Canada in EPCOT

My hubby and I find our Canada exhibit pretty lame as well - love Le Cellier & Roots store though! Pretty much for all of the reasons listed, except to add a Tim Horton's. I think the whole idea that Canada should be represented by Tim Horton's is a disgrace as all it does is show that our country is full of caffeine addicted people who are becoming increasingly overweight and obese as they are also addicted to extremely fattening donuts and muffins.

Sorry, but I don't want people from other countries to identify being Canadian as coffee and donuts - that's not true of my household, so it wouldn't be representative of me at all. Now, if they want to make an exhibit showcasing what Mr.Tim Horton the man did, that is great, but showcasing the fact that Canada is a country of excess is not a great idea, IMHO.

Tiger

I think a lot of people may be missing the point of World Showcase. It's not to provide an accurate modern day representation of the countries around the lagoon, but rather to replicate the tourist picture postcard idea of the places and histrical architechure and landmarks. I guarantee you that natives from each country complain about their own pavillion and say that the costumes are nothing at all like what they wear at home, the movies are old and the architecture looks nothing like the house they live in. I worked in the Canadian pavillion a number of years ago and I heard this from all my fellow cast members from the other countries about their pavillions.

Think about going into the the Germany, Norway, or France pavillions. Are you upset that they aren't exactly like it would be if you got on a plane today and visited each of those places? Probably not. You probably like the Bavarian village (which is only representative of a particular region of Germany not the whole country), or the castle and wooden buildings (whch aren't what modern people live in in Norway), or the Parisian streets of the past.

What would be interesting or unique about building the pavilion to look like Toronto? Or tearing out the Mexican pyramid and replacing it with a modern day Mexico city in miniature? How about replacing the American Adventure with a Walmart since that's where Americans really spend a lot of their time?

For me, I think the pavillion is the right version for Epcot. Epcot is a theme park and it tries to be both give people a flavour of the place while being entertaining at the same time. Buying Tim Horton's coffee and doughnuts under a mini-CN Tower would just not be interesting as a theme park experience or compell people to see more. I'll admit that updating the movie would be great, but almost all areas of Canada are represented in the pavillion in some small way, except the prarie provinces. It's too bad they removed the Boutique store from the upper level since it removed any life from that particular area, but I still think the Canadian pavillion is one of Epcot's best. It's one of the few where you can get deep enough back into it to be totally surrounded by the environment.

Just my opinion, and I know I'll be in the minority.

Darren

P.S. If you think lumberjack shirts are bad, think about what the German male CM's wear or the Norwegian puffy shirts and vests. Lumberjack shirts with pants/shorts aren't really that bad by comparison.

P.P.S. I've seen lots of totem poles out here on the west cost. They are definitely found in great numbers in Canada. Have a look west past the Ontario border:teeth:

I do love the water area in the Canada Pavillion. It is peaceful and beautiful.

I went to Epcot for the first time in October, and as a very proud Canadian, was excited to go to the Canadian Pavillion. Unfortunately, I walked away very disappointed. The 360 film was interesting, but ridiculously out-dated, and other than a 10 second glimpse of Toronto, and 5 seconds in Ottawa, it completely missed Ontario (the most populous province). Where was Niagara Falls, the Great Lakes, the CN Tower? But for that matter, the Red Clay of PEI, etc? Could be my memory, but I saw it as heavily BC/Quebec, with a splash of prairie wheat and Calgary Stampede. The gardens were beautiful, but Canada was boring as heck, and the souvenier stands did not feel Canadian. We were badly upstaged by Mexico.
other countries give a taste of their culture, and Canada needs to have;
1. Tim Horton's coffee
2. a Canadian beer booth, with provincial brands; Moosehead, Alexander Keiths, Kokanee, Red Rock.
3. small bottles of Rye whiskey, and real Canadian Maple Syrup
4. poutine, venison, ketchup chips.......
5. some reference to hockey

I don't mind the lumberjack attire, but pleeeeease lose the Bruce Coburn/Gordon Lightfoot music. We missed off kilter, and were shocked that with all of the great Canadian music out there........ Bryan Adams, Great Big Sea, I Mother Earth, Jan Arden, Blue Rodeo, matthew Good, Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morrisette, Nickelback, Our Lady Peace, Tea Party, Treble Charger, the Hip..........we have 30 year old folk music piped in.

Fellowship9798 said:
I think a lot of people may be missing the point of World Showcase. It's not to provide an accurate modern day representation of the countries around the lagoon, but rather to replicate the tourist picture postcard idea of the places and histrical architechure and landmarks. I guarantee you that natives from each country complain about their own pavillion and say that the costumes are nothing at all like what they wear at home, the movies are old and the architecture looks nothing like the house they live in. I worked in the Canadian pavillion a number of years ago and I heard this from all my fellow cast members from the other countries about their pavillions.

Think about going into the the Germany, Norway, or France pavillions. Are you upset that they aren't exactly like it would be if you got on a plane today and visited each of those places? Probably not. You probably like the Bavarian village (which is only representative of a particular region of Germany not the whole country), or the castle and wooden buildings (whch aren't what modern people live in in Norway), or the Parisian streets of the past.

What would be interesting or unique about building the pavilion to look like Toronto? Or tearing out the Mexican pyramid and replacing it with a modern day Mexico city in miniature? How about replacing the American Adventure with a Walmart since that's where Americans really spend a lot of their time?

For me, I think the pavillion is the right version for Epcot. Epcot is a theme park and it tries to be both give people a flavour of the place while being entertaining at the same time. Buying Tim Horton's coffee and doughnuts under a mini-CN Tower would just not be interesting as a theme park experience or compell people to see more. I'll admit that updating the movie would be great, but almost all areas of Canada are represented in the pavillion in some small way, except the prarie provinces. It's too bad they removed the Boutique store from the upper level since it removed any life from that particular area, but I still think the Canadian pavillion is one of Epcot's best. It's one of the few where you can get deep enough back into it to be totally surrounded by the environment.

Darren

P.S. If you think lumberjack shirts are bad, think about what the German male CM's wear or the Norwegian puffy shirts and vests. Lumberjack shirts with pants/shorts aren't really that bad by comparison.

P.P.S. I've seen lots of totem poles out here on the west cost. They are definitely found in great numbers in Canada. Have a look west past the Ontario border:teeth:

Darren I agree with your post as I to am in the minority of the fact that the pavillion is just perfect how it is in it's depiction of Canada. I think it would be a terrible loss to update and modernize it as it would then lose that Canadian feeling it has one that maes me proud to say I am Canadian when we are there.

I remember going to the Canadian pavilion as a kid and thinking - wow isn't our country cool! And now 25 years later - other than adding a cheap place for a good cup of coffee - I don't think I would want it to change. Sometimes it's nice to find something that still matches your childhood memories. I can't wait to bring my 8 year old around it next month - I'm interested in seeing what his perception is.

Haven't been yet so I can't comment on how it IS...but....I think all the points about what it "should have" are great. I think a "Canadian Entertainment Greats" something

Another one my DH came up with.....the first thing he thinks of what he thinks "Canada" is Freshwater fishing and Beavers! All out freshwater lakes....The Great Lakes!

they need an update for sure.

- The movie is out dated,
- Great Canadians/Entertainers, ie: Banting or Jim Carry or Celine Dion .
- Originators in sports, Basketball, Hockey, lacrosse, curling (football maybe)
- Contributions to space/science/medicine Canada arm and our astronauts.
- Contibutions to Disney ie: Winnie the Pooh, Rutt and tuk (toque) in Brother bear, Walts parents, and the inspiration to Main Street USA.
- The tallest structure in the world CN tower.
- World largest coastline boardering 3 major oceans.
- 2nd largest country in the world.
- Regional diversity of canada, having rainforests, deserts bearing cactus and sand dunes, rocky mountains, praries, Artic tundra and iceberg laden north, and the Maritimes and Quebec's historical walled city quebec (world historical site, and Niagra Falls (good side).
- Oil reserves 2nd only to Saudi Arabia. the list goes on and on.

Fellowship9798 said:

Darren

Agreed. But of course DH and I are biased as like Darren we are Canada pavillon alum.

I also find it depressing that people would rather see Tim Horton's, coffee and stale donuts than totem poles, our outdoor, mining and trapping history and a miniature Rocky Mountains.

Also as for representing the diversity of Canada, that's what the CM's are for! On any given trip you will probably meet CM's from almost every province in Canada. One of my favourite parts of the job was talking to International guests about my home. Explaning a Beaver Tail can be bought on the Rideau canal during Winter Carnival and how Ice Wine is made among other things.

I am in agreement with Darren.
I am partial to the movie (does need seats - bar stools maybe). A number of the scenes take place in my neighbourhood. Mid trip my kids love to go and see our house in the background behind the hockey rink.
In response to other comments - I've seen many totem poles - east and west. We consume Beavertails often.

Anyone ever been to the Canada & the World Pavillion in Ottawa - now closed due to lack of ....interest? These exhibits, likely in storage somewhere, neatly sum up many of Canada's great accomplishments. This who's who of great Canadians would be a nice addition to the Pavillion.

O.k....I don't want this to turn into a debate but.....Canada was built on the FUR trade, not the lumber trade. Not that lumber has been *unimprotant* but....I think that having the Fur trade represent Canada would be mor appropriate...or is that just not P.C. enough?....I realize that people "now" are against fur but...if you truly want to represent Canada I think Fur is it. KWIM? Trapper costumes would be much more representitive IMHO.

Funny...or ironic really...."Look mommy, that guy is wearing Meeko on his head!Is that Bambi's carcass stretched on that rack over there between the totem poles?Why is Winnie laid out in front of the fireplace like that?Thumper stew!"(just kidding everyone!) I can just imagine. Maybe Norweign and Japan could join in with films on their whaling practices...I mean research practices. Your right...the fur trade albeit the truth about our historical roots would be interesting but it may be to sensitive for the G rated audience it would be playing to. I would much rather see something on the underground railroad instead wouldn't you? I wonder how that would play to visitors interested in finding out more about Canadian heritage? or even a compilation of those Moments in Canadian history (heritage moments) that the CBC loves to run? I think I'll stick with the safe, boring movie that they are showing right now if it comes down to it. After all this is just a snapshot of the country it's not like visiting it. :paw: Just an aside...I still think our pavillion is one of the better ones (really who has ridden the ride in the Mexican pavillion...the smell of mildew is enough to cause seizures...and those effects are killer)!
Be kind everyone...I am not up for intense debate...it's my day off. :paw:

jocie said:
Great thread!!

When we were there last Aug, I also felt that the pavillion did not represent Canada well! I have lived in Canada all my life...duh! :rotfl2: and I have never eaten a beaver tail......I also thought the lumberjack costumes were less than appealing! I like the 'Timmies' idea and the water rafting, also something about the Canadian rockies. I'm from Winnipeg and I can't see them doing anything about how friggin cold it is here..... :scared1:

Jocie

I didn't realize that they had beavertails there!!! Being from Ottawa, I am insulted that they branched out to different places in canada...used to be that a beavertail was best enjoyed by a tourist or local when skating on the canal in the winter, or walking around the byward market in the summer....

it represents Ottawa, but the food itself doesn't represent Canada per sey...but Tim Horton's :worship: sure would!!!! (and i too would have a hard time not making the family detour in the am before heading off to a diff park LOLOL :tongue:

I had a Beaver tail at the base of Whistler mountain and I loved it (unlike those gross gravey fries).

However, when I tried the Beaver tail at EPCOT Canada...it sucked and I threw it in the trash.

If they can't get the beaver tails right, maybe they would screw up Tim Hortons???

About 3 or 4 years ago they changed the way they made the BeaverTails. When I worked there in 97/98 it was float cooked in oil fresh from the dough. Then they were pre made and almost toasted, gross.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter