believe they were giving up cruise ships and then we clicked...and got Rick Astley singing...

Sorry!
I'm so old!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter